F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Performance exhaust tips
ARMA SPEED

12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #67
jcastle
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 320i M-Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I meant our man from Helsinki.
Exactly, it's the dealer who is refusing to do the work.

He replied later today that according to their information other changes would also be needed in order to fit the performance exchaust tips and diffusor. He did not specify what changes but said that "in principle" they are not allowed to do the work according to instructions from the factory.

Anyone know what is the exact work needed to fit the performance tips and diffusor? Can I do it myself? Thanks!

Luckily we don't here have such challenges with insurers as our premiums are not affected by mods.
2013 BMW F30 320i - M-Sport, Alpine White, M Sport suspension and brakes, Sport AT, VSS, PDC, Xenon, High-beam assistant, Harman/Kardon, Extended BT, Rims 403M (summer 19") and 397 (winter 18"), M Performance: Exhaust, Rear Bumper Diffuser, Carbon fiber mirror caps, Carbon fiber rear spoiler, Black kidney grilles, Floor mats. 3M Brushed Black Metallic vinyl wrap roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #68
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Jcastle: I've had issues with certain BMW dealers here "not wanting to touch" certain things that aren't in their usual line of work etc. and that BMW haven't given them instructions for. I've always found that going to another more helpful, flexible dealer has got round the issue though (one of my local dealers wouldn't hardwire my camera into the car for instance as they "weren't allowed", while another dealer [one I've bought my 330d from] would no problem). So it might be worth trying another dealer if there is another one relatively local?
      12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #69
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastle View Post

Anyone know what is the exact work needed to fit the performance tips and diffusor? Can I do it myself? Thanks!
When I got my car, in the boot was the original diffuser and exhaust pipe. The exhaust has been cut clean off and the chrome end bit is welded to the exhaust so can't be detached easily.

The diffuser looks like it's just attached using a mix of clips and bolts/screws. I can take a picture of the parts when I get home tonight if that helps.

On another note I called my insurance company last night to switch over the insurance from the BMW 7 day. I told them about the diffuser and exhaust. It made no difference to my policy as they said it was original BMW parts (with no performance increase) and fitted by a dealer prior to delivery. I made sure is was added to my policy notes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #70
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
It occurs to me that this whole mods thing is biased in favour of the insurer charging an additional premium.

How about things that reduce the desirability of a car? E.g. "Yes I know you want £350 to insure my 328i, but it's Onion Silver so I want a 25% discount!" or "I put 16inch metal wheels with plastic hubcaps on it, I'd like a 50% discount!!"

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #71
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
When I got my car, in the boot was the original diffuser and exhaust pipe. The exhaust has been cut clean off and the chrome end bit is welded to the exhaust so can't be detached easily.

The diffuser looks like it's just attached using a mix of clips and bolts/screws. I can take a picture of the parts when I get home tonight if that helps.

On another note I called my insurance company last night to switch over the insurance from the BMW 7 day. I told them about the diffuser and exhaust. It made no difference to my policy as they said it was original BMW parts (with no performance increase) and fitted by a dealer prior to delivery. I made sure is was added to my policy notes.
Sounds like your insurance is better than Elephant then
      12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #72
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
It occurs to me that this whole mods thing is biased in favour of the insurer charging an additional premium.

How about things that reduce the desirability of a car? E.g. "Yes I know you want £350 to insure my 328i, but it's Onion Silver so I want a 25% discount!" or "I put 16inch metal wheels with plastic hubcaps on it, I'd like a 50% discount!!"
Definitely, it should go down as well as up!! I think most won't charge you for small mods (excluding Elephant/Admiral), but you should declare even to those that don't charge or ask, just to be safe...
      12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #73
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Sounds like your insurance is better than Elephant then
Aviva. Also no charge to switch to Winter tyres, some insurers were charging me for the paper work to switch over!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #74
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Aviva. Also no charge to switch to Winter tyres, some insurers were charging me for the paper work to switch over!
Christ, I don't tell them about the switch to winter tyres; it would be ridiculous them requiring you to, seeing as they're making the car much safer, and they also don't require that you tell them the make and/or model of your "normal" tyres; which would likely make a bigger difference of a crap budget tyre vs a premium tyre, to the safety of the car than with Summer vs Winter! So I doubt anything tyre-related would hold up...
      12-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #75
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Christ, I don't tell them about the switch to winter tyres; it would be ridiculous them requiring you to, seeing as they're making the car much safer, and they also don't require that you tell them the make and/or model of your "normal" tyres; which would likely make a bigger difference of a crap budget tyre vs a premium tyre, to the safety of the car than with Summer vs Winter! So I doubt anything tyre-related would hold up...
If you switch to winter tyres in winter, that might make the car more desirable to a thief... so they'll put your premium up.
If you don't switch to winter tyres in winter, that might increase your chances of having an accident... so they'll put your premium up.

Ahhh, I see how it works now

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #76
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you switch to winter tyres in winter, that might make the car more desirable to a thief... so they'll put your premium up.
If you don't switch to winter tyres in winter, that might increase your chances of having an accident... so they'll put your premium up.

Indeed! All money-grabbing b******s the lot of them
      12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #77
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I have never paid a penny for winter wheels/tyres on the last 4 new BMW's.
      12-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #78
jcastle
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Jcastle: I've had issues with certain BMW dealers here "not wanting to touch" certain things that aren't in their usual line of work etc. and that BMW haven't given them instructions for. I've always found that going to another more helpful, flexible dealer has got round the issue though (one of my local dealers wouldn't hardwire my camera into the car for instance as they "weren't allowed", while another dealer [one I've bought my 330d from] would no problem). So it might be worth trying another dealer if there is another one relatively local?
Agreed, have done this before. I wont be getting my car until week 5/2013 so I will have another talk with them closer to the delivery and see what they think. But yes, I have another dealer(s) closeby so if they wont be co-operative I will try another one..

Quote:

Thanks, looks like it's not that easy after all. Though I still think the dealer should be more co-operative with this since there is no otherwise easy way to add the twin tailpipe tips. If you bother and have the time, picture would be great. I am sure it might help also others, cheers!
2013 BMW F30 320i - M-Sport, Alpine White, M Sport suspension and brakes, Sport AT, VSS, PDC, Xenon, High-beam assistant, Harman/Kardon, Extended BT, Rims 403M (summer 19") and 397 (winter 18"), M Performance: Exhaust, Rear Bumper Diffuser, Carbon fiber mirror caps, Carbon fiber rear spoiler, Black kidney grilles, Floor mats. 3M Brushed Black Metallic vinyl wrap roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #79
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, looks like it's not that easy after all. Though I still think the dealer should be more co-operative with this since there is no otherwise easy way to add the twin tailpipe tips. If you bother and have the time, picture would be great. I am sure it might help also others, cheers!
Exhaust Pipe:

Diffuser Overall:

Diffuser Top:

Diffuser Top Clips:

Diffuser Bottom Screw holes:

The diffuser has small clips all along the top and sides, it looks like it's held in with screws which are all along the bottom, so it looks like quite an easy retro fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #80
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, have done this before. I wont be getting my car until week 5/2013 so I will have another talk with them closer to the delivery and see what they think. But yes, I have another dealer(s) closeby so if they wont be co-operative I will try another one..
I notice you have are buying a 320i, I read in another post that the M Performance Exhaust won't fit the 320i because the the shape and position of the exhaust is different from the F3X diesels.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #81
jcastle
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I notice you have are buying a 320i, I read in another post that the M Performance Exhaust won't fit the 320i because the the shape and position of the exhaust is different from the F3X diesels.
Yes, that's unfortunately true. It wont fit, also I quess for the below reasons which I found out today.

Thanks a lot for the pictures!

Quote:
"The last pipe before the backsilencer is connected in the 320i with a 60mm clip as in the 328i it's connected with a 75mm clip so the pipe before the backsilencer is different as well as the catalysator. So the change would beed more than the diffusor."
!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #82
styles997
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Msport

I'm insured with LV through Chris Knott and a few cars ago I had one that had a few mods. I declared everything and they told me it was all fine, including the power mods unless i fitted a roll cage or racing harnesses! haha
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #83
carlivory
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Hi lads i know this thread is a few months old but i bought an f30 320D and i want to get rid of the single pipe in favour of the dual m performance tips but it looks like the exhaust will have to be cut an welded, what are the chances they will do it for me , very slim id say
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #84
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlivory View Post
Hi lads i know this thread is a few months old but i bought an f30 320D and i want to get rid of the single pipe in favour of the dual m performance tips but it looks like the exhaust will have to be cut an welded, what are the chances they will do it for me , very slim id say
This company do great Tips.
Cyba in the States. Ordered these and got them in a week for the M5.
They are 90MM Black chrome and look great without having to spend a fortune on a new exhaust system.
Attached Images

07-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #85
Dannyb21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBC...

These look great, and probably better quality than the BMW version, plus potentially less hassle to fit?

What sort of cost were these, and would the do a 320D compatible version? Do you have some contact details for them?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #86
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyb21 View Post
These look great, and probably better quality than the BMW version, plus potentially less hassle to fit?

What sort of cost were these, and would the do a 320D compatible version? Do you have some contact details for them?
These cost me $275 which is £182.00 Delivered.
Took one week.

sales@dvisionwerks.com

Contact Derek.

Here is what they look like on an M5 in Monte Carlo Blue. Not the best picture sorry.
Attached Images

07-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #87
jcastle
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlivory View Post
The BMW M Performance exhaust pipe finishers in chrome are officially available for the 320D so I don't see any reason why your dealer wouldn't fit them.

Check HERE.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #88
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is a better picture
Attached Images