F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Waiting... New BMW 330e ad goes after Tesla Model 3 prospective buyers
Extreme Powerhouse

08-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #89
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy View Post
I have an E93 M3 and I am really happy with it. It has 109,000 miles on it and became my garage queen after I bought the Tesla. It is in mint condition and I have no plans to sell it.

The "M4" never really did it for me. Turbo charged engine, fake sound pumped into the cabin, electric steering, subpar interior, the list goes on.

I think it will go down in history as the moment BMW M lost its mojo.

I am not trying to persuade anyone. I am simply stating a fact and putting my money where my mouth is. Model X >>>>> X5. Not even close. Put a V8 engine in both and the Model X still leaves the X5 for dead.

The e93 M3 is a pig of a car that should have never been built. Not sure why someone would want to own a M3 with 400lbs of extra weight. Wrong car and engine for a hardtop convertible.

Of course a 130k car is better than a 80k car. Shocking! Why didn't you cross shop the X against the X5M, the AMG GL, or Cayenne Turbo S? Because the story doesn't sound as good against competitors in the same league.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #90
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
lol I like this Ads
      08-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #91
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

You could lease the 330e and turn it in by the time the tesla is ready

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 2
oolas3387.00
DD335i116.00
      08-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #92
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I3 has the looks of the pontiac Aztec. And it had the sales to match. Glad it's dying the undignified death it deserved.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #93
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I have an E93 M3 and I am really happy with it. It has 109,000 miles on it and became my garage queen after I bought the Tesla. It is in mint condition and I have no plans to sell it.

The "M4" never really did it for me. Turbo charged engine, fake sound pumped into the cabin, electric steering, subpar interior, the list goes on.

I think it will go down in history as the moment BMW M lost its mojo.

I am not trying to persuade anyone. I am simply stating a fact and putting my money where my mouth is. Model X >>>>> X5. Not even close. Put a V8 engine in both and the Model X still leaves the X5 for dead.
But have you seen the Model X? I get the feeling Tesla only focuses on the technology, and forgets to design a car that looks halfway decent. It's extremely bland and looks like the Koreans designed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #94
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Looks like a ford focus and a prius got together, had a mutant love child, and it got all the worst traits of both.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #95
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
A plug in hybrid is vastly superior to a full electric in the world as it is today.
Agree, but if you're only getting 14 miles of electric range what's the point in having the car at all? Release it when you get it to return maybe 40-50 miles of electric range and then the car becomes compelling.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #96
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
The e93 M3 is a pig of a car that should have never been built. Not sure why someone would want to own a M3 with 400lbs of extra weight. Wrong car and engine for a hardtop convertible.

Of course a 130k car is better than a 80k car. Shocking! Why didn't you cross shop the X against the X5M, the AMG GL, or Cayenne Turbo S? Because the story doesn't sound as good against competitors in the same league.
E93 M3 is a great car, in my humble opinion. Definitely the best hard top convertible of its time. I wanted a hard top convertible. Perfect match. I understand there are those who disagree with me and this is why BMW makes different versions of the same car. To each its own.

I did cross shop for some of the cars you mentioned above. I needed a 7-seat SUV, which narrows the field. I did not want a small tank with outdated design and technology so off the GL. The X5 third row is a joke BMW tried to play with their clients. First one to be crossed off the list.The only contenders were the new Q7 and the new XC90. But them I test drove a Model S and decided I was definitely going electric. At that point there was only one choice.

However, even if the Model X had a gas engine, it would beat all the cars you mention. Not even close.

Now let me ask you: Have you actually driven a Model X? Or a Model S?

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #97
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
But have you seen the Model X? I get the feeling Tesla only focuses on the technology, and forgets to design a car that looks halfway decent. It's extremely bland and looks like the Koreans designed it.
Here we go again!

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #98
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
I have seen several up close and in person. I find it to be awesome inside and out, and very non-Korean. If anything, BMW has migrated toward a more homogeneous, Asian design language.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #99
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Looks like a ford focus and a prius got together, had a mutant love child, and it got all the worst traits of both.
Looks like the EV market is a bigger deal than you thought after all, eh? You'll figure it out soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #100
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I have seen several up close and in person. I find it to be awesome inside and out, and very non-Korean. If anything, BMW has migrated toward a more homogeneous, Asian design language.
The Model S design was obviously influenced by a Maserati or Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #101
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
The regular Tesla looks extremely cheap to me on the inside. Lots of hard plastic, and in general, very unrefined. Honestly feels like a cheap rental inside, just with that odd 42" screen in the dash like the Hot Boys had back in the days.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #102
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The regular Tesla looks extremely cheap to me on the inside. Lots of hard plastic, and in general, very unrefined. Honestly feels like a cheap rental inside, just with that odd 42" screen in the dash like the Hot Boys had back in the days.
Tesla with cheap interior? Have you ever seen one?

I have one of the most comfortable perforated and ventilated leather seats ever designed, two-tone high-end leather in steering wheel, doors panels, dashboard and all over, alcantara headliner, heating in all 7 seats, heated steering wheel, matte obeche wood trim, electric adjustment for everything. Even the windshield wipers are heated! How many cheap rental cars have the sun visor covered in alcantara? Are you really sure you have actually seem one inside?

The center screen maybe controversial for the uninitiated. I happen to think it is extremely functional and gives the car a sophisticated and clean look. But this is my opinion. The high-end interior is a indisputable fact.

If you disagree, point to me a cheap rental car that has a similar level of refinement in the interior. I know of none. Or just tell me what pieces of cheap plastic you are referring to.

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-07-2016 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #103
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Looks like the EV market is a bigger deal than you thought after all, eh? You'll figure it out soon enough.
Lmao. Riiiiiiiight.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #104
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Lmao. Riiiiiiiight.
Instead of poking fun of Tesla and insulting the consumers they are trying to attract with in a nonsensical commercial, BMW should try to figure out why someone like me, a bimmer fan, would pay way north of 100K for an electric car. Or why 400,000 people passed on the "Ultimate Driving Machine" and put down $1,000 of their hard cash to wait for a car they have not even seem yet.

I think I know why. If BMW thinks those people would actually consider their 330e, they are up for a rude awakening...

A piece of unsolicited advice: Book a test drive for a Model X or Model S. Take it for a spin. It is free. It does not hurt. Maybe then you can actually render a constructive opinion as opposed to make silly statements about cheap interior or insults to the "non-enthusiasts".

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #105
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepboy
As far as Autopilot, it is just a fact that it is safer than a human driver. So, yes, I am part of the Autopilot crowd. And if BMW does not come up with something similar soon, good luck selling luxury cars!.
News flash, that's been out for quite a while now.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #106
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Tesla with cheap interior? Have you ever seen one?

I have one of the most comfortable perforated and ventilated leather seats ever designed, two-tone high-end leather in steering wheel, doors panels, dashboard and all over, alcantara headliner, heating in all 7 seats, heated steering wheel, matte obeche wood trim, electric adjustment for everything. Even the windshield wipers are heated! How many cheap rental cars have the sun visor covered in alcantara? Are you really sure you have actually seem one inside?

The center screen maybe controversial for the uninitiated. I happen to think it is extremely functional and gives the car a sophisticated and clean look. But this is my opinion. The high-end interior is a indisputable fact.

If you disagree, point to me a cheap rental car that has a similar level of refinement in the interior. I know of none. Or just tell me what pieces of cheap plastic you are referring to.
I'm talking about the Model S here, you might be talking about another model. I've been in many Model S. Like I said, it all feels very cheap to me. For a car that expensive, you'd think it would be a bit more luxurious. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm a fan of technology. Would love to own a fully electric vehicle some day. But if I do, the most important thing is that they look halfway decent, both inside and outside. The Tesla does not.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #107
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
The Tesla looks extremely cheap to me on the inside. Lots of hard plastic, and in general, very unrefined. Honestly feels like a cheap rental inside, just with that odd 42" screen in the dash like the Hot Boys had back in the days.
Lol exactly! Putting a 65" TV in a 350 square foot apartment probably makes it nice, to the tesla crowd. Here's something 4 adults over 5'10" will never do- ride in a model s at the same time. The rear head room is non-existent.

Here's 2 words a tesla owner will never say together- road trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #108
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm talking about the Model S here, you might be talking about another model. I've been in many Model S. Like I said, it all feels very cheap to me. For a car that expensive, you'd think it would be a bit more luxurious.
If you are talking about the base, entry-level Model S, then yes, the interior is not as nice. But is the interior of the base 5 series any better?

Don't get me wrong: A base S is way more expensive than a base 5, but people who buy Teslas are not necessarily looking for the cheapest car. They are just looking for the best car!

When you buy a base S, you are paying for the battery pack. If you want the best all electric sedan, there is no competition. If you a 7-seat electric SUV, there is no competition. If you put price-to-price comparisons aside, the high-end Tesla interior is nicer than pretty much any BMW being currently produced.

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-07-2016 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #109
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Lol exactly! Putting a 65" TV in a 350 square foot apartment probably makes it nice, to the tesla crowd. Here's something 4 adults over 5'10" will never do- ride in a model s at the same time. The rear head room is non-existent.

Here's 2 words a tesla owner will never say together- road trip.
I just did a week long trip from Boston to Acadia National park, four bikes on the rack and fully loaded with luggage, most of the time on Autopilot (safety). Drove up and down the mountains. Close to 1,000 miles altogether. Total cost of gasoline? Size of the smile in my face going up Cadillac Mountain with all that electric torque? Take a guess.

This is us, ready to leave and in Bar Harbor. Does it count as road trip?
Attached Images

Last edited by sheepboy; 08-07-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #110
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
News flash, that's been out for quite a while now.
Apparently some people in this forum are not paying attention to the news. Or just ignoring the facts. This seems to be a trend now, especially with the Trump crowd

Appreciate 0