F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Best pads for my car
ARMA SPEED

10-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #23
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
To be fair resistant is a strong word. For example, Rolex does not say on the Submariner that it?s water proffer to 300M they say water resistant to 300m.
The fact of the matter is, you'll be hard pressed to find aftermarket SS lines outlast OEM; even outperforming is questionable (from the sounds of your intentions).

You're trying to save money while sourcing out better-performing brakes -- SS lines are not the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #24
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest View Post
The fact of the matter is, you'll be hard pressed to find aftermarket SS lines outlast OEM; even outperforming is questionable (from the sounds of your intentions).

You're trying to save money while sourcing out better-performing brakes -- SS lines are not the way to go.
Depends what you are doing. My OEM lines were rusted and corroded, one of the front lines were actually about to break, I replaced all of them with Stoptech SS lines. Winter is harsh on the car, I probably drive a hell of a lot more than you do, and my winters are 2-3x worst. I am currently at 92k miles (148,000km)

Performance wise? Probably under hard and repetitive braking you'll need the lines, such as track days, or if you like to go to mexico or hit the backroads.
      10-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #25
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Depends what you are doing. My OEM lines were rusted and corroded, one of the front lines were actually about to break, I replaced all of them with Stoptech SS lines. Winter is harsh on the car, I probably drive a hell of a lot more than you do, and my winters are 2-3x worst. I am currently at 92k miles (148,000km)

Performance wise? Probably under hard and repetitive braking you'll need the lines, such as track days, or if you like to go to mexico or hit the backroads.
Let's stick to the facts; how much more or less you drive your car is irrelevant. Harsher winters doesn't mean your corrosion is more severe than mine. The GTA is one of the highest consumers of road salt every year.

The miltary has vehicles equipt with hydraulically-actuated brakes that are decades old, that are still in service. They're expected to endure the most severe service conditions. Very low mileage. When the lines rot out, we replace them with your average run-of-the-mill steel tubing.

Why? Because they get the job done. Rubber hoses connect hard points and calipers/wheel cylinders.

Those hard points that you're threading those new SS lines into are still prone to rot, which makes your arguement invalid. Want to save your car from rust? Stop driving it in the winter. SS lines won't save you.

He hasn't mentioned tracking; he doesn't need SS lines when he's on a budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #26
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Let's stick to the facts; how much more or less you drive your car is irrelevant. Harsher winters doesn't mean your corrosion is more severe than mine. The GTA is one of the highest consumers of road salt every year.

The miltary has vehicles equipt with hydraulically-actuated brakes that are decades old, that are still in service. They're expected to endure the most severe service conditions. Very low mileage. When the lines rot out, we replace them with your average run-of-the-mill steel tubing.

Why? Because they get the job done. Rubber hoses connect hard points and calipers/wheel cylinders.

Those hard points that you're threading those new SS lines into are still prone to rot, which makes your arguement invalid. Want to save your car from rust? Stop driving it in the winter. SS lines won't save you.

Lol, you don't even know how much maintenance is done on those military vehicles, I've seen them firsthand, and trust me, they don't endure more than a season before they break, which is why they're ALWAYS in the shop.

And spend a winter in quebec or in northern quebec. Quebec IS the highest salt consumers in Canada, the amount of salt and gravel (depends on area) thrown on the ground is absolutely ridiculous, will it stop me? no. But harsher winters does mean my corrosion is worst than yours. The harsher the winter, the more salt they throw to prevent ice, and when it gets to temperatures where salt is useless, they use gravel instead.

I highly doubt your winters are anywhere near severe, for a province that does not have mandatory winter tires, that tells me everything. I've lived in Ontario for a year and a half up north near barrie, and their worst winters there are nothing compared to up here in Northern Quebec.

Also, the more you drive the car, the more the parts get used. You said yourself brake fluid is the most neglected service, and then you proceeded to tell the other guy to continue neglecting it, not sure I would trust a mechanic like you.
      10-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #27
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Bruh you have 6 posts like tf you talking about. Son I have a Manual trans, rear wheel drive car that I ONLY run UHP summer tires in and drive the car year round. I nail my breaks from race track speeds. At this point I?m trying to get the best brakes I can without going BBk cause that?s just not in my budget.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:41 PM   #28
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why would I stop driving my car just because its winter? I guess I can quit my job because I?m from the south and live in the Midwest where it gets colder and I don?t like cold weather. Brb bouta sign out of life for 4 months until the cold weather blows over
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Lol, you don't even know how much maintenance is done on those military vehicles, I've seen them firsthand, and trust me, they don't endure more than a season before they break, which is why they're ALWAYS in the shop.

And spend a winter in quebec or in northern quebec. Quebec IS the highest salt consumers in Canada, the amount of salt and gravel (depends on area) thrown on the ground is absolutely ridiculous, will it stop me? no. But harsher winters does mean my corrosion is worst than yours. The harsher the winter, the more salt they throw to prevent ice, and when it gets to temperatures where salt is useless, they use gravel instead.

I highly doubt your winters are anywhere near severe, for a province that does not have mandatory winter tires, that tells me everything. I've lived in Ontario for a year and a half up north near barrie, and their worst winters there are nothing compared to up here in Northern Quebec.

Also, the more you drive the car, the more the parts get used. You said yourself brake fluid is the most neglected service, and then you proceeded to tell the other guy to continue neglecting it, not sure I would trust a mechanic like you.
You truely are Quebecois. Such wild insinuations. Do you know for a fact that I haven't worked on military vehicles?

Our roads are white with salt from Dec-Mar. You say your province uses more than ours? Okay... should i care? I still got my point across. Just because your Province is bent on introducing legislation doesn't mean your car is more prone to corrosion. I use winter tires every year, and I don't even need to. Enjoy your Police State.

Brake fluid intervals are neglected for a reason. BMW says engine oil changes every 15,000kms... so long as you change your engine oil that frequently, your engine should last forever, right? Talk to me when you start burning 1+ litre between every oil change.

BMW was even nice enough to provide you with a cute little tote for a spare bottle of oil
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #30
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Bruh you have 6 posts like tf you talking about. Son I have a Manual trans, rear wheel drive car that I ONLY run UHP summer tires in and drive the car year round. I nail my breaks from race track speeds. At this point I?m trying to get the best brakes I can without going BBk cause that?s just not in my budget.
You're right; i have significantly less posts than you

Manual AND rwd? I must be pathetic driving around in my auto awd V10 R8...

Oh, so you do race on a track? Thank you for providing that info.

I recommend you get SS brake lines. Assuming it falls within your budget and you don't need to spend too much time thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #31
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Why would I stop driving my car just because its winter? I guess I can quit my job because I?m from the south and live in the Midwest where it gets colder and I don?t like cold weather. Brb bouta sign out of life for 4 months until the cold weather blows over
Was I incorrect in stating that not driving in winter would spare your vehicle corrosion? Because your friend just finished arguing that winters + salt are bad for cars. Which one of us is mixed up?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #32
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You truely are Quebecois. Such wild insinuations. Do you know for a fact that I haven't worked on military vehicles?

Our roads are white with salt from Dec-Mar. You say your province uses more than ours? Okay... should i care? I still got my point across. Just because your Province is bent on introducing legislation doesn't mean your car is more prone to corrosion. I use winter tires every year, and I don't even need to. Enjoy your Police State.

Brake fluid intervals are neglected for a reason. BMW says engine oil changes every 15,000kms... so long as you change your engine oil that frequently, your engine should last forever, right? Talk to me when you start burning 1+ litre between every oil change.

BMW was even nice enough to provide you with a cute little tote for a spare bottle of oil

Dude, our roads are salted right NOW.

It snows mid October to may here.

All turbo cars burn oil. Depends on how hard you drive it as well.

Man, ex-Honda drivers are hard to talk to. You should go back to your boosted Hondas and rev bang it down the street.
      10-17-2017, 08:17 PM   #33
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dude, our roads are salted right NOW.

It snows mid October to may here.

All turbo cars burn oil. Depends on how hard you drive it as well.

Man, ex-Honda drivers are hard to talk to. You should go back to your boosted Hondas and rev bang it down the street.
All turbo cars do not burn oil...

...Didn't take too well to the Quebecois crack, eh? Maybe next time argue from a position of factual information.

Don't be upset that you were proven wrong on the internet; there's always a bigger fish. Just stay in your lane next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #34
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All turbo cars do not burn oil...

...Didn't take too well to the Quebecois crack, eh? Maybe next time argue from a position of factual information.

Don't be upset that you were proven wrong on the internet; there's always a bigger fish. Just stay in your lane next time.
Uh, yes they do. It's factual and any mechanic will confirm what
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #35
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Uh, yes they do. It's factual and any mechanic will confirm what
I'm not confirming it. As a matter of fact, I'm denouncing it.

To imply that an engine burns oil solely due to the fact that its turbocharged is asinine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:29 AM   #36
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Can you canucks go make your own thread to bitch at eachother? This thread was heading somewhere interesting before you two started in. I don't even care who's right at this point, I stopped reading some time ago. Just shut up already. Nobody care's who's more technically correct in their grammar and word usage.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #37
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
Can you canucks go make your own thread to bitch at eachother? This thread was heading somewhere interesting before you two started in. I don't even care who's right at this point, I stopped reading some time ago. Just shut up already. Nobody care's who's more technically correct in their grammar and word usage.
Thank you.
Appreciate 1
afranke207.00
      10-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #38
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
how about ebc green stuff brakes and ecu ss brake lines???? I watched video on youtube by engineering explained. he states no improvement with s.s. lines, or not enough to justify changing over from rubber, but as with anything, its the point of diminishing returns... so we go from oem mags to aftermarket, which saves some weight, then better ceramic pads, adds a bit better bite, then vent the brakes, keeps them a wee bit cooler, and add ss.lines.. stops any expansion of the hose upon hard excessive braking, Now just doing one thing might not be noticeable, but doing all of these things, just might make enough of a difference to make you more confident while you drive....
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #39
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Holy cow

OK back on topic...i as well will be in the market for pads and am curious what other people are running. 80%street/20% track.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #40
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Holy cow

OK back on topic...i as well will be in the market for pads and am curious what other people are running. 80%street/20% track.
Right lol so bad smh
Appreciate 0