F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > what different suspensions are available from the dealer?
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

what different suspensions are available from the dealer?

i have the most basic suspension on the car and tbh, it is rubbish. I would like to know which options i missed out on. ie, msport has a lower ride? adaptive m? standard height?

Also, if anyone knows the difference in the compression in these would be great
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
i have the most basic suspension on the car and tbh, it is rubbish. I would like to know which options i missed out on. ie, msport has a lower ride? adaptive m? standard height?

Also, if anyone knows the difference in the compression in these would be great
Some basic info lifted directly off BMW sales pitch brochure:

Dynamic options: M Sport package, Adaptive M Sport suspension, sports automatic transmission and BMW 3 Series xDrive.
Enthusiasts will welcome the further features that are available to enhance the dynamic driving qualities of the new BMW 3 Series and give them a distinctive visual dimension as well. The M Sport package is designed for this very purpose and has been developed specifically for this model series. It includes the
lowered M Sport suspension, featuring a 10 millimetre (0.4 in.) drop in ride height, which works with firmer suspension and damping as well as harder anti- roll bars. Also featured are 18 or 19-inch M alloy wheels. The luxurious package is completed by an M aerodynamics package featuring special body parts, and by chrome tailpipes, exclusive exterior paintwork and interior trim to match. The M aerodynamics package and M Sport suspension can also be specified separately. Also optionally available for the new BMW 3 Series is an
Adaptive M Sport suspension with electronically controlled damping. Based on incoming information about body and wheel acceleration, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, vehicle speed and steering wheel position, an electronic control unit adapts the damper mapping to the road surface and driving situation. At the same time the driver can use the Driving Experience Control switch to vary the basic suspension characteristics between more comfortable or sportier settings.

Although the above does not mention it, the Adaptive is also lowered by 10mm to the standard suspension height.

In addition, there is the M-Performance Chassis and of course, 3rd party suspension upgrade.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Well said David .. Sephanite check out the m performance suspensions too. I'd be interested to see how much switching them will cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

ive been to the dealer to ask about the m performance suspension. The right height will be under the legal height so they are still revising it. I am just astonished at how bad the stock suspension is for what the 3 series does best. Spirited driving around twisty roads
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Adaptive - absolutely awesome - the brochure does not do it justice, the difference in the way the car handles on the road compared to any of the non adaptive is substantial.
When you go from comfort to sport while you are doing 80km/h makes the car come "alive" you actually feel the whole car stiffen and level up while steering goes to firm and your engine has more power (kinda like a transformer) - very impressed with it and goes well with VSS also.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
M-Performance gear would be the way to go while still keeping it "factory", so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
ive been to the dealer to ask about the m performance suspension. The right height will be under the legal height so they are still revising it. I am just astonished at how bad the stock suspension is for what the 3 series does best. Spirited driving around twisty roads
Yes, the M- Performance suspension lowers the ride height another 10mm compared to the M-Sport/Adaptive. That's 20mm lower than standard.

However, I'm rather surprised even lowering the suspension 20mm, makes it illegal here, as the standard ride height is very high to begin with.

Sorry to read that the standard suspension is not terribly good. Probably went too far to make the RFTs feel more comfortable than in the E90. Me, I LOVED the hard ride of the E90 with 15mm lowered sports suspension & RFTs. Kept the car upright in the fastest, tightest hairpin corners.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
When you go from comfort to sport while you are doing 80km/h makes the car come "alive" you actually feel the whole car stiffen and level up while steering goes to firm and your engine has more power
Same dynamic changes happens with M-Sport suspension. However, just to clarify, it isn't more power from the engine, the gear changes up a ratio or 2 and throttle response is sharpened somewhat, making the entire package seem like it has more power, unlike, say an M5, which does actually boost engine power when the 'M' button is pressed.

Still, it is a fun & exhilarating experience going to sport and letting loose, just for a short time (we don't want to get fined or cause a collision etc). Sad thing is that the car starts to open up from 120km/h and feels safer than at 100km/h.

We need BMW to organise a track day for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Same dynamic changes happens with M-Sport suspension. However, just to clarify, it isn't more power from the engine, the gear changes up a ratio or 2 and throttle response is sharpened somewhat, making the entire package seem like it has more power, unlike, say an M5, which does actually boost engine power when the 'M' button is pressed.

Still, it is a fun & exhilarating experience going to sport and letting loose, just for a short time (we don't want to get fined or cause a collision etc). Sad thing is that the car starts to open up from 120km/h and feels safer than at 100km/h.

We need BMW to organise a track day for our cars.
The m-sport suspension isn't dynamic or adaptive AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
The m-sport suspension isn't dynamic or adaptive AFAIK.
Correct, but the steering still tightens, the throttle response increases and the 8 Speed auto's shift points change. In other words, the car's dynamics change when sport is activated, no matter which suspension is installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct, but the steering still tightens, the throttle response increases and the 8 Speed auto's shift points change. In other words, the car's dynamics change when sport is activated, no matter which suspension is installed.
+1... I couldnt imagine having another 10 mm lower.

I have been driving out of basement carparks onto main roads and it seems to scrape the underside of the front the car. I actually have to be quite careful when i'm coming out from a 10% elevated slope onto the main road. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I have been driving out of basement carparks onto main roads and it seems to scrape the underside of the front the car. I actually have to be quite careful when i'm coming out from a 10% elevated slope onto the main road. Has anyone else experienced this?
Can you drive the car on an angle to avoid the scraping?
Or, much harder, reverse out? (Although may still scrape the front)

Thankfully, no basements or steep driveways for me generally day to day.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's what I'm doing at the moment , feels kinda weird having to do it tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk280 View Post
Adaptive - absolutely awesome - the brochure does not do it justice, the difference in the way the car handles on the road compared to any of the non adaptive is substantial.
When you go from comfort to sport while you are doing 80km/h makes the car come "alive" you actually feel the whole car stiffen and level up while steering goes to firm and your engine has more power (kinda like a transformer) - very impressed with it and goes well with VSS also.
Quote:
Yeah I get this part. Drk's post was referring more to the benefits of adaptive m gear and how it affects the handling, not what you're writing about in regard to the steering input, shift behaviour or throttle map all of our cars have.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

i have to confirm if exiting a steep carpark is beneficial. I got a feeling the corners of the car are further away from the wheels from the flat front. My car is so high now that any driveway, speed hump, railway is not a problem for me. Even my 1999 land cruiser has stiffer suspension
Appreciate 0