F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Studio RSR

08-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #375
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
You do it on the iPhone's contacts in the phone itself.

The iPhone sees "through" these symbols so they still appear alphabetically in your phone's contacts.

The iDrive is more rudimentary, sorts the symbols independently and puts them atop the "A" group.

.Smith, Michael

...will show up sorted with the "S" group on the iPhone (Apple sees through the . symbol) but at the very top of the iDrive list (BMW counts the . symbol).

If you find the extra period annoying, you can create duplicate entries for just your Top 10 favorites. So, for example, your wife:

Smith, Michelle
.Smith, Michelle

...you create a dupe so that in your iPhone favorites list it'll show up without the period yet in the iDrive list it shows up with the period. Another wrinkle is that if you wish to have two unique dial settings for your wife's work and mobile numbers, do this:

Smith, Michelle
.Smith, Michelle Work
.Smith, Michelle Mobile

On the iPhone, the standard method puts both numbers on the one contacts entry. By putting these three entries into the iPhone contacts your iDrive will allow you to dial either the work or mobile numbers independently, saves you a click.

BJ
Excellent, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #376
flags
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
If you turn off your Heads Up Display (HUD), the information will instead appear in the screen at the bottom of the gauge cluster. This includes song titles/radio stations when scrolling with the steering wheel scroll button and arrows/street names/directions etc. when using the nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #377
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post
If you turn off your Heads Up Display (HUD), the information will instead appear in the screen at the bottom of the gauge cluster. This includes song titles/radio stations when scrolling with the steering wheel scroll button and arrows/street names/directions etc. when using the nav.
I think it also happens when you turn the ignition on without starting the engine, and play around with the thumb wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #378
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytyper View Post
wonderful thread,my first contribution

try this , if you in reverse (parking) whilst door is open when backing a little on
your drive way .leave your safety belt on , do not take it off , it will work.
i am old style and need to reverse with the door open.
does this mean we can't "ghost ride the whip"?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #379
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Something we may take for granted that might be confusing some would be the difference between Radio Presets and the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons.

One of the very best features of the F30 is that fact that you have instant access to a merged list of AM, FM, and Satellite radio stations available on the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. You set this by navigating to a favorite station under AM, FM, or Sirius tuners and adding to the Presets list. This list is available on the Radio main menu and on the scroll wheel.

Completely unrelated are the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons in the middle of the dash which are independent from the Radio Presets and can be programmed to execute functions in iDrive like map views, spilt-screen, voice dialing, etc.

When I first got my car I didn't realize that the two were different, thought that like a conventional car radio that the 1-8 buttons were for my radio stations under each individual tuner band. Was very surprised to find that a) I could merge all favorite radio stations on one list without toggling through AM>FM>SAT and that b) I could therefore free up the 1-8 buttons for more useful functional shortcuts buried in iDrive.

BJ
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #380
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Something we may take for granted that might be confusing some would be the difference between Radio Presets and the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons.

One of the very best features of the F30 is that fact that you have instant access to a merged list of AM, FM, and Satellite radio stations available on the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. You set this by navigating to a favorite station under AM, FM, or Sirius tuners and adding to the Presets list. This list is available on the Radio main menu and on the scroll wheel.

Completely unrelated are the 1-8 Shortcut Buttons in the middle of the dash which are independent from the Radio Presets and can be programmed to execute functions in iDrive like map views, spilt-screen, voice dialing, etc.

When I first got my car I didn't realize that the two were different, thought that like a conventional car radio that the 1-8 buttons were for my radio stations under each individual tuner band. Was very surprised to find that a) I could merge all favorite radio stations on one list without toggling through AM>FM>SAT and that b) I could therefore free up the 1-8 buttons for more useful functional shortcuts buried in iDrive.

BJ
just joining the party huh? wasn't this a carry over from the e90 with nav?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #381
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:

BJ
I probably would have figured that out, but who knows how long it would have taken. Thanks for saving me some time!
      08-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #382
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
just joining the party huh? wasn't this a carry over from the e90 with nav?
This is my third BMW since 2007 but the first with iDrive so it was a revelation to me. I was one of those types that would eschew OEM nav's because Garmin and the Nuvi were so great. But time goes by and standalone nav's have stalled technologically allowing the OEM's to catch up. The full integration can't be ignored either. BMW's execution is spot-on, really well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post
I probably would have figured that out, but who knows how long it would have taken. Thanks for saving me some time!
Whew, glad I wasn't the only one.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #383
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is my third BMW since 2007 but the first with iDrive so it was a revelation to me. I was one of those types that would eschew OEM nav's because Garmin and the Nuvi were so great. But time goes by and standalone nav's have stalled technologically allowing the OEM's to catch up. The full integration can't be ignored either. BMW's execution is spot-on, really well done.
sorry didn't mean to the bmw scene but the touch buttons.
you can do anything with those buttons. they are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #384
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
sorry didn't mean to the bmw scene but the touch buttons.
you can do anything with those buttons. they are awesome.
In the two E9X's I owned without iDrive the buttons were for radio programming only. So upon first getting my F30 I assumed the same thing until reading this thread and realizing that the 1-8 buttons are shortcuts to functions and that the "radio button presets" no longer exist and have been replaced with a scrolling preset list. That was a revelation. Then the fact that you can mix AM and FM and SAT on that one list without toggling through different modes is like Christmas in August. Then the fact that I've got the HUD and can see the radio stations floating on the tip of my hood is like the Easter Bunny marrying the Tooth Fairy and giving birth to the Great Pumpkin.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #385
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post
Whew, glad I wasn't the only one.
This thread has been great for preparing me for my new car. I have had my current car for over 15 years. Needless to say, it is missing a lot of the bells and whistles in the new cars. I am hoping to take delivery of my new car next Friday!
      08-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #386
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

is there a way to set the adaptive suspension to the stiffest setting at all times, even in eco mode?
      08-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #387
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
is there a way to set the adaptive suspension to the stiffest setting at all times, even in eco mode?
I've wondered and asked this as well.

I do recall reading that if you have adaptive suspension, then you will have a setting in idrive that allows you to set the suspension independent of sport, comfort, eco. So that you can have suspension on sport but driver mode on comfort. Or, set suspension to comfort with driver mode on sport.

I hope that's true.

I don't have my 3 yet and I'm already tired of the button pushing gymnastics.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #388
sonicgrounds
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
No but you can get close by changing to manual in Sport mode and driving in a high gear. Then you get the stiff steering & suspension, but low RPM with better gas mileage. But you have to move your fingers and shift the gears though, oh the horror!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #389
utnuc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 A4

Quote:

BJ

Fantastic post, was wondering how this worked. Was worried I'd have to decide between radio presets and useful iDrive functions. That would've limited me to only 3-4 presets for FM/sat radio.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #390
halfempty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Many complaints about the steering feel on the f30. I just noticed that when I place the car in sport mode the steering becomes noticeably tighter especially at lower speeds. I got the variable steering and I'm not sure if this change in sport mode only happens with this option or occurs for all models. As an mt driver the difference in throttle from comfort to sport doesn't really matter that much (I just step on the gas harder in comfort to get the same affect) but the steering change is great. I now leave it in sport all the time just for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #391
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfempty View Post
Many complaints about the steering feel on the f30. I just noticed that when I place the car in sport mode the steering becomes noticeably tighter especially at lower speeds. I got the variable steering and I'm not sure if this change in sport mode only happens with this option or occurs for all models. As an mt driver the difference in throttle from comfort to sport doesn't really matter that much (I just step on the gas harder in comfort to get the same affect) but the steering change is great. I now leave it in sport all the time just for this.
Steering stiffness adjust with or without VSS. With the throttle response are you saying you feel no difference? I feel a big difference on my 335i car is a whole different animal between modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #392
nmduke2001
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Garage door opener

Picked up my m-sport on 8.17.12. One thing that I find really frustrating is the fact that you must have the car "on" in order to use the garage door opener. Normally, I would pull into the garage, turn off the car and then hit the button to close the door as I get out but the button is useless if the car is off.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #393
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
Picked up my m-sport on 8.17.12. One thing that I find really frustrating is the fact that you must have the car "on" in order to use the garage door opener. Normally, I would pull into the garage, turn off the car and then hit the button to close the door as I get out but the button is useless if the car is off.
I agree, it's a PITA; I just adapted to it.

Does BMW do this for security reasons?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #394
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Maybe it's to stop someone smashing your window and activating your garage door, enabling them to steal your car more easily? Or if your car is parked outside, maybe it's so someone can't smash your car wiondow and break into your house more easily through your garage?
      08-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #395
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I found that with enhanced BT (included with BMW Assist), but without BMW Apps, that I can still stream Pandora from my iPhone to the car over Bluetooth.

I always though that BMW Apps was required for Pandora streaming. I was considering retrofitting BMW Apps just for this one feature as I don't want/need twitter/facebook/etc integration.

I can select back/forward track via the iDirve, but not the thumps up/down, favorites, pick station, etc. that is shown in the marketing literature. I guess you need BMW Apps for that level of integration.

I also downloaded the BMW Connected application for iPhone and the Web Radio part of that app streams to the car too.

Last edited by Frogman; 08-29-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #396
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmduke2001
Does not sound thread related. Sounds more like a complain than a cool feature.
Appreciate 0