F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fed up waiting for news on F31 Touring and big engine diesels
GetBMWParts

04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Fed up waiting for news on F31 Touring and big engine diesels

Need to change my 5 series Touring in September and was hoping we would now have news on 3 Touring including if x drive and bigger diesels would be available at launch. My dealer says car is finished but appears Marketing is holding back information. Come on BMW please pull your finger out and give your customers some information otherwise will be forced to look elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Need to change my 5 series Touring in September and was hoping we would now have news on 3 Touring including if x drive and bigger diesels would be available at launch. My dealer says car is finished but appears Marketing is holding back information. Come on BMW please pull your finger out and give your customers some information otherwise will be forced to look elsewhere.
Launching in June. xDrive should come from Fall and there will be a 30d option without a doubt. Remember the F30 just started in February so it is not marketing issue, it is supply chain and the E91 is still being built they stagger sedan, wagon, coupe, convertible.

AS an aside- why on earth do you need xDrive in the UK? Am I missing something- considering the country as a whole sees very limited white stuff.
      04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Winters seem to be getting colder in UK and when it snows everything stops as gritting of roads can be poor and we are only slowly catching on to the benefits of winter tyres. Lots of X5's and X3's on the roads. X drive 3 series will be an interesting car and unlike the 5 series BMW has engineered for right hand drive. Should help them capture some business from Audi.

No reason why BMW can't give some advanced information before June if car is to be available for September production?? Always amazes me how BMW keep their staff in the dark on product launches.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Winters seem to be getting colder in UK and when it snows everything stops as gritting of roads can be poor and we are only slowly catching on to the benefits of winter tyres. Lots of X5's and X3's on the roads. X drive 3 series will be an interesting car and unlike the 5 series BMW has engineered for right hand drive. Should help them capture some business from Audi.

No reason why BMW can't give some advanced information before June if car is to be available for September production?? Always amazes me how BMW keep their staff in the dark on product launches.
No brand does that- it would kill the value of cars still on lots and thus kill residuals earlier. Audi doesn't say oh by the way don't buy this car that we are building because in the fall we will have a new one!
      04-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

there are anyway very few customers who will buy "old" touring if there is new sedan already in showrooms. This gives pretty good hint that new touring is coming as well and it would be kind of unwise to buy old one (unless there is very good deal/big discount or you would buy entry level with manual). In this situation holding back information might result in lost sales to competition as nobody is willing to wait forever. If you give some information, then it might "help to wait".
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
For me, there is no competition for the F31. There is no C class wagon offered in the States, and Audi is dropping the Avant in favor of an "AllRoad" which is a simi SUV thing that only comes with an automatic... yuck.

I'll just wait for the F31. That way I can have 3 pedals, M Sport suspension and rear wheel drive!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

I'm anxiously waiting on F31 information as well. Here's hoping that M Sport is available at launch!

Since it was mentioned, 2013 Audi allroad order guides have been released. Good thing AoA dropped the regular A4 avant from the lineup or I'd be tempted to order one...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Where in the UK are you? If Scotland or somewhere hilly then I can understand the need for xDrive but everywhere else winter tyres are more than sufficient to keep you going through the harshest of winters. I had some on my RWD 118D last winter and had no problems; I was overtaking 4x4s on summer tyres without a care in the world as after all, 4 wheel drive won't help you stop or turn.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul
Quote:
Launching in June. xDrive should come from Fall and there will be a 30d option without a doubt. Remember the F30 just started in February so it is not marketing issue, it is supply chain and the E91 is still being built they stagger sedan, wagon, coupe, convertible.

AS an aside- why on earth do you need xDrive in the UK? Am I missing something- considering the country as a whole sees very limited white stuff.
The 30d may no longer be a straight 6 N57 though.
I bet it becomes an N47 4 pot. It may have more power as a jumped up 4 banger but it would be so sad to lose that sound and feel. The N57 has been named best production diesel in the world countless times, and it's not difficult to see why!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
elementrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: Aud S4

Any updates on the F31 X-Drive? Anxiously awaiting details.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
G_M_S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330D

F31 Engine details now up on BMW UK website and yes there is a 3.0l 6 cylinder engine available on the SE and MSport - 258 bhp, 560 Nm twin turbo delight. 0 to 62 in 5.6secs yet returning 55 mpg on the combined.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...calSpec&isPGA=
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_S
F31 Engine details now up on BMW UK website and yes there is a 3.0l 6 cylinder engine available on the SE and MSport - 258 bhp, 560 Nm twin turbo delight. 0 to 62 in 5.6secs yet returning 55 mpg on the combined.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...pec&isPGA=
But although it gets cracking CO2 g/km at 135, it has a large BIK at 21%! That means for me, petrol is the way forwards and the 328i and ActiveHybrid 3 will work out much cheaper. After over 18 years of driving diesel, I cannot see another diesel in my future until the ridiculous TAX is reduced! Shame, cos that'll be a bloody brilliant engine!! There should be a BIK reduction if it conforms to EU6 (which it currently doesn't - only EU5) so this could be an optional extra like the F10/F11 N57 motors. A £900 extra though to reduce NoX emissions and I'd rather spend that money on a HUD or top stereo or whatever...

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0