F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Couple questions about 328i need advice please
Extreme Powerhouse

04-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Couple questions about 328i need advice please

Hi Guys, I am on the market to buy a car for a while now first of start it with infiniti G37x changed my mind to Audi A4 and Mercedes C300 finally i am here 2012 BMW 328i. I live in denver colorado we go get snow but normally 15-20 days per winter sometimes it turns ugly but i do drive a Honda accord right now even with that i do use winter tires. Long story short never driven a BMW before and never drove a RWD car before so first 3 cars i looked they were all AWD vehicles so i am pretty scared about BMW please give me some input.

By the way I find a car i like i am not sure on the color yet I really like the red but the sales person is saying i may get tired of red after few years, what do you think? By the way i keep my cars about 10 years. here is the inside options i found the car is on its way be here in a week.

sport line
cold weather
premium one (dakota leather /w red stitching)
technology package
Drivers assistant package
BMW assist with enhanced bluetooth and usb
xenon
$45275+tax

I have another question.
For BMW apps i need that BMW assist with enh...(i have no idea what this is by the way) but this specific car doesn't have the $250 BMW app since i have all the requirements for it can i get it from the dealer later on?

And how is the price by the way. supposedly it should be a +$300 over invoice price and +$399 dealers handling fee.

I am really excited finally i decided on a car but still have some concerns about the RWD.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

pretty sure as long as you have a set of snow tires/rims you should be fine. But i dont have any expereince in winter driving
      04-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Luch1991
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Shouldn't be a problem for 15-20 days of snow. I drive a 1er in Canada and have 3-4 months of snow. My only complaint is that it can get pretty annoying on a snowy day when traction control is constantly coming on but that shouldn't be a big problem for you. Putting a couple of bags of salt in my trunk helps a bit on the traction. Just went through my 4th winter and still extremely happy I went with bmw!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

looks like a good price.. MSRP:

YOTAL MSRP AS BUILT$48,995

so $3700 off sticker is a hell of a deal.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

I live in Colorado and drive a '98 3 series coupe (RWD). Like others have said, as long as you get a set of good snow tires (Blizzaks are usually a solid choice), you'll be fine. I've had my car for about six years and I've never felt like I needed or really wanted AWD. The only cases where it's really useful in CO are if you have a steep driveway at your house or if you go into the mountains frequently during the winter.

That's my opinion anyway. Most people will buy xDrive models here of course, but for me advantages are small and the downsides are considerable (the car is more expensive, slightly worse gas mileage, the car isn't as balanced as a normal RWD BMW). Do what you want though. If you'd feel better with an xDrive and don't mind the cost, then go for it. Snow tires are still useful though (AWD doesn't help you stop any better).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep

cool thanks for the respond about the RWD issue that is a relief i do have a tire shop so winter tires shouldn't be a problem.

What about the BMW apps since the One i will get has the tech package and bmw assist with bluetooth and usb do u think i can get the BMW aps later on.

And about having a red BMW are you getting tired after a while. Because sales person said people most often get tired after a while. Any input on that?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
chip2058
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _BMWnEwBiE_ View Post
cool thanks for the respond about the RWD issue that is a relief i do have a tire shop so winter tires shouldn't be a problem.

What about the BMW apps since the One i will get has the tech package and bmw assist with bluetooth and usb do u think i can get the BMW aps later on.

And about having a red BMW are you getting tired after a while. Because sales person said people most often get tired after a while. Any input on that?
You can't retrofit BMW Apps. I looked into this for four weeks. Despite having enhanced BT/Assist what you're lacking is SmartPhone Prep (dealers dont order smartphone prep without ordering apps). Smartphone prep was I believe standard in the E9x so it was easier to retrofit, but for now the answer I've received from BMW is no.

From what I hear though, no big loss. You can still stream bluetooth audio from your phone all you lose out on is MOG and Pandora (which again you can start from your phone and stream).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dang i am kind an upset i was hoping to get that i just like technology and cool gadgets o well there may be more cars available i wish there was a way to check all dealers inventory from one spot because most of the dealers inventory sucks so bad I cannot see any options on the car.
Do get an Adaptive M suspension do i need to order from dealer directly because I haven't seen any cars at the dealers with that option at all. And is that option only available with sports line?
Thanks for the Help guys
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
chip2058
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _BMWnEwBiE_ View Post
Dang i am kind an upset i was hoping to get that i just like technology and cool gadgets o well there may be more cars available i wish there was a way to check all dealers inventory from one spot because most of the dealers inventory sucks so bad I cannot see any options on the car.
Do get an Adaptive M suspension do i need to order from dealer directly because I haven't seen any cars at the dealers with that option at all. And is that option only available with sports line?
Thanks for the Help guys
Go into the dealer and establish a relationship with a CA. Then ask if they can put out a locator. I was shopping at one of the largest dealers in New England but they didn't have what I want. I asked if they could do a locator and he said he wasn't sure if they were trading cars yet. It was the end of the month so they were willing to.

We spend an hour in front of the screen making various trade-offs but found a car in port that had been sitting in waiting with no priority for it that they were able to trade for and get in within a week.

I'd say don't settle. Either they can find something, or they can build it for you. Average build / delivery time is 6-8 weeks (though I imagine they'll be shutting down the line at some point to make the July changeovers). Typically if a dealer doesn't have a production slot they can trade for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
Rep

I felt like my dealer is not so happy about me being a Costco customer because according to their deal with Costco they need to sell the car $300 over invoice price + their dealer handling fee which is another $399 but i will stop by over there to see what i can do to make them work.
By the way between the sport line and luxury line is the suspension quite different? I test drove the sport but not the luxury i kind a find suspension a little rougher but i love the sport line designs that is why i was looking for adaptive M suspension to make it smoother.
Appreciate 0