F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Washer fluid low warning on Cold Morning
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #23
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Try OKQ8īs mix, thatīs what Iīve been using since day 1.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Alright will do - thanks! Should be interesting as our cars should (in theory) have exactly the same parts. When was your car produced?
      12-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Alright will do - thanks! Should be interesting as our cars should (in theory) have exactly the same parts. When was your car produced?
Np, if it doesnīt work then I donīt know why I donīt have any problems (yet, perhaps ). Mine was one of the first F31īs so it was finished in the factory at september 17.

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #26
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I use rain-X deicer pre mix windshield washer and have no problem with my sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
I ran out of fluid today, and switched to OKQ8's mix. Lo and behold, the problem has vanished. At least for now. Will be interesting to see if it stays gone when the temperature dips again.

Thanks!
      12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #28
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Well, ten minutes ago it happened to me aswell hahaha jinxed myself

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
I ran out of fluid today, and switched to OKQ8's mix. Lo and behold, the problem has vanished. At least for now. Will be interesting to see if it stays gone when the temperature dips again.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, ten minutes ago it happened to me aswell hahaha jinxed myself
Really...? So much for the OKQ8 mix.
My father's got a 328 F30 and he's not had any trouble. He uses Biltema's concentrated stuff mixed with 2/3rds of regular tap water. Will probably try that next if this doesn't work out.
The headlights are busted now anyway, so the warning is the least of my troubles... :s
      12-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Really...? So much for the OKQ8 mix.
My father's got a 328 F30 and he's not had any trouble. He uses Biltema's concentrated stuff mixed with 2/3rds of regular tap water. Will probably try that next if this doesn't work out.
The headlights are busted now anyway, so the warning is the least of my troubles... :s
hmm, when I started the car this morning (sat in garage all night) the warning was gone it was my first faulty warning ever, cause I had just filled it up after a correct warning. I did it outside and as I did it it got topped up a bit too much so there was liquid up to the edge, it even splashed a bit when I tried to shut it. Had my wife in the car so I told her to spray a little so that the level would go down a bit. Engine was shut off the whole time. Topped up a bit more and honestly I had too much in it again but I let it be. After that I started it and drove off, I really canīt remeber when the warning came up but it was a 5 minute drive home and somewhere halfway my wife asked what that triangle was (I didnt even see it, dont think a bigger warning even came up :s). Checked it in the Status-page and bam! there it was....

It was just around 0 C outside, I topped up too much and engine was shut off, ignition on, as I did it. Donīt know but if it happened again I would try different things while filling it up, engine on/off, ignition off/on combined with topping up to the edge or just less etc.. inside outside, different temps etc..

Well see what happens when I drive home from work later today

And whatīs with your headlights being busted?

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #32
Sprocket
Private
Rep

I don't think it is caused by how or when you refill, but rather the sensor appears to be extremely sensitive. It is likely not well suited to measuring the type of fluids we have up here. If the sensor is measuring conductivity to determine if there's fluid in the container or not, it is likely being spoofed by the fluid being less conductive due to the addition of anti-freeze.
Just a theory.

Quote:
And whatīs with your headlights being busted?
Noticed it yesterday when it started to get dark: The control system for the Xenon level and spread is not working. It is illuminating 5-6 meters in front of the vehicle so it's totally useless on non-lit roads.

I'm currently fencing with the dealer to get this sorted quickly. it's the 4th issue I have had in a month, so I am not quite happy (understatement). It's a fantastic car, but I am having bad luck and the dealership is frankly a nightmare to deal with...
      12-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #33
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it is caused by how or when you refill, but rather the sensor appears to be extremely sensitive. It is likely not well suited to measuring the type of fluids we have up here. If the sensor is measuring conductivity to determine if there's fluid in the container or not, it is likely being spoofed by the fluid being less conductive due to the addition of anti-freeze.
Just a theory.

Noticed it yesterday when it started to get dark: The control system for the Xenon level and spread is not working. It is illuminating 5-6 meters in front of the vehicle so it's totally useless on non-lit roads.

I'm currently fencing with the dealer to get this sorted quickly. it's the 4th issue I have had in a month, so I am not quite happy (understatement). It's a fantastic car, but I am having bad luck and the dealership is frankly a nightmare to deal with...
Yeah the conductivity read is what Iīve been sayin as well but Iīve been using the same mix and it shouldnt differ in means of conductivity at all, thatīs why I kind of ruled it out when it happened to me :s

U got the adaptive headlights and all that? See, that was the only reason I stayed away from too much tech gadgets when I specced my car, cause Iīm goin for a long term ownership and donīt want too much hassle during that period. Gadgets that I could live without were dissed, but I took a "risk" with the adaptive M and ACC.. and panorama the adaptive headlights felt too risky cause if they start to fail u got no light, and being designed and working the way they do it is like asking for trouble. Too delicate and too finely tuned for my taste, ON/OFF is better

Donīt get me wrong, I like new tech and had I really wanted them I wouldnīt have cared but I didnīt feel the need for them as much as I did for the all the other tech I chose. Wouldnīt trade the adaptive M and ACC for anything (but a malfunctioning ACC could really end bad haha :P)

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #34
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Yep, I got the Xenons with adaptive headlights and high beam assistance. I just had to have them after testing my fathers F30 in the dark. I think they are one of the best features of the car. Necessary? No, not really. Extremely awesome in use? Yep.

But you do definitely have a point, and I had that discussion with my father yesterday. He too is going for a longer ownership and is starting to get a bit concerned about all the tech in the car. Like he put it: "What's this car going to cost to maintain in 4-5 years, it could be a small fortune.". Which BTW was the first thing a friend of mine (who works with cars) said when I told him I got the 8 speed sport auto: "Wow, that sounds very expensive in say...4-5 years." His experience was mostly from Audi who apparently have had lots of problems with their high-end transmissions.

Anyway,my car is a company car so I specced it like I wanted it, and I will likely trade it in 3 years. But despite that fact I am still concerned about the reliability as I do want the car to work as intended both for me and for any possible subsequent owners. If you sell a car with a certain function, it should perform as intended in all possible situations. I suspect mine broke when we had horrendous weather and really uneven road surfaces (sort of washboard of ice) last week.

So, we'll see. It's in the shop now and I got a loaner so with some luck this is the last problem...fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted about the fluid warning too, it's been gone since I changed it, but maybe it will be back...
      12-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #35
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I got the Xenons with adaptive headlights and high beam assistance. I just had to have them after testing my fathers F30 in the dark. I think they are one of the best features of the car. Necessary? No, not really. Extremely awesome in use? Yep.

But you do definitely have a point, and I had that discussion with my father yesterday. He too is going for a longer ownership and is starting to get a bit concerned about all the tech in the car. Like he put it: "What's this car going to cost to maintain in 4-5 years, it could be a small fortune.". Which BTW was the first thing a friend of mine (who works with cars) said when I told him I got the 8 speed sport auto: "Wow, that sounds very expensive in say...4-5 years." His experience was mostly from Audi who apparently have had lots of problems with their high-end transmissions.

Anyway,my car is a company car so I specced it like I wanted it, and I will likely trade it in 3 years. But despite that fact I am still concerned about the reliability as I do want the car to work as intended both for me and for any possible subsequent owners. If you sell a car with a certain function, it should perform as intended in all possible situations. I suspect mine broke when we had horrendous weather and really uneven road surfaces (sort of washboard of ice) last week.

So, we'll see. It's in the shop now and I got a loaner so with some luck this is the last problem...fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted about the fluid warning too, it's been gone since I changed it, but maybe it will be back...
I hear ya, judging from videos they really seem great (headlights) and I hope it works out for you. And yeah the 8 speed auto is my biggest fear but it was simply something I couldnīt be without and itīs definetely worth any future hassle and money

Good luck mate

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #36
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
I hear ya, judging from videos they really seem great (headlights) and I hope it works out for you. And yeah the 8 speed auto is my biggest fear but it was simply something I couldnīt be without and itīs definetely worth any future hassle and money

Good luck mate
The headlights are fixed.
A bolt had snapped in the suspension for the level sensor. No damage had been done to it (ie. ice or snow) and it sits quite protected in the engine bay, so the theory of the service department is material failure - simply a bad bolt.

On topic I haven't seen the fluid warning in two days now since switching. Does your warning still trigger..?
      12-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #37
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Good to hear it was as simple as that

The fluid warning never came back so it was probably just a fluke, OKQ8-mix still rules or what do youbsay

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
The headlights are fixed.
A bolt had snapped in the suspension for the level sensor. No damage had been done to it (ie. ice or snow) and it sits quite protected in the engine bay, so the theory of the service department is material failure - simply a bad bolt.

On topic I haven't seen the fluid warning in two days now since switching. Does your warning still trigger..?
It hasn't been cold enough for some days now. I don't understand how the service dudes can come to any conclusion about this when I only get the warning at below -15/-20 degrees C?! It is very hard to simulate the situation and I know it doesn't warn when it is just "cold" outside. Otherwise I would have gone crazy by now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #39
Sprocket
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
It hasn't been cold enough for some days now. I don't understand how the service dudes can come to any conclusion about this when I only get the warning at below -15/-20 degrees C?! It is very hard to simulate the situation and I know it doesn't warn when it is just "cold" outside. Otherwise I would have gone crazy by now.
Well, as far as I know they haven't come to any conclusion. The fluid mix theory is just that, a theory and partly backed up by my/our experience. It is likely a combination of factors including mix, temperature, sensor vendor..and/or something else.
      01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #40
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

Got the problem today, it was -11 Celcius in the underground parking outside my work (according to the temp gauge). Have to bring the car in soon (for a poorly installed trim piece to be replaced) so I'll let the service guys know.

If anyone finds out a fix would love to hear it. Knowing whether the fluid is full or not is vital when heading onto the highway in our winter weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #41
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I never had this problem until I filled up with Rain-X a couple days ago. Now I have the low washer fluid warning...oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #42
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
I never had this problem until I filled up with Rain-X a couple days ago. Now I have the low washer fluid warning...oh well.
Oh great. I'm in CLE as well, and use Rain-X too. Lemme know if it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #43
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

^ Will do.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #44
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I"m using OEM fluid, it was 15F this morning, had no issue. I think it's di$k if BMW is making us ONLY use their fluid!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0