F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Water Drain Issue - Very Weird
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Water Drain Issue - Very Weird

So I posted this in the wrong subsection. The short of it. Yesterday I noticed that a strong mildewy smell was present in my car every time I'd get in and it was off for a while. I've noticed it for about two weeks but I thought it was maybe an empty protein shaker I left in the back. It was not.

I took it in today after noticing water in the front passenger footwell. It soaked the carpet and the floormat and was causing the smell. Turns out it was an issue with the sunroof drain.

So fast forward a few hours, I get a call from my service advisor asking if I had ever been in an accident. I said I was hit in the rear driver side by someone who fled and had just that part of the bumper fixed back in August 2012. I had never had damage or work done on the front or the passenger side at all. She proceeds to tell me that there was overspray in the drain for the sunroof, blocking it, and that there was evidence of work done. I have NEVER had work done to the front or the right side of the car, only the rear left portion of the bumper. That was over 20 months ago.

So I'm thinking, hmm I had my car in to BMW back on May 13th, and they did a bunch of recall service including the rust protection, drain grommets, and a tire replacement. Kept my car 4 days. That's about when I noticed the smell, a few days later. So I'm thinking they did something and tried to cover it up.

They are not charging me for the fix (which according to them was to remove the overspray from the drain).

This whole thing feels fishy to me.

My coworker thinks that it's more likely they damaged my car in shipment and had it repaired.

I don't know. What do you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Definitely weird but I also think that 4 days isn't long enough for them to take care of your service, damage, and repair the car. Just my opinion. Sometimes things are coincidence with the time frame. At this point all you can do is let them fix it and have peace with it. You'll never know.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

There was a recall for waterdrain issues for F30s a while back.
if you didnt get that done yet then that is most likely the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
There was a recall for waterdrain issues for F30s a while back.
if you didnt get that done yet then that is most likely the issue.
This. But surely the dealer would have automatically done that/picked it up on their system. I know mine did.
Appreciate 0