F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Standard iDrive - Hard Drive and other questions
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
glitched79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Standard iDrive - Hard Drive and other questions

I've been browsing through the forums for some time now and I've seen a lot of discussion regarding the navigation iDrive system, but very little regarding the specifics of the standard system.

I have the standard in my base 328i.

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to provide some insight into the following:

1. Does the standard still have a hard drive? If so, where is it located? If not, is it just flash-memory based?

2. Even though I have the standard system, and even though I don't have BMW Assist, I still have an option for it on my screen, which leads me to believe that it's something the standard system is able to support with some additional module. I'm not really interested in BMW Assist, but I'd love some of the functionality of the BMW Enhanced Bluetooth features that seem to come bundled with it. Is there a module I'm missing or that I could replace that would give me some of that functionality?

3. I've tried to play a DVD, and it does not work. I didn't think that it would. It seems as though the in-dash drive is not a DVD drive, because a DVD inserted into that drive shows up as unrecognized on the screen. So I'm wondering if my iDrive system actually IS capable of playing DVDs, but the drive simply can't read them. If I installed the CD/DVD changer in the boot/trunk, perhaps then I'd have DVD playback?

4. I'm disappointed by only one thing - I have the Voice Activation button on my steering wheel, however pressing it does absolutely nothing. I was sure I would at least be able to make calls without having to access my contacts via the iDrive screen, but it seems as though that isn't the case. It's disappointing because even my 2008 MINI Cooper could do that!
Appreciate 0