F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Xdrive came into its own.....
ARMA SPEED

02-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Xdrive came into its own.....

I drove back from the Lakes to Newcastle yesterday. Took the A686. That road is definitely one on the best driving roads in the country that I have been on. Spectacular. Rising to almost 2000ft in places with all kinds of bends and dips.

http://www.drivingroads.co.uk/hartside-pass-a686/

On the section climbing up to Hartside pass, there are a series of very tight bends, almost 180deg with very steep inclines. The last time I went up there was in my E92 335d and it really struggled for grip on a lot of the corners so had to be really careful. This time I had xdrive and it was amazing. Gives you a lot more confidence.
This is a road made for the 335d xdrive with its huge torque and grip.

One thing I will say though is that the suspension is not good for the very bumpy and undulating surfaces on the long straights. I have ACS and a rear ARB. I suspect I would need some better shocks to stop the car from bouncing around. In a couple of places I thought it may have bottomed out. Certainly limited my speed i those sections. ALL WITHIN NATIONAL SPEED LIMITS
Appreciate 3
Junebug851648.50
Soul_Glo13381.50
neilr45.50
      02-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
I drove back from the Lakes to Newcastle yesterday. Took the A686. That road is definitely one on the best driving roads in the country that I have been on. Spectacular. Rising to almost 2000ft in places with all kinds of bends and dips.

http://www.drivingroads.co.uk/hartside-pass-a686/

On the section climbing up to Hartside pass, there are a series of very tight bends, almost 180deg with very steep inclines. The last time I went up there was in my E92 335d and it really struggled for grip on a lot of the corners so had to be really careful. This time I had xdrive and it was amazing. Gives you a lot more confidence.
This is a road made for the 335d xdrive with its huge torque and grip.

One thing I will say though is that the suspension is not good for the very bumpy and undulating surfaces on the long straights. I have ACS and a rear ARB. I suspect I would need some better shocks to stop the car from bouncing around. In a couple of places I thought it may have bottomed out. Certainly limited my speed i those sections. ALL WITHIN NATIONAL SPEED LIMITS
Nice write up... Sounds like you had fun!

I drove to Edinburgh last Sunday with the fiancé... 335dx with winter tyres on... the car was great on the A68 and A696. Gave me the confidence to stick it in the bends and it just grips! I've done the same journey in a rwd F10 but this time round it was more enjoyable.

I haven't got ACS springs yet. Hoping to do that mod soon!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
AlphaBravo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport Coupe

I did it the opposite way on Wednesday, Newcastle to Penrith. It was closed at the very beginning due to snow but was well gritted. I took an alternative route to begin with and somehow ended up back on it without passing any signs indicating it was closed.

This was without x-drive and it was HUGE fun without another car in sight. I almost turned round and did it again.

Definitely the best road I've ever driven and I'd love a go in the summer with it closed, unfortunately you'd have to be well above NSL in parts in the dry to be having fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Jcborden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I've had the past week in Fort William and did some skiing at Ben Nevis. Had loads of snow and some really slippy roads which the 335D made a pleasure to drive. It was really really good. the 19s and low profile tyres really didn't like the potholes though, had a number of really harsh BANGs despite trying to be really careful (thankfully I can't see any damage though).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Oh yes! I don't care what people say. Xdrive gives me that extra safety margin in cold and damp conditions.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manivxr View Post
Oh yes! I don't care what people say. Xdrive gives me that extra safety margin in cold and damp conditions.
Yep it does.

I was up near Alton Towers at weekend - Alton Ramblers Retreat.

To get there it was all back roads Bxxx etc from Wolves.

Was a great drive, admittedly I don't have wiishy washy suspension these days
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcborden View Post
I've had the past week in Fort William and did some skiing at Ben Nevis. Had loads of snow and some really slippy roads which the 335D made a pleasure to drive. It was really really good. the 19s and low profile tyres really didn't like the potholes though, had a number of really harsh BANGs despite trying to be really careful (thankfully I can't see any damage though).
Not done that run up the West Coast of Scotland for a long time, but remember that thats also one of the best in the UK. A82 i think. Goes through Glencoe.

I am planning walking Ben Nevis in the summer so will get to try this out in the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Manivxr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Yep it does.

I was up near Alton Towers at weekend - Alton Ramblers Retreat.

To get there it was all back roads Bxxx etc from Wolves.

Was a great drive, admittedly I don't have wiishy washy suspension these days
yes i know it. Usually go for a drive around the peaks with the vx220 crew. But not had the fun of taking the bmw up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Jcborden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Not done that run up the West Coast of Scotland for a long time, but remember that thats also one of the best in the UK. A82 i think. Goes through Glencoe.

I am planning walking Ben Nevis in the summer so will get to try this out in the 335d.
Yes indeed, the A82, beautiful if pot hole riddled road.

Here’s a shot from my drone for those that don’t know the area :-)
Appreciate 1
Junebug851648.50
      02-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
Definitely the best road I've ever driven and I'd love a go in the summer with it closed, unfortunately you'd have to be well above NSL in parts in the dry to be having fun.
Easily doable, if you pick the right day there's very little traffic with great visibility.
Appreciate 0