F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you compare 2 dealerships?
proTUNING Freaks

04-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

Do you compare 2 dealerships?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Do you guys usually visit at least 2 dealerships and compare what they can offer you guys in terms of incentives, free items/service, pricing etc.?

If yes, do you guys just go with the dealership with the better deal or do you present the better deal to your preferred dealer (in case preferred dealership did not offer the better one)?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Autumn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Yes, always do this. Ask all dealers within your metro area for quotes. Choose a few (three?) of the best contenders. If you want you can ask the dealers who quoted high for a requote or you will take your business somewhere else.

Always bring any offers from other dealers back to another contending dealer. Get the quotes via email, so you don't spend any effort and you can have email documentation. Dealers know this tactic, so they will try to contact you directly. Do not visit dealers for quotes or allow them to contact you by phone. This creates effort on your part and then they "got you".

Do this for about 2-3 rounds of negotiations and take a look at your pricing. It should be around what you are looking for.

Number 1 rule for getting the lowest prices:
1. The less effort the dealer has to spend on you to finalize a deal, the better the final price. If you make a salesperson spend hours and days answering your questions and test driving, you will not get a good offer. Know all of your information beforehand (options, invoice prices, etc.)

Do this via email and keep it quick. Come into the dealership, read the contract and sign. They won't have to spend much time and cost to service your needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

nope, i have a great relationship with my dealer(have bought 10+ cars from them)

I tell them what i want, they order it, then i beat the crap out of them on the price
      04-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yes, always do this. Ask all dealers within your metro area for quotes. Choose a few (three?) of the best contenders. If you want you can ask the dealers who quoted high for a requote or you will take your business somewhere else.

Always bring any offers from other dealers back to another contending dealer. Get the quotes via email, so you don't spend any effort and you can have email documentation. Dealers know this tactic, so they will try to contact you directly. Do not visit dealers for quotes or allow them to contact you by phone. This creates effort on your part and then they "got you".

Do this for about 2-3 rounds of negotiations and take a look at your pricing. It should be around what you are looking for.

Number 1 rule for getting the lowest prices:
1. The less effort the dealer has to spend on you to finalize a deal, the better the final price. If you make a salesperson spend hours and days answering your questions and test driving, you will not get a good offer. Know all of your information beforehand (options, invoice prices, etc.)

Do this via email and keep it quick. Come into the dealership, read the contract and sign. They won't have to spend much time and cost to service your needs.
very good advice. Ty sir.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep

Most dealers in my area though refuse to give me their lowest price unless I really commit to the car. If this was the case, how am I supposed to get the lowest price out of the agent to compare to others if I can't promise him I'm getting it from his dealership?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Even though I have a good relationship with my local dealer and the employees, I always check out other dealers.In the course of conversation I'll usually ,subtly, let the salesman know that I've been checking out whats sitting on other dealers lots. Thats usually enough to keep them on their toes.But at the end of the day I'm not gonna go with a dealership I don't really like just because they offer to beat any price by $100.Yes I realize that any dealership has to do the warranty work regardless of where the car is bought, but that doesn't mean they'll treat you or your car with the same respect and sense of priority as if you had bought the car from them
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Even though I have a good relationship with my local dealer and the employees, I always check out other dealers.In the course of conversation I'll usually ,subtly, let the salesman know that I've been checking out whats sitting on other dealers lots. Thats usually enough to keep them on their toes.But at the end of the day I'm not gonna go with a dealership I don't really like just because they offer to beat any price by $100.Yes I realize that any dealership has to do the warranty work regardless of where the car is bought, but that doesn't mean they'll treat you or your car with the same respect and sense of priority as if you had bought the car from them
+1
We only have one dealer in Austin (yeah, i know it's a monopoly for a metro of 1.7 mil), but they are awesome. I price shopped with a couple dealers in dallas and even though I got a better deal at Classic BMW, it was only by a little bit. The Austin guy told me that we just can't match as low as Classic (b/c classic i think is the biggest volume seller in texas), but it was a nominal price difference. I don't have any regrets, b/c the service has been first-rate ever since and I have heard nothing but bad about Classic.

I think there is something to buying your car at the same place it is going to get serviced (and potentially traded-in later)
      04-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
Most dealers in my area though refuse to give me their lowest price unless I really commit to the car. If this was the case, how am I supposed to get the lowest price out of the agent to compare to others if I can't promise him I'm getting it from his dealership?
Even if you don't get a great deal, you were thinking of a 90K car anyway so is the money that much of a concern? I know it's important, everyone wants a deal, but according to what you've said before, you seem to be considering a 25-30K cheaper vehicle now...so I wouldn't think the few hundred bucks savnigs would be worth the effort and time investment for someone who was ready to ask their parents to drop $90K.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
..Get the quotes via email, so you don't spend any effort and you can have email documentation. Dealers know this tactic, so they will try to contact you directly....
Yes, that's very difficult because dealers KNOW you will just take their quote and go to another dealer to beat it. It sounds good in theory, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Look, what ever you may think, the deal always favors the dealer, offer what you consider fair and if they refuse it, walk.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

I in the uk email or fax a few dealers upto 6 after know what i want then go on brooker sites get best i can and go to dealer that have got the last two BMW's from with the best and they usually always beat it as they say don't ask them till you are happy you have the best price, i always buy Nov , Dec as find in uk they are trying to get there year end sales targets so big carrot dangled
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I would but there's really only 1 dealer within a range of about 2500-2800 miles

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Autumn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Yes, that's very difficult because dealers KNOW you will just take their quote and go to another dealer to beat it. It sounds good in theory, though.
On the contrary, I don't think it's difficult at all. Make sure they know you are serious. Call them to talk it over, but always insist the final quote be confirmed via email.

If they balk, remind them that either they can follow your instructions and make a sale, or not. Tell them that you need the quote that you just discussed in print form the very same day or they will be out of consideration. They will always want the sale.

The key is not to let them rope you around and make you waste time. If you waste time and effort, the dealer is winning because you've already sunk that much effort and are unwilling to let go. Don't ever let them get you a better offer "later". Make sure they give you their best offer now, while you are at the dealership. Tell them that if you leave they are not to contact you again. This is because most dealerships price discriminate between quick impulse buyers and discerning buyers by giving them "better offers" a few days later if the customer holds out. This results in you losing more time and effort to talk to them again.

The well-informed customer always has the power, because there are other dealerships. If there are not many BMW dealers in your area, drop subtle hints that you are considering an Audi A4 or MB C-Class. (things like asking the salesperson to contrast those cars' features with the 3 series, letting them see you have Audi paperwork in your folder, etc.)

The fact is, even if they sell it to you for invoice +1000 (a fairly low price), the dealer still makes a lot of cash. They can choose either take that cash from you or not. You have all the power. Every businessman will want to take that money. (exceptions are for custom ordered in demand cars)

Last edited by Autumn; 04-23-2012 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I would but there's really only 1 dealer within a range of about 2500-2800 miles
That me be a problem but some desperate dealers will deliver but maybe not that far
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
That me be a problem but some desperate dealers will deliver but maybe not that far
Oh yeah, they do deliver here, I know several people shopped out of state and had their car shipped here, simply because they didn't want to deal with my dealership. However, shipping a car here can easily cost 1000-1500 USD so you need to be able to get a great deal in order to do this and benefit from it. For me it was just not worth it

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Oh yeah, they do deliver here, I know several people shopped out of state and had their car shipped here, simply because they didn't want to deal with my dealership. However, shipping a car here can easily cost 1000-1500 USD so you need to be able to get a great deal in order to do this and benefit from it. For me it was just not worth it
So likely not to get good discounts on the new 3 yet
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
qiang.han
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30 335i is coming

alway comparing quotes from 2 dealers is necessary; however, on the new 3, i doubt there will be a big price differenc or discount from each due to the high demand...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
So likely not to get good discounts on the new 3 yet
Not in my case lol

Appreciate 0