F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > ASIA > DO NOT GO TO TAT ON TYRES Shop TO GET OR FIX WHEELS
Studio RSR

05-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White

i was looking at the figures from the 2013 5 and 3er brochures ex BMW HK
and the final drive ratios are the same,
not sure where u got your figures
      05-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
i was looking at the figures from the 2013 5 and 3er brochures ex BMW HK
and the final drive ratios are the same,
not sure where u got your figures
Figures from BMW press releases. They are the same if manual gearbox equipped. For automatic the final drive is different. The brochures only give manual gearbox ratios (if auto is optional), notice no ratios are given for 7th & 8th gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #25
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
if it doesn't feel faster than its slower, and slower is as I said underpowered,
the F10 is the perfect sports saloon as a 535i and up.
The E60 was out nearly 10 years ago, things moved up two clicks thanks to Audi giving strong competition.
Slower is not underpowered, it is just slower. The difference is not big enough for it to be ranked as underpowered. A car that's underpowered cannot do 0-100 in 6-6.5s.
To be the perfect sports saloon the F10 needs to lose weight. BMW cut cost on the F10 by using steel structure at the front - the E6x had aluminium structure from front bulkhead forwards. This means like for like the F10 weights 100kgs more than the E60. The 528i/520i N20 handles better than any of the non-M F10 as it has by far the best weight distribution.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #26
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

man you used words like "underwhelming" for the 528i in previous posts, any reason why its suddenly a different car, even after 4 test drives?

being on the forum and trying hard to be a guru is hard to keep up
i'd say its fast V Audi A6 2.0t, but against a 328i which was the crux of this chat.
enjoy the car instead.
      06-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
man you used words like "underwhelming" for the 528i in previous posts, any reason why its suddenly a different car, even after 4 test drives?

being on the forum and trying hard to be a guru is hard to keep up
i'd say its fast V Audi A6 2.0t, but against a 328i which was the crux of this chat.
enjoy the car instead.
As I said, it's due entirely to the gearbox. The response is very slow & that's nothing to do with the engine. The engine isn't underpowered, it's just the gearbox that's masking it's true performance. Need to test drive more & longer to make sure it's not the gearbox's learning function (or if it is, then a longer drive will make it learn more of my habits) that's making it slow.
The 528i is faster than all the cars in it's class (A6 2.8FSI, E250 & E300), not only the A6 2.0t (dealt with easily by the 520i).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

dude, the sum of all is what matters, strong engine+"slow" gearbox+heavy car=? underpowered? its a big ol car, a good car, no mistake about that but again, its getting boring now, its underpowered compared to the 328i,
which is much lighter+same gearbox+strong engine.
The whole argument is that the 528i is too big and heavy for the engine, but you continue going on about open opinions- road tests, gearbox learning, comparing to other cars etc,. all pretty boring, you already said it was "underwhelming" which in the end was probably what you thought in the first place and that does it for me.

all it needs is a shot of 500cc more and it will be perfect
      06-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Msport

Quote:
all it needs is a shot of 500cc more and it will be perfect
no la what it need is a ECU mod to top it up to 295hp
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

thats a good choice if you dont have an accident and the car towed away for inspection.............

BMW offer the ACS power kit 295bhp and can take it to the TD for approval, but think that they (AC) messed up the type approval docs in Brussels and its not in English, so cant do it, damn!
      06-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thats a good choice if you dont have an accident and the car towed away for inspection.............

BMW offer the ACS power kit 295bhp and can take it to the TD for approval, but think that they (AC) messed up the type approval docs in Brussels and its not in English, so cant do it, damn!
this sounds good.
Dose ACS tune petrol car now?
It has always been Diesel cars before with ACS.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
dude, the sum of all is what matters, strong engine+"slow" gearbox+heavy car=? underpowered? its a big ol car, a good car, no mistake about that but again, its getting boring now, its underpowered compared to the 328i,
which is much lighter+same gearbox+strong engine.
The whole argument is that the 528i is too big and heavy for the engine, but you continue going on about open opinions- road tests, gearbox learning, comparing to other cars etc,. all pretty boring, you already said it was "underwhelming" which in the end was probably what you thought in the first place and that does it for me.
No, the 528i is not too big nor too heavy for the engine. That was my point thru & thru. It feels slow not because of it's engine but because of it's gearbox.
Yes, it's the sum that matters but it's not the engine that's causing the problem. Also, regarding geabox learning, it is not a fair assesment on the car if it underperforms due to sth which can be cured by simply driving it harder for 10-15mins.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #33
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
this sounds good.
Dose ACS tune petrol car now?
It has always been Diesel cars before with ACS.
ACS have always offered tunes for petrol engines. It had a supercharger kit yrs ago for the M54, producing 300ps. They focused on diesels for the past 10yrs cos it's easier to make big gains with a forced-induction engine.
They have a piggy back for the N20 28i which produces 295ps & 420Nm.

http://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/ac...360&ID_NR=9692
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #34
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
ACS have always offered tunes for petrol engines. It had a supercharger kit yrs ago for the M54, producing 300ps. They focused on diesels for the past 10yrs cos it's easier to make big gains with a forced-induction engine.
They have a piggy back for the N20 28i which produces 295ps & 420Nm.

http://preisliste.ac-schnitzer.de/ac...360&ID_NR=9692
But this is for a F30
They may not install it on my F10. I will ask BMWHK
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

i'm sure ALL the test cars' gearboxes at BMW have been seriously "taught"
i reckon most people will put it in the Sport and S+ and hammer it, so reckon your test cars were graduates so what you tested is what you will get, end of.
Here is the ACS TUV type approval cert, being German they can't use it here for the TD, with this the 528 will fly
they focused on diesels because the biggest market in the EU is for Diesels,
they will and can tune anything.
i had considered their new wheels but the cost was up to 50k+ for 20inch and they looked nearly the same as the MP 405.
its great that bmw are covering the aftermarket with perfectly designed products, my favourite are the wheels, the handling is really sublime,you would think u are riding on 18inch wheels and the run flat P Zeros are very silent and soft, i'm pretty amazed cos we have crap roads on HK island, no doubt they were tested for weeks on the nuburgring 100% designed for the F30.
i'm still waitin for my M P exhaust, its taken forever
have been tempted by the GT haus and Eisenmann, with the former having some real badass welding but not sure how the valveactuator plug will fit on and what will be done to make it defunct
Attached Images

06-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #36
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i'm sure ALL the test cars' gearboxes at BMW have been seriously "taught"
i reckon most people will put it in the Sport and S+ and hammer it, so reckon your test cars were graduates so what you tested is what you will get, end of.
Here is the ACS TUV type approval cert, being German they can't use it here for the TD, with this the 528 will fly
they focused on diesels because the biggest market in the EU is for Diesels,
they will and can tune anything.
i had considered their new wheels but the cost was up to 50k+ for 20inch and they looked nearly the same as the MP 405.
its great that bmw are covering the aftermarket with perfectly designed products, my favourite are the wheels, the handling is really sublime,you would think u are riding on 18inch wheels and the run flat P Zeros are very silent and soft, i'm pretty amazed cos we have crap roads on HK island, no doubt they were tested for weeks on the nuburgring 100% designed for the F30.
i'm still waitin for my M P exhaust, its taken forever
have been tempted by the GT haus and Eisenmann, with the former having some real badass welding but not sure how the valveactuator plug will fit on and what will be done to make it defunct
Don't get there wheels they weight a ton so heavy, I used to have the ACS tyre4 19", the weight is almost same as BMW wheels.
I have not tired the new 1s don't know what the weights are?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #37
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

20inch MP 405 monoblock forged weigh 23/24lbs each, Made in Germany.
not bad compared to the other 20inchers out there.

just be careful of the Made in Taiwan extremely good copies
      06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
20inch MP 405 monoblock forged weigh 23/24lbs each, Made in Germany.
not bad compared to the other 20inchers out there.

just be careful of the Made in Taiwan extremely good copies
thats very good same as my BC forge wheels
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #39
hkdude
Enlisted Member
Rep

BC have a very nice range of wheels with special colour finishes,
and the cnc tooling and detailing is top notch, similar to Forgiato and Modulaire etc

but i didnt see the 6000mt+ monoblock forging press in the process, is it part forged and put together?