F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Carbon buildup on piston head
GetBMWParts

01-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #23
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Thanks for the advice I didn't want to resort to something like that without professional advice first. But I'm also getting a clicking from the engine that needs to be addressed as well so I'll be going into a shop sometime very soon.
Have you done a compression and leak down test yet?

Initially I just thought you scoped the area for fun. If you are having issues and abnormal noises, definitely follow porper protocol.

Check the compression on that cylinder, first.
I was doing a major overhaul and checked the piston since I had the plugs out alone with both intake and exhaust manifolds. I only fired it up to add oil to a safe level once the intake an exhaust manifolds and piping were installed.
I picked up a better scope to inspect further soon. Will be doing further testing today. Test driving yesterday was successful no codes except from my DV+. Also as soon as o finish the job I'm doing I'll be going to a proper shop to ensure everything is properly installed.

Every opinion so far is that this is quite unusual for buildup at 22k so I'm gonna spending some serious time on this. I don't want to wreck my car after spending 2 weeks installing all this stuff.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Quote:
Honestly I've never used anything other than Mobil Shell and BP 93 octane fuel.
Granted I'm not the first owner but it's a CPO. If I'm getting scammed with bad gas at those stations then we're all screwed.
So far every tank I've put in this one (5000 miles) has been the Shell Nitro+ at 93 oct. But I always have that concern since they are a single hose pump that something gets crossed internally and I pump 87 or hope the tanker truck didn't accidently mix when filling the ground tanks.
Ug i never even think of that possibility but it's pretty minimal in my opinion.
If only the Fuel-it E sensor could also read octane then we'd really know what's going on.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #25
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335I Sport

Quote:
Shockware is the only Dinan component I will keep I've already sold my Dinantronics and am trying to sell my springs now since I've got KW EDC Coilovers on the way.
That would be a nice setup, I'm sure you'll post once it's done right?

I plan to take the springs and Shockware setup from Dainan.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:36 PM   #26
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335
Quote:
Shockware is the only Dinan component I will keep I've already sold my Dinantronics and am trying to sell my springs now since I've got KW EDC Coilovers on the way.
That would be a nice setup, I'm sure you'll post once it's done right?

I plan to take the springs and Shockware setup from Dainan.
Eventually yes. KW was supposed to ship within 7 days. Then said 6 weeks after a week. So hopefully they come sooner than later but it's an open ended timeframe at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #27
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I'm excited to see your build when it's completed.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #28
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch
Lol so would I. This completion stage seems to slip further and further away. Right now I'm struggling with my JB4, got some firmware and settings to change to fit my new mods. And I've really got to handle this carbon issue gonna do seafoam today then compression and leak down tests tomorrow. Also now I need a catless DP to protect my turbo. Dream car build turned nightmare, just gotta keep pushing on until it's a dream again lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #29
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Please keep us all posted!!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #30
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Dream car build turned nightmare, just gotta keep pushing on until it's a dream again lol.
They don't call it Mod Hell for nothing

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #31
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Lol so would I. This completion stage seems to slip further and further away. Right now I'm struggling with my JB4, got some firmware and settings to change to fit my new mods. And I've really got to handle this carbon issue gonna do seafoam today then compression and leak down tests tomorrow. Also now I need a catless DP to protect my turbo. Dream car build turned nightmare, just gotta keep pushing on until it's a dream again lol.
Yes but you've come so far on your own that should keep you motivated.

And another thing (since I've heavily modded cars before), I like to keep things onnthensimple end of the spectrum now, I couldn't handle being forced to run a full catless DP due to the stage 2 turbo. I'm convinced now more then ever just do a stage 1. Actually I'm convinced now more then ever to jump into an M3
      01-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #32
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I ran into a CEL a few months back when I had filled up my tank at a BP station.
Ever since then I avoided it and 0 issues.. always enjoy Shell, 76, Valero, Costco (3-4 tanks of each before rotating). Then recently went with BP after a few months and was having some weird issues with long crank (not related i know) but what the odds of having BP in the tank.
Put a bottle of technron and filled up at Shell, went away..

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #33
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
I ran into a CEL a few months back when I had filled up my tank at a BP station.
Ever since then I avoided it and 0 issues.. always enjoy Shell, 76, Valero, Costco (3-4 tanks of each before rotating). Then recently went with BP after a few months and was having some weird issues with long crank (not related i know) but what the odds of having BP in the tank.
I just had my first long crank then a drivetrain malfunction for about 30 mins. Of course it was BP with about 30% E85 so wonder if it was a bit of bad fuel. I'll make a change to shell and see if that works better for me too.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #34
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Honestly I've never used anything other than Mobil Shell and BP 93 octane fuel.
Granted I'm not the first owner but it's a CPO. If I'm getting scammed with bad gas at those stations then we're all screwed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post
I just had my first long crank then a drivetrain malfunction for about 30 mins. Of course it was BP with about 30% E85 so wonder if it was a bit of bad fuel. I'll make a change to shell and see if that works better for me too.
U added 30% of E85 ?
Finish off that tank and see if it continues ?

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #35
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
U added 30% of E85 ?
Finish off that tank and see if it continues ?
Yeah I add around 4.5-5 gal of e85 and the rest 91, I was using map 5. It seems fine now but running map 2 right now. I'll make a change in fuel provider next fill up.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #36
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I add around 4.5-5 gal of e85 and the rest 91, I was using map 5. It seems fine now but running map 2 right now. I'll make a change in fuel provider next fill up.
Supposedly Map5 is more adaptable ... but i thought Map7 was for E85 mixes did u try that?
Map2 is not going to take advantage of the E85 perhaps

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #37
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Quote:
Dream car build turned nightmare, just gotta keep pushing on until it's a dream again lol.
They don't call it Mod Hell for nothing
Lol yeah except half my issues in finding are pre existing issues from the previous owner and some very shoddy workmanship from the dealers who took care of my car until i took over last year.
So if I didn't do this mod binge I'd never find these major issues but now I may need to undo it all to fix some things that were causing long term damage to the engine pre/modding.
Lesson learned the only person you can trust to do a job right is yourself since no shop I've been to allows me to watch and make sure they don't screw things up.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #38
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335
Quote:
If I'm forced to go back to Shell only I'll be unhappy not that I don't like shell it was my station of choice for over 10 years but it's only locations by me in the city are literally like under the highway in sketchy places I don't like stepping out of my car, but there's BPs all over every couple blocks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #39
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Yes but you've come so far on your own that should keep you motivated.

And another thing (since I've heavily modded cars before), I like to keep things onnthensimple end of the spectrum now, I couldn't handle being forced to run a full catless DP due to the stage 2 turbo. I'm convinced now more then ever just do a stage 1. Actually I'm convinced now more then ever to jump into an M3
Ive been shocked at how easy all the jobs were done.
And honestly the turbo job is simple even on xDrive. What's not simple is the ER charge air system on xDrive. I've pulled and installed that system a dozen + times and it's still the hardest thing I've ever had to do on my car.
But yeah an M3 would be nice, but I'm loving my car now still with no plans to sell it down the road it'll be a unique high HP full E85 sleeper.
If you're getting an M3 sooner than later lets shop for your F80 and my F83 at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #40
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC
I've never experienced issues in my fuel system so far as a CEL or malfunction of any kind and never get long cranks either. And I'm checking with Rheingold tests every time I come back from a test drive. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #41
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
but there's BPs all over every couple blocks.

BP = black pistons ?

You can come down here to the Gulf of Mexico, lots of BP oil in there.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 3
      01-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #42
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I'm forced to go back to Shell only I'll be unhappy not that I don't like shell it was my station of choice for over 10 years but it's only locations by me in the city are literally like under the highway in sketchy places I don't like stepping out of my car, but there's BPs all over every couple blocks.
Quote:
I've never experienced issues in my fuel system so far as a CEL or malfunction of any kind and never get long cranks either. And I'm checking with Rheingold tests every time I come back from a test drive. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Ha, well just make a trip when the sun is out and make it quick.

Fuel is one of those things, you can get the bottom of the tank crap. Or just bad quality once in awhile. Hence why we have a couple of filters for fuel, but they are not perfect.

Quote:
Supposedly Map5 is more adaptable ... but i thought Map7 was for E85 mixes did u try that?
Map2 is not going to take advantage of the E85 perhaps
Yes you are correct, Map 5 is the autotune function. Map 7 is for race gas unleaded only as they say. Map 2 can have a little E added in it.

Last edited by Zel335; 01-27-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #43
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Fuel is one of those things, you can get the bottom of the tank crap. Or just bad quality once in awhile. Hence why we have a couple of filters for fuel, but they are not perfect.

Yes you are correct, Map 5 is the autotune function. Map 7 is for race gas unleaded only as they say. Map 2 can have a little E added in it.
Very true..
Saw Terry himself do dyno on this new 340 w/ E30 and on Map7
no bolt-ons so figured it was for E85 uses lol and race fuel too

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Doesn't look bad to me. Google "BMW pistons" and you'll have a ton of photos to compare to.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0