F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT maps and software/firmware
proTUNING Freaks

01-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Peter-K
Private
Rep
Drives: 220d M Sport

NBT maps and software/firmware

UK car with the "professional" system with 2014-1 mapping. I think the country is irrelevant.
I live in a rural area and the car routes are neither the fastest or the shortest. A simple route put into Google, Here.com (Navteq/nokia/microsoft) etc. will create near identical routes (and alternatives) and ConnectedDrive "send to car" displays similar/identical routes. These are in my opinion correct. If the routes are sent to the car or saved and loaded by USB stick then the route as "mapped" by the car bears little relation to the planned / expected / reasonable route.

As far as I can tell the car avoids certain roads or road junctions. It will use 2.7 miles of a road to go to the local golf club but if the destination is moved .3 mile to the end of the road then the car plans a 9 (nine!!!) mile route from the same starting point.

Here's an example to the local rail station
View post on imgur.com
If I'd asked for directions I'd have got "Straight on to T junction, turn right, first left and you are on Station Road
At the request of BMW the car has been back to the dealer who agree routes "are ridiculous". They looked at the car for 1hr in September and said they could find nothing wrong and didn't know what they could do. BMW's latest response this year says: "......, we would advise speaking with the dealer in regards to doing a full diagnostic on the Nav system, and possibly reinstalling the most up to date software. ........".

I've a Kenwood (garmin sat nav "engine") in my Subaru and have no issues with its routing.

I've searched forums but 3 character strings NBT, Sat Nav, etc. are a problem (even with logical operators) and I have found nothing relevant. Before I respond to BMW can anyone help with:

Is there such a beast as a full diagnostic of the sat nav system ? - I'm not saying positioning or direction/speed are in any way wrong.

Does a map upgrade to say 2015-1 also update the software - Can updated software only be supplied? Don't want argument over charge for new mapping.
Are there any "coding" flags that could set the routing as if I was driving an articulated vehicle ( US = semi-trailer truck? ) and needed to avoid tight turns.?
There is a class action against BMW USA about defective sat nav routing - any details? Best I've found is http://www.classactionsnews.com/cons...action-lawsuit (and it won't relate to NBT?)
Does BMW publish change logs for sat nav upgrades? If I have to buy new mapping >200USD I'd like to know more than "well it has new roads on it" and no doubt I'll be told "New maps may fix it but you'll have to pay once we install them"

Not directly related but on US models do you get elevation in yards on the detailed sat nav position screen or do you get it in feet? I get "yards" in the UK and it annoys me - my stereotype view of a US town sign always looks like http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...tart=0&ndsp=49
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

AFAIK the map software will not update the firmware of NBT, it's just mapping/POI data

If any of the roads you're using happened to be inaccessible by the team gathering mapping data it might explain why the car isn't using them, since it thinks they are inaccessible.

To clarify on updates, 2014 means it has all the data gathered by the team in 2013. Just like 2015 means it has all the data gathered by the team in 2014. If anything has changed since then, it won't know - unlike Google/other live maps which are updated all the time because you're pulling data from their server for your request.

Check your routing preferences; are you using dynamic routing? Fastest route? Shortest route? Avoid tolls? Avoid highways? etc.

Also a fucking class action? Jesus people. Stop being idiots. Whenever I've had an inconsistency with my nav I've just shrugged it off [.. and it's never really been that many. The most humoring one was when rental told me to make a let on a street.. To give it credit, the street DOES connect to the place I was going, but it's a small private road. The owners had a big sign that said TURN AROUND YOUR GPS IS WRONG]. It's an assistive technology, not a damned guaranteed. It requires you, as the driver, to have some thought process.. although most people drive like fucking idiot zombies so I guess a class action makes sense.
      01-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-K View Post
UK car with the "professional" system with 2014-1 mapping.

If I have to buy new mapping >200USD I'd like to know more than "well it has new roads on it" and no doubt I'll be told "New maps may fix it but you'll have to pay once we install them"
I doubt you will find change logs on any maps provided to cars - and then sure is worth keeping the sat nav info up to date - there is this article re. free over the air map updates here but we are still to see any real evidence of that happening.

I would suggest you contact a member of this forum "Dracon" he was extremely helpful explaining me some bits around map updates and helped me upgrade last summer.

I see there are 2015 maps already available. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995629

Last edited by x-m4n; 01-22-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

I've created a step by step guide on page 2 of this thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1056107, you just need a coding cable (£10-£20, off ebay) and the esys software (free from this site, check out the coding section). The software to generate the FSC code, is attached to the guide.
Appreciate 0