F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Anyone order 435i in SoCal yet?
Studio RSR

10-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i M-Sport - SB

Anyone order 435i in SoCal yet?

Getting ready to put in my order. Been to a handful of dealerships in the SoCal area and am curious about how close to invoice I may be able to negotiate or if I'm at the mercy of MSRP.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

I just picked up my 435i in Munich on Monday. I paid full ED MSRP. I've heard some people are getting 2-2500 off US MSRP when ordering US deliveries at dealerships that they have long histories and relationships with. However, it's reasonable to expect most dealers in SoCal will try to get MSRP because they can and the cars are few and far between right now. Try Greg Poland in Glendale at Pacific BMW. He's straightforward and honest and will give you every dollar off that the market will bare. Or try Jon Schafer at Santa Barbara BMW. He will as well. Beyond that, if you're just walking in without previous purchases or BMW leases, could be a tough sell as a new customer to get anything off.

However, my car is 435i MSport EBII and red coral. It's the best car I've ever owned its a great buy! Order it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, watch out for the nastiest dealer trick in the book. They are short on allocations for this new car. So lots of dealers will make you put a deposit down, and take your order fully knowing that they don't have an allocation spot for it for 1-2 months. So, that can mean 1-2 months of waiting until they even start setting up production on the vehicle, not to mention the 2-3 weeks production and 8 weeks shipping.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
or0b0to
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Something old and moldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
Also, watch out for the nastiest dealer trick in the book. They are short on allocations for this new car. So lots of dealers will make you put a deposit down, and take your order fully knowing that they don't have an allocation spot for it for 1-2 months. So, that can mean 1-2 months of waiting until they even start setting up production on the vehicle, not to mention the 2-3 weeks production and 8 weeks shipping.
I'll attest to this.

Took 3 weeks to get a production number for me after putting down my deposit on an order.

It really depends on your build though...

435 will be harder to come by than a 428
RWD in a cold climate harder to come by than Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After working with Greg Poland, ill never put down a deposit on an ordered vehicle. He didn't demand one and I had been to a few dealers ahead of time who wanted to play that game with me...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thx guys. I've been to 3 different dealerships in SoCal, walking in with my spec sheet/build and letting them know they don't have to sell me on the car as I've already decided to buy it. The only question is, who I will buy it from. I've informed the dealers I've met that I am bidding this out -- not planning on shopping numbers from dealer to dealer but will simply buy from whoever gives me the best deal. My hope is this encourages them to not jerk me around and simply offer me a price (below MSRP) that they feel comfortable selling the car at.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfwb11 View Post
Thx guys. I've been to 3 different dealerships in SoCal, walking in with my spec sheet/build and letting them know they don't have to sell me on the car as I've already decided to buy it. The only question is, who I will buy it from. I've informed the dealers I've met that I am bidding this out -- not planning on shopping numbers from dealer to dealer but will simply buy from whoever gives me the best deal. My hope is this encourages them to not jerk me around and simply offer me a price (below MSRP) that they feel comfortable selling the car at.
Did you try Steve Thomas BMW? Maybe they are one of the 3... if not, add them to the list! In fact, go there first.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Zoolander10z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker View Post
Did you try Steve Thomas BMW? Maybe they are one of the 3... if not, add them to the list! In fact, go there first.
Thats exactly what i did.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What kind of quotes are you getting? Telling random dealers when walking in that you're already sold and going to be buying might not help. I did the same walking into multiple Audi, Mercedes Benz, and BMW dealers. I told them all I wanted to buy a coupe for between 55-60k cash. I thought that would get people paying attention and dealing. However, I got jerked around. Before you waste to much time, contact Jon Schafer at Santa Barbara BMW, Greg Poland at Pacific BMW, or David Aviles at Steve Thomas BMW.

These guys will all start with their best offer. They won't bullshit you, and won't try to sneak any extra cash in for themselves on leases either by jacking up the MF and/or adding to the acquisition fee or hiding incentives.

Seriously, the right CA is the key to this proccess.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So basically I'm walking into the dealership, talking with a CA for a few minutes before test driving the car. When the CA starts trying to "sell" me on it, I just give him a copy of my build and tell him I'm going to buy the car.... it's just a matter of where; encouraging them to be competitive.

I've only gotten 1 quote back so far -- BMW Bev Hills -- and they say it's selling at MSRP. No way I'm paying MSRP.... I'm in a great position because even though I want it, I don't need it; makes it easy for me to walk away from "they're only selling at sticker" quotes.

I'll give Pacific and Steve Thomas a shot next. Just wish someone had recently gone through the process in CA so there was evidence that deals can be made.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've heard that Beverly Hills BMW (which is laughably outside of Bev Hills proper) is a great place for servicing the car, but that those dealers don't deal. That's likely because of how many west siders walk in with cash to throw away without a thought. I live in Studio City, and my local dealer was Century West BMW and they didn't give me much attention. They put with the lowest youngest guy on the totem pole. A 24 year old kid who when I googled is famous for driving insanely fast in northern Indiana and being arrested as a teenager for doing so.

He played some games with me and wanted a deposit for my build but told me I couldn't get the European Delivery date I wanted. (Said it had to be after OCT 16). I however found Greg Poland thru the forums and he nailed me the date at the end of my already scheduled family trip to Europe. So, my savings were very real.

Like I said before, I had I had contacted Steve Thomas and they gave me a fair honest quote and were frank and honest that all their immediate allocations were spoken for until October for 435i, they would be happy to slot me in there, but I wanted it sooner.

Also, just be sure to ask if any dealer is wanting to take your order, that you ask "is this an October build allocation you're discussing or November?" Make them talk in the defenite, not the abstract.

This removes the likelihood that they will take your money and penalize you for canceling when you find out they are secretly planning on securing your build for January slot.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
markmatthews
Private
Rep
Drives: LS3 Z51 MZ6

The best I could do so far is $1,000 over invoice on an ordered car, but still waiting for actual monthly break downs to make sure they (5 dealerships) are not going to jack up the money factor or add in other fees. These 5 dealers are within a 300 miles radius to Los Angeles, closest being 70 miles.

Some dealerships told me they had cars inbound but most inbound 435i's are totally loaded. I'm just after the N55 and for a third car really don't want to overpay with $12k+ worth of options...

I'm not trying to bend dealerships over but at the same time don't want to look back at my deal next summer and regret the premium I paid just to get the car now (8-10 weeks for an ordered car...that's not even "now")

Bah...first world problems I know
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
markmatthews
Private
Rep

Just got a dealership quote me $900 over invoice

$600 drive off

$600 per month including tax

manual 435i zero options

Is this a good deal???

It's slightly irritating as I know if there are more 435i's on the lot I can get a more optioned car for the same price (albeit without manual tranny) but most dealerships only have 1 or 2 and a limited number of loaded 435i's inbound for the next 30 days...

Sorry for the rant it's my first time getting a car that's super rare and is at the start of its production...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Funny... Beverly Hills claims to only be selling at MSRP. A 5-minute phone call to one of the dealerships mentioned above has already yielded me a better price -- about 3.5% over invoice but hoping for even better. Mine will most likely have to be a build because there are certain things I want but don't need/want everything in that "package" so I doubt an already ordered one would suit my desires.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
markmatthews
Private
Rep

YGPM
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I haven't bought a car in a long time but I know there are two schools of thought during a process like this:

1) Play the fool and then negotiate the best deal after consuming massive amounts of the CA's time.

2) Play the fan and negotiate the best deal right out of the gate after consuming 15 minutes of the CA's time.

I'm always an educated buyer and my time is too valuable to waste; which is why I go the second route. I think smart salespeople and management know they make money by moving volume, not by squabbling over peanuts on a single, time-consuming deal.

It's funny how the all the CA's make you feel like a scorned spouse. As if shopping at other dealers is cheating on them. Nothing personal vs the CA, but I try to make it cleat that this is a bid process, plain & simple. I tell you what I want, you put together your best deal. Best deal gets my business. Period.

Sounds like some guys at Steve Thomas & Pacific are smart enough to know this. Beverly Hills... meh...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'm also buying. No lease for me. Planning either finance or BMW Select.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
EyeSky
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 435i

Hey guys! I'm looking to put an order in the next couple weeks so I'm also in the same boat. I think I'm gonna stick to the 3 dealers already mentioned and go from there...

What ETAs were you guys given for custom orders? Its soo true every 4 series out there currently seems to be fully loaded. Also does anyone know the residual value for 36m/10k for the 435i?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
markmatthews
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm also buying. No lease for me. Planning either finance or BMW Select.
FYI, Penfed.org has a 60 months @ 1.99 APR - https://www.penfed.org/New-Auto-Loan/. I've used them for over 5 cars. You just need to become their member unless you're in the military. Non-military members pay something like $20 per year IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSky View Post
What ETAs were you guys given for custom orders? Its soo true every 4 series out there currently seems to be fully loaded. Also does anyone know the residual value for 36m/10k for the 435i?
I was told 8-12 weeks for an ordered car.

The residual for 36 months @ 10k per year for a 435i is 63%. Best money factor is 0.00125, or 3% APR (multiply money factor by 2400)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
EyeSky
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 435i

Thanks Mark! This will be my first time purchasing a car in California so I'm wondering how much were your drive offs? Assuming no money down, not including first payment or MSDs does somewhere in the neighborhood $1400-$1500 (misc fees) make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

1500 drive offs in California without MSDs sounds right
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
markmatthews
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSky View Post
Thanks Mark! This will be my first time purchasing a car in California so I'm wondering how much were your drive offs? Assuming no money down, not including first payment or MSDs does somewhere in the neighborhood $1400-$1500 (misc fees) make sense?
I never put any money down on a lease, though I don't really mind first month payment as drive off.

For the additional fees that will be added to the selling price of your car, they are as follows:
  • Acquisition Fee: around $725, I think it's more if rolled into monthly not sure if that's true
  • Doc fee: around $80
  • Upfront Taxes: Acquisition fee + Doc Fee multiplied by your tax rate
  • DMV fee: around $400 for me, Los Angeles county

If anybody see any errors here please correct me!
Appreciate 0