F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Best dining / beaches in Florida? Help requested! :D
ARMA SPEED

05-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Best dining / beaches in Florida? Help requested! :D

My wife and I are looking to get away to Florida for a little while in June. Haven't been to Florida in a long time; last time was Naples and that was probably 5 years ago, and prior to that, probably like 20 years ago.

So...what areas in Florida would you recommend?

We are looking for nice beaches (good sandy beaches, preferably crystal clear waters if they are in Florida? like the Caribbean?). Nothing crazy in terms of party beaches, we are looking for relaxation.

We also love to eat good food, so what areas are our best bet for dining? I like most types of seafood as does she almost, though neither of us likes cooked fish (so crab, lobster, shrimp, scallops, etc are what we like), as well as steak, Mexican, anything interesting and good really.

I'm really hoping that we can locate an area that has a lot of good restaurants, but at the same time has good beaches - looking for your help as I have no idea where to start looking!

I think dining is probably first priority, beaches second, as we'd probably only spend two days at the beach or something; rest of the time we'd probably go shopping, I might try to locate a shooting range; preferably somewhere where there might be long distance shooting, just for fun.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Siesta Key is a good choice for beach. Lido Key beach is just as nice and much quieter, plus and St Armands Circle has great food choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
z4drvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4

Naples/Marco Island
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Naples - though Siesta is a nnnnniiiiiccceeee Beach.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Thanks - we settled on Long Boat Key which is close to Siesta and close to St. Armands circle.

Looking forward to it - got a beachside suite booked up with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Figure I can light up a cigar and enjoy several scotches on the balcony in the evenings.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Best beaches and dining is clearly in Miami but the quiet relaxation factor goes out the window. Key biscayne is quiet and relaxing and just a shirt drive from south beach.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Thanks - we settled on Long Boat Key which is close to Siesta and close to St. Armands circle.

Looking forward to it - got a beachside suite booked up with a balcony overlooking the ocean. Figure I can light up a cigar and enjoy several scotches on the balcony in the evenings.
Longboat is nice and that whole area is relaxing. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Check out this place for dinner and desert - prob just a few miles north of where you are staying.

Euphemia Haye

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Best beaches and dining is clearly in Miami but the quiet relaxation factor goes out the window. Key biscayne is quiet and relaxing and just a shirt drive from south beach.
Dunno I find the beach in Miami to be crap. I lived on South Beach for a few years right on the beach. I can count on one hand the number of times I actually went to the beach (like in the water). Not to mention it's usually packed to hell. But then I guess different people have different views on what makes a "good" beach. Personally a good beach to me is the type of beaches you find in places like St John, St Thomas etc. I like more isolated beach where you can snorkel etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

^
I'm with you on that one - something more quiet, not packed, where the waters are clear is what I'm looking for.

I will check out that restaurant above, I heard it mentioned on Frommers, so now that's twice, will definitely have to eat there!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #10
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Dunno I find the beach in Miami to be crap. I lived on South Beach for a few years right on the beach. I can count on one hand the number of times I actually went to the beach (like in the water). Not to mention it's usually packed to hell. But then I guess different people have different views on what makes a "good" beach. Personally a good beach to me is the type of beaches you find in places like St John, St Thomas etc. I like more isolated beach where you can snorkel etc.
Depends on what you are looking for and where you are in life I guess. We have fantastic beaches here in Naples if you like a quieter, rustic setting. There's almost nothing commercial on the water except for a couple nice hotels (Ritz level). No t-shirt shops, no souvenirs shops, no gas stations, nothing near the water - and public access is everywhere and unencumbered. I must be getting old because I'm just too tired for that whole South Beach lifestyle anymore.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

There isn't much for good food in that area. Of course sea food will be decent just about anywhere. But the next time go for a combo and stay in S. Tampa. Short drive from several nice beaches and a far better dinning experience. We're always disappointed with the food options in the Sarasota area. We actually stopped doing long weekends there because of the lack of good food. But hopefully for you, things have changed in the last 5 years or so.
      05-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I agree on the dining, but highly disagree on the beaches. The keys have better beaches than Miami, and the west coast (Naples, Marco Island, Clearwater) is better still. Dining though, SoFla all the way (although Naples and Tampa have some good options as well). Of course, that's just my opinion. :cheers:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Rats - well hopefully dining is better than expected. Frommers seemed to indicate there were some decent restaurants in the area (ok, they weren't abundant, but enough).

I'm looking forward to it though - we have a junior suite with a balcony overlooking the ocean (should be beachfront - that's what was said) in Longboat Key.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rats - well hopefully dining is better than expected. Frommers seemed to indicate there were some decent restaurants in the area (ok, they weren't abundant, but enough).

I'm looking forward to it though - we have a junior suite with a balcony overlooking the ocean (should be beachfront - that's what was said) in Longboat Key.
You're set for the pretty stuff. Longboat Key is (last time i was there) very nice and quite picturesque.

If you're looking for seafood, you'll be set. There are plenty of hole in the wall places that will offer up good seafood. If you want something else, steak, sushi, etc.. you may be out of luck. I'm thinking you're looking for some fresh seafood, no?

Also, there is a 1000yd range in Manatee county. I've never been there but a pal of mine is a member. http://www.manateegunclub.com (70 min drive from longboat) My local range has 25yd pistol (27 lanes) sometimes they have steel targets set up in one bay. Only 100yd rifle (8 lanes), but it's all indoors, air conditioned and very well lighted and ventilated.

If you're renting a car, plan a day of shopping and eating in Hydepark or international plaza. There are lots of good eats in the area as well. Ocean Prime, Grille 116, The Palm, Boca, 717 South, Daily Eats, Timpanos, Side Burns, etc... Lots of good places. It's only a 75 min drive from Longboat.

We don't drink or party, so most of our entertainment money is spent on good food. We're prefer locally owned restaurants too. My wife will tell you that she doesn't work out to stay skinny, she works out so she can eat! I just eat, without the working out part.

I you end up planning a day in S. Tampa, let me know and i'll give you the low down on all those places and more if you like. Lost of good lunch places too. If you think you might combine shooting and shopping in TPA, let me know and maybe i can meet you there.

My wife has a client in Sarasota, (5 miles from longboat) so i'll ask where the good stuff is down there. Although she'll have only had lunch at these places.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 05-26-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

ft. lauderdale. stay at the W
      05-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Longboat Key is hands down my favorite beach in Florida. I live about 90 minutes from it, and it is worth the drive for us. We take day trips during the summer months. I haven't stayed overnight there, but it's an awesome little area.

It's hard to beat Marathon Key too. We've been staying at a place called "Tranquility Bay", every once in a while you can catch a special on the rates.

South beach is decent, but super pricey and I'm not sure that the prices are inline with the quality of the area.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys, and I'll definitely check out this Manatee gun club Joe, thanks for the tip...might be able to swing that for a day.

Basically, we're going to chill for a bit as life has been very busy the past year, so not sure how much driving we'll do, but definitely let you know if we make our way to Tampa.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Be sure to check the days they are open. I think it's something like 4 days a week.

Enjoy!
      05-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
z4drvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
ft. lauderdale. stay at the W

this is a great hotel....may be a little too trendy/busy for the OP's request. Great Steakhouse though and the pool is alot of fun on the weekends! DJ etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

I spend a lot of time at JB's on the beach in Deerfield. Then we walk over to Oceans 234 next door.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #21
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

You are looking for Destin, FL my friend.

Whitest sands and cleanest beaches, not too loud, quite a few restuarants and very relaxed lifestyle.

Google destin / sandestin.
      05-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:

A Sarasota local seafood place is Walt's on Tamiami Trl, and SKOB (Siesta Key Oyster Bar) is cool too. The Broken Egg (a Dick Vitale favorite) and Millie's have awesome breakfast...

I have a Villa at 1900 Ben Franklin...LOVE the Sarasota area. On July 4th, the Daytona 500 of boat races are just off Lido Key...if your still in town. Suncoast Grand Prix if your interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0