F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New car - help required
Extreme Powerhouse

11-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Xdrive

New car - help required

Just got my new new 335d which im loving but have a few things I'm struggling with and could do with some help.

I have read the manual but I'm not technically great so noddy help is good

1) I've registered for the connected drive - what can I actually do with it that is worthwhile? I added in my email details on the website but didn't opt for EBT so assume it won't do anything. I've also downloaded the app to my phone so hopefully can remote lock/unlock etc

2) I sent an route to the car from my PC - where does it show it up in the nav?

3) how are people entering addresses on the Nav. I can do it but seems slow compared to other systems I've used

4) there's a 'button' on the lower left side of the instrument display. What's this for?

5) how do you allocate the quick select buttons to put nav onto home/ telephone home etc

6) how do you get the real time traffic data and rounding

7) does the connected drive or traffic stuff use the phone data?

Any other hints tips?

Thanks in advance and apologise for the basic questions....technology has passed me by!

Last edited by Cuprat; 11-08-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Here's some quick answers:

1) I've registered for the connected drive - what can I actually do with it that is worthwhile? I added in my email details on the website but didn't opt for EBT so assume it won't do anything. I've also downloaded the app to my phone so hopefully can remote lock/unlock etc

It basically provides a load of information via online services, depending on the options you order with the car and how you configure your ConnectedDrive account, it provides Navigation, News, Entertainment, Office, Smartphone Apps activation, Share Prices and so on. I use News and Apps mostly. The email function you found allows you to read email without using your smartphone, when you open up BMW Online from iDrive you can find your email under the Office link (not to be confused with Office directly within iDrive, this is what you would use the EBT for)

Not tried this, but I think it shows up under Navigation > Saved Trips > Import Trips > BMW Online (you should also see an option to import via USB).

3) how are people entering addresses on the Nav. I can do it but seems slow compared to other systems I've used

I've mostly used the controller to find addresses (start entering the town/city, shows up in the right hand side of the screen, then street name etc..) I've also connected up the iPhone and contacts in my address book are displayed (so entering the address on the PC first using Outlook). You can also upload your Outlook address book to ConnectedDrive and then download again into iDrive. Also you can go to a specific location physically and add that place as a contact ready for future trips. One other method, you can use Google, find the address in Google Maps, then send it to your car, will appear under Messages in iDrive (you need your ConnectedDrive activated first), you can then add to your contacts etc..

4) there's a 'button' on the lower left side of the instrument display. What's this for?

Don't know, maybe ejector seat?

5) how do you allocate the quick select buttons to put nav onto home/ telephone home etc

Go to the option in iDrive you want as a shortcut, highlight it but do not select it (ie hover the orange bar over the link), then simply hold down the quick select button for a couple of seconds, you will hear an audible ping and it should say "Saved" or something in the iDrive screen. Also once this is done, if you forget which buttons you have saved, just touch a button, do not depress, simply touch it with your finger and you will see the shortcut details appear along the top of the iDrive display.

Hope that's helpful (apart from number 4, someone else may chip in there!)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

It resets the trip distance in the instrument display.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.....will take the ipad out to the car and have a play but looks straightforward.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprat View Post
Just got my new new 335d which im loving but have a few things I'm struggling with and could do with some help.

I have read the manual but I'm not technically great so noddy help is good

6) how do you get the real time traffic data and rounding

7) does the connected drive or traffic stuff use the phone data?

Any other hints tips?

Thanks in advance and apologise for the basic questions....technology has passed me by!
Congratulations on an excellent choice of vehicle! To answer your questions:-

1) You can use Google send-to-car. That's about it but it makes ConnectedDrive worthwhile IMO.

2) Menu > ConnectedDrive > Messages

3) Use Google maps, right-click to add destination exactly where you want it. Click marker, click more, send, car etc...

4) !?!

5) Press and hold the appropriate shortcut button.

6) !?!

7) No, it uses the vehicle's internal sim.

Take a look at profiles if you have leccy seats and more than one driver. Profiles are cool.

If you have folding mirrors press and hold lock button to fold. When you unlock the car they will fold out automagically.

Hope this helps!
      11-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defero View Post

It resets the trip distance in the instrument display.
Are you sure it's not ejector seat, or switches on the flux capacitor? Can't believe I answered those other questions but didn't get that one!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
languidmandala
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xdrive Sport MT

I find using voice control to enter destinations is much quicker than faffing about with the controller
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all for help.

All working now except the adding shortcut keys to destinations ( home and work). How does this work .... Holding the button so far has done nothing but save the map scale!

I like the nav system but do find it very difficult compared to other cars if I'm honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprat View Post
Thanks all for help.

All working now except the adding shortcut keys to destinations ( home and work). How does this work .... Holding the button so far has done nothing but save the map scale!

I like the nav system but do find it very difficult compared to other cars if I'm honest.
Have you tried this from your address book? or recent destinations? ie save the address in your cars address book, then using the idrive controller highlight the address and press/hold the required shortcut button. Should also work if you find your address in your recent destinations (if you havn't saved the address in idrive for example, but just entered it manually and started to navigate there), same thing, just highlight the address and add to the shortcut button.

Basically the shortcut buttons act as the selector for that menu item, (so instead of having to depress the idrive controller, the shortcut button is doing this).

One other thing, you can add a contact specifically as a Home Address, should be under the address book somewhere, if you do this you can then use voice control and just say "Navigate Home"
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep

That's really helpful and I'm 99% sure it's working now

Thanks again for the help
Appreciate 0