F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M performance springs without shocks
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #67
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Aren't guys doing the same with HR springs withy the DHP?
Exactly, it should be even better since the M perf springs have nowhere near the drop of HR or Eibach. But I guess no one wants to be the first.

edit: Also, Dinan springs specifically tuned for DHP will be out within a few weeks, which may be the better option in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #68
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

money no object, would people get the full MPS system? or is this purely a cosmetic play to drop the car for the least amount of money without ruining the ride? or finding out you need to buy new shocks?

we all bought a relatively expensive car compared to A-->B transportation, I would think at this level of money, mods would be done right the first time.

proper matched springs/shocks and possibly sways

back in my VW mod days, I saw the cheap way all the time, and you see it all around with modestly priced Honda/Toyota cars. I just didn't expect to see it on the new F30 scene.

BMW has released a perfectly matched kit. a bit expensive and the drop may not be to everyone's liking, but there's some real R&D testing put behind it. As a performance product, it's perfect, until you get into variant 2/3 coil overs where you can really fine tune.

Last edited by focal; 01-03-2014 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #69
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
money no object, would people get the full MPS system? or is this purely a cosmetic play to drop the car for the least amount of money without ruining the ride? or finding out you need to buy new shocks?

we all bought a relatively expensive car compared to A-->B transportation, I would think at this level of money, mods would be done right the first time.

back in my VW mod days, I saw the cheap way all the time, and you see it all around with modestly priced Honda/Toyota cars. I just didn't expect to see it on the new F30 scene.

BMW has released a perfectly matched kit. a bit expensive and the drop may not be to everyone's liking, but there's some real R&D testing put behind it. As a performance product, it's perfect, until you get into variant 2/3 coil overs where you can really find tune.
They don't sell it to customers with DHP since it's "not compatible". Of course you can install it, but then you lose your dynamic driving modes and you need to find a code delete or find someone to code out the errors for you. That's why people are wondering if the springs would work well with the DHP dampers or if it creates an untuned mess. (I'd guess the former)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #70
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
They don't sell it to customers with DHP since it's "not compatible". Of course you can install it, but then you lose your dynamic driving modes and you need to find a code delete or find someone to code out the errors for you. That's why people are wondering if the springs would work well with the DHP dampers or if it creates an untuned mess. (I'd guess the former)
patience I guess is hard if you leased a '12..car's due in a year
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #71
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal

BMW has released a perfectly matched kit. a bit expensive and the drop may not be to everyone's liking, but there's some real R&D testing put behind it. As a performance product, it's perfect, until you get into variant 2/3 coil overs where you can really find tune.
That's why I bought the full MPS...because the R&D behind it.

I'm assuming the M3 will be better, which excites me even more...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #72
Jvee90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
this is why i'm considering it, personally. i don't want to lose my dhp, but i want to drop it just a little bit lower and see if it feels more planted, less floaty. the H&Rs are too aggressive a drop for me considering i have a very steep driveway and would bottom out every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #73
Jvee90
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
edit: Also, Dinan springs specifically tuned for DHP will be out within a few weeks, which may be the better option in the end.
how do you know Dinan's will be out within a few weeks? I heard from them on New Year's Eve regarding software and they said they're still having challenges reverse-engineering the 128-bit encryption and they can't communicate with it either. they're hopeful to have a solution sometime in 2014. I asked if that meant first half or second half and they responded as it's unknown.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #74
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvee90 View Post
how do you know Dinan's will be out within a few weeks? I heard from them on New Year's Eve regarding software and they said they're still having challenges reverse-engineering the 128-bit encryption and they can't communicate with it either. they're hopeful to have a solution sometime in 2014. I asked if that meant first half or second half and they responded as it's unknown.
Yes, they're still waiting for BMW's cooperation (which has been promised) to get past the encryption, which is required for Shockware.
But they have promised to release the springs and matching bump stops in the interim...eta was January 2014.
      01-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #75
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

honestly the drop on the MPS is so marginal in comparison with the stock sport that for the springs 300+install 300 + alignment 100, its really not worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #76
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Aren't guys doing the same with HR springs withy the DHP?

Quote:
Exactly, it should be even better since the M perf springs have nowhere near the drop of HR or Eibach. But I guess no one wants to be the first.

From what I've read, the H&R springs seem to be of a similar spring rate to stock, just lower (too much lower in my opinion). That being the case, they really won't do much of anything for handling, and they tend to cause bottoming out (most guys are just retaining the stock bump stops). I've also read somewhere on the forums recently that the Eibach springs wound up actually being a bit softer than the stock springs, and the ride was unacceptable.
The M Performance springs are firmer, and only about 10mm lower, so from the perspective of improving performance (not for those looking to get that 'slammed' look without regard to ride quality ) I think these would work better... although surprisingly I haven't heard of anyone trying these yet. But since the Dinan springs are around the corner, this is definitely the way to go.
      01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #77
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
From what I've read, the H&R springs seem to be of a similar spring rate to stock, just lower (too much lower in my opinion). That being the case, they really won't do much of anything for handling, and they tend to cause bottoming out (most guys are just retaining the stock bump stops). I've also read somewhere on the forums recently that the Eibach springs wound up actually being a bit softer than the stock springs, and the ride was unacceptable.
The M Performance springs are firmer, and only about 10mm lower, so from the perspective of improving performance (not for those looking to get that 'slammed' look without regard to ride quality ) I think these would work better... although surprisingly I haven't heard of anyone trying these yet. But since the Dinan springs are around the corner, this is definitely the way to go.
I didn't realize HR springs were similar to stock in rate.

Yes, the M Performance Springs would be an awesome addition then - mine were free when I purchased the M performance Struts, and the combination is killer on the track!

Around town it's firm, not too harsh, but I'm also on 18's...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #78
Jvee90
Private First Class
Rep

Yikes. Just got a quote for m springs-only install from an indie shop. Kinda reconsidering now as I'm looking at a total of $1200 for parts and install. Not cool.

Spring install = $551 + $95 to loosen all of the bushings and torque to the new lowered ride height afterwards, + $110 for alignment = ~$760.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #79
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yikes. Just got a quote for m springs-only install from an indie shop. Kinda reconsidering now as I'm looking at a total of $1200 for parts and install. Not cool.

Spring install = $551 + $95 to loosen all of the bushings and torque to the new lowered ride height afterwards, + $110 for alignment = ~$760.
$551 including springs? Not too bad actually for OEM BMW parts...
      01-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #80
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:

Spring installs are all over the place in terms of price. $650 is on the expensive side, but I've seen as low as $300 and as high as $1200 (Dinan...cough cough) Try another shop Jvee, you'll probably get a wildly different quote
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #81
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Around town it's firm, not too harsh, but I'm also on 18's...
I need to meet up with you sometime for a ride in your car with MPS... I'm anxious to feel how good it is.
      01-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #82
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

are you guys going to put Mperf Springs into Msport Suspension ?
      01-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #83
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
are you guys going to put Mperf Springs into Msport Suspension ?
The discussion is related to the Adaptive M Suspension... not the passive sport suspension
      01-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #84
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

ok sorry got lost >_<
      01-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #85
Jvee90
Private First Class
Rep

was emailing BMW USA about getting springs only on my m sport adaptive suspension and here's what one corporate rep says (all unofficially of course):

"Unfortunately the springs are out of the question. There are tons of different springs for the M Performance suspension, each pertaining to the different options equipped on the car. For instance, if you have a car with nav and a car without, the two vehicles may actually get different springs based on the change in weight. We finely calibrate our suspension kit so that handling is near perfect across our whole range of vehicles. When you throw in DHP to the mix, there are too many variables to account for to warrant creating a lowering spring(s) for these vehicles. Hence why we only offer M Perf suspension for static suspension systems."
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #86
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvee90
was emailing BMW USA about getting springs only on my m sport adaptive suspension and here's what one corporate rep says (all unofficially of course):

"Unfortunately the springs are out of the question. There are tons of different springs for the M Performance suspension, each pertaining to the different options equipped on the car. For instance, if you have a car with nav and a car without, the two vehicles may actually get different springs based on the change in weight. We finely calibrate our suspension kit so that handling is near perfect across our whole range of vehicles. When you throw in DHP to the mix, there are too many variables to account for to warrant creating a lowering spring(s) for these vehicles. Hence why we only offer M Perf suspension for static suspension systems."
So? That's a canned response.

People put the HR springs with the DHP all the time...

Maybe the dealer won't install it?

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #87
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:

That rep is full of shit. All the springs are the same. I bet even the passive sport and dhp have the same springs too. They say that because they don't want to take responsibility for anything that may go wrong due to incorrect installation or whatnot. For example, some reps won't sell you the rear lip without the front splitter because of aerodynamics...that little lip spoiler doesn't do anything for aerodynamics! All lies.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #88
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

If you can wait buy the Dinan setup, it will be out in a few days.
Kits for both DHP and Non-DHP equipped cars, as well as separate kits for 3/428 & 3/435.