F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > '12 335i suspension and powertrain noises
Extreme Powerhouse

09-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
tmehanna
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i f10

'12 335i suspension and powertrain noises

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Had my car a little over 2 months and 1500 miles. With 1000 miles on the clock, the car developed a strange sound similar to a cowbell coming from underneath the car, turned out a black plastic cap was loose inside the front half of the driveshaft. The cap is not illustrated on the driveshaft part diagram and hence has no part number (as well as no apparent function). Cap was removed and the entire drive shaft was ordered for replacement under warranty.

With the cowbell gone, I started hearing a very faint mechanical noise similar to an electric buzz just before the automatic shifts gears, only audible driving slow with the windows down on a quiet and narrow road.

I also noticed there is a momentary loud mechanical rattle/buzz coming from underneath the car the car when engine is cold started, and I have the suspension/steering clunk discussed extensively in another forum thread.

I'm very disappointed with the car. Is anyone else experiencing similar noise(s)?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Do you have active dampeners?
      09-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Do you have active dampeners?
No, standard suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

I have this buzz sound. It's not as pronounced or as frequent anymore. But I got it on video. If thats the sound you get, it's the exhaust flap actuator.

I also have this whistling sound like the turbo is spooling up in Gear 2, 3 and a tiny bit on 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BLZ35rC2dDE
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
I also noticed there is a momentary loud mechanical rattle/buzz coming from underneath the car the car when engine is cold started, and I have the suspension/steering clunk discussed extensively in another forum thread.
wastegates opening, nothing to be alarmed of.

Quote:
I'm very disappointed with the car. Is anyone else experiencing similar noise(s)?
While it is easy to be upset since you're having a couple issues, you need to remember: you purchased a first year production model. There are always growing pains with new models. Hang in there; take it to the dealer, give your service writer good&accurate information, and let them get the issues resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I have this buzz sound. It's not as pronounced or as frequent anymore. But I got it on video. If thats the sound you get, it's the exhaust flap actuator.

I also have this whistling sound like the turbo is spooling up in Gear 2, 3 and a tiny bit on 4.

Yes, first buzz sounds the same so I guess it is the wastegate or exhaust flap actuator but actuator sounds more like it as it's clearly coming from underneath the car and not the hood. You have a second buzz 12 seconds into the video while the car is moving, does yours buzz on the move as well?

Turbo whine is normal, this is my third forced induction car and they all have it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
While it is easy to be upset since you're having a couple issues, you need to remember: you purchased a first year production model. There are always growing pains with new models. Hang in there; take it to the dealer, give your service writer good&accurate information, and let them get the issues resolved.
I don't recall having as many issues (or any at all for that matter bar some interior rattles or squeaks) with any of my previous german cars, including a MINI, all bought on the first production year. This 335 makes all my previous cars look like swiss watches in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Yes, first buzz sounds the same so I guess it is the wastegate or exhaust flap actuator but actuator sounds more like it as it's clearly coming from underneath the car and not the hood. You have a second buzz 12 seconds into the video while the car is moving, does yours buzz on the move as well?

Turbo whine is normal, this is my third forced induction car and they all have it.
The exhaust flap actuator is not located under the hood. It's located right in front of the exhaust tip. It actually serves no purpose but reduce noise/droning by opening and closing at certain RPMs.

It's really easy for BMW to replace or lubricate the actuator. But whenever I take it into the dealer, they look at me like I'm crazy because it never buzzes when they look at it. I might just remove the actuator altogether and leave the exhaust flap open. See pic below for the mod.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
I don't recall having as many issues (or any at all for that matter bar some interior rattles or squeaks) with any of my previous german cars, including a MINI, all bought on the first production year. This 335 makes all my previous cars look like swiss watches in comparison.
I suppose the 'stay away from first year production models' is a misnomer then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Had my car a little over 2 months and 1500 miles. With 1000 miles on the clock, the car developed a strange sound similar to a cowbell coming from underneath the car, turned out a black plastic cap was loose inside the front half of the driveshaft. The cap is not illustrated on the driveshaft part diagram and hence has no part number (as well as no apparent function). Cap was removed and the entire drive shaft was ordered for replacement under warranty.

With the cowbell gone, I started hearing a very faint mechanical noise similar to an electric buzz just before the automatic shifts gears, only audible driving slow with the windows down on a quiet and narrow road.

Yes, it sucks to have issues with a new car.
Sounds like the major problem with the "cap" and drive shaft is being fixed, so that's good.

As for the buzz noise, it could be normal. These cars do make lots of whirring and whizzing sounds at times at start up and shut down.
Maybe you're just becoming to sensitized and you're listening too closely to sounds that may be normal?
It happens.

As for the clunking sound, I started a thread on that issue, but in my 335i the clunking is not heard when the engine is running nor when driving.
My steering wheel makes a clunking sound only when the engine is shut off.
So far there isn't anything to report. The BMW tech says "it's normal".
Of course he would, because this car is new to him as well and I think he's just guessing at this point.
To be "normal" ALL F30's would do this, and that is simply not the case.
Some F30's have this clunk sound and some don't, so the jury is still out on what is causing this clunk.

Does you car have a clunk sound in the steering when you're driving it?
Over bumps?
That could be a different issue to mine, but then, my car is also new just 900 miles. Maybe this clunk will get worse and will present itself even when the engine is running, don't know yet.

Meanwhile, enjoy your car. The things you've mentioned can be annoying, but if there is real problem it'll get sorted in time.
Don't make yourself not like you car over a couple of issues, it happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
tonyzale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016' M3, S1000R, R nineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post

That is not normal. I see new F30 335i every day and I have never heard a sound like that (and I own a 2012). I kind of sounds like a starter over cranking, but I think that is just because you are not hearing it live. Did you ever get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
ƒ°
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzale View Post
That is not normal. I see new F30 335i every day and I have never heard a sound like that (and I own a 2012). I kind of sounds like a starter over cranking, but I think that is just because you are not hearing it live. Did you ever get it fixed?
It fixed itself over time. It was the exhaust flap actuator. 100% sure.
Appreciate 0