F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Airbag Not Recalled????
ARMA SPEED

11-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
nadthomas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

Airbag Not Recalled????

About a year ago various automotive websites reported that the Takata airbag recall had expanded to include my 2013 328i. Several months later I received a letter from BMW saying my car was included as part of the airbag recall. The letter also said parts were in low supply, but my local dealership would contact me as soon as the parts became available.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from whatever company is running Takata's bankruptcy. Saying that I needed to contact my dealership ASAP to schedule the replacement of my airbag or the cost to replace my airbag might not be covered. So, I called my local dealership today, and they tell me that based on my VIN, my car is not included in the recall.

Good news I guess, but has anyone else had a similar experience?

2013 BMW 328i 6MT - Dinan Sport Tune, Eibach Sportline Springs, Apex Arc 8 18x9, MPSS 255/40/18 Square
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Try putting your VIN into the NHTSA recall web site and see if they say your car has a recall against it.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
VCuomo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

To see what recalls are active for your BMW, log in to bmwusa.com and press the "Safety Recalls" button on the main page.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
About a year ago various automotive websites reported that the Takata airbag recall had expanded to include my 2013 328i. Several months later I received a letter from BMW saying my car was included as part of the airbag recall. The letter also said parts were in low supply, but my local dealership would contact me as soon as the parts became available.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from whatever company is running Takata's bankruptcy. Saying that I needed to contact my dealership ASAP to schedule the replacement of my airbag or the cost to replace my airbag might not be covered. So, I called my local dealership today, and they tell me that based on my VIN, my car is not included in the recall.

Good news I guess, but has anyone else had a similar experience?
This whole BNW Takata Air Bag recall is just very strange to me.

In the Summer if 2016 BMW Dealers were telling me most of their 2012/2013 Lease Returns that would usually be put on lot as CPOs were red tagged and could not be sold or sent to auction as replacement airbags were unavailable.

For those unaware, Dealers must buyback most all the leases they write. As thus they had “fleets” of red tagged vehicles.

Yet there were minimal posts online about owner inability to receive replacements.

The disconnect remains very puzzling.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
///mWagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 ///M Wagon

Takata going bankrupted doesnt help either
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mWagon View Post
Takata going bankrupted doesnt help either
Your warranty isn’t with Takata.

BMW’s might be...depending on the language of their contract.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
nadthomas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
Your warranty isn’t with Takata.

BMW’s might be...depending on the language of their contract.
The car is out of BMW warranty.

I have put my vin into a couple of different website to lookup if its included in the recall currently, and they do indeed say that my car is not included in the recall. I just found the situation odd and was curious if any other 2013 owners had the same experience or if anyone had more details.

2013 BMW 328i 6MT - Dinan Sport Tune, Eibach Sportline Springs, Apex Arc 8 18x9, MPSS 255/40/18 Square
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

We were told our 2013 328i X (built 10/2012) was not affected by the recall. The three E46s & E39 were handled perfectly once parts were in stock.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:53 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
My 2009 E92 328 WAS included in the recall & I NEVER got the airbag replaced - dealer kept giving me the runaround.

Turns out I should have opted for the free loaner car they were offering until your car got fixed - seems those were the only people in my area that actually had the airbag replaced in their personal cars because the dealer wanted to get out from under paying for the loaner cars as fast as possible

Once again -it's all about 'who can we fuck over the easiest'

I traded the car in earlier this year with recall still in effect & not repaired. Dealer didn't say anything, didn't pay me any less for my car in trade, & sold it to someone else 1 wk later - so I guess it's their problem now
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Lemme get this straight....the dealer gave you the runaround about a federally mandated recall, you sat on your butt and took it...and then you bought another car from him.

Looks like the answer to your question is you. Can you say “Baaaa”?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

My experiences at the service center versus showrooms can be night and day...just sayin'. I mean bad business is bad business which would've left a bad taste in my mouth but you never know how one might feel about it.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Lemme get this straight....the dealer gave you the runaround about a federally mandated recall, you sat on your butt and took it...and then you bought another car from him.

Looks like the answer to your question is you. Can you say “Baaaa”?
Yeah, none of the above...
  • First off, I personally wasn't worried about the problem as it wasn't reported to have happened with BMW - or I would have asked for a loaner car to begin with. Only posted to state that in a years time, I never had mine replaced
  • In the years time that elapsed from notice till I traded in the car, I called 3X. Each time the SA stated they did not have any parts available to replace it with yet. I could possibly understand this as the Takata airbags were used in many different car mfg. other than BMW across their model lineups, and that would be a shit ton of new airbags that would have to be made to fulfill recall.
  • It was also my understanding that failures occurred mostly in states with high humidity & heat. For this reason, any replacements to fulfill the recall were going to states where this was a problem 1st - Pennsylvania is not one of those states
  • I have no proof that my specific dealer in PA was getting in new airbags & replacing them for customers that had loaners 1st - I based that comment on the statements made by many forum members that did have them replaced - seemed that an awful lot of them coincidentally had a loaner car
  • It doesn't matter if the recall was mandated by God himself, or how much/many times I bitched - if they state they don't have the parts available - how would I ever prove otherwise? Maybe sit at the dealer & go thru all parts shipments coming in to scan for new airbags?
  • And again, in the end, I couldn't have cared less because I wasn't worried about the problem
  • And lastly, only reason I traded my E92 328iX in for my new F32 435iX is because the deal was too good to pass up on a car that was highly optioned/much faster than the car I presently had. I wasn't even looking to trade the car - opportunity just presented itself (my 328 only had 80K on her)
  • The car was traded in & new car purchased from an entirely different dealer than where I got my 328 from - so your sheep analogy doesn't apply

But hey, thanx for your comment made based on no real information
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0