F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone 5 Cable
Studio RSR

07-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #23
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jparker82 View Post
You might need a software update. I can use functions with just the lightning cable.
How do I get a software update?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamaria View Post
The USB drive BMW sent you after you bought your car. Plug it in to your computer and follow the prompts.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
The USB drive BMW sent you after you bought your car. Plug it in to your computer and follow the prompts.
You're not the first person to mention this USB drive. I never got one - not a big deal, since I assume you can just use any USB drive to update the software. But damnit! It's the principle, I want my flash drive to BMW branded
      07-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
You're not the first person to mention this USB drive. I never got one - not a big deal, since I assume you can just use any USB drive to update the software. But damnit! It's the principle, I want my flash drive to BMW branded
Yea I have gotten 3 in the last year. The nice thing about them they are set to link you straight to BMW. Nice for updates. I've always gotten some sort of Gift from BMW after each car. Last one was an artist rendition of my AH3- and the USB.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Yea I have gotten 3 in the last year. The nice thing about them they are set to link you straight to BMW. Nice for updates. I've always gotten some sort of Gift from BMW after each car. Last one was an artist rendition of my AH3- and the USB.
I haven't gotten anything! It's been 2 months since I've purchased my car I got one package that says Thank you from BMW, and it was just a stinking benefits card.
      07-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Go to the page and put you VIN number
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html
      07-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #29
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by newzie View Post
Hey there I just picked up my 2013 F30 and I have an iPhone 5. I do not have BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth. I am able to use my standard iPhone cable in the USB port. It will charge the phone, allow me to search for artists, and select playlists with no problems. I do not need the Y cord to use my phone and music features.
Your iDrive is NBT.

NBT = built-in Combox

Combox = enhanced USB

Enhanced USB = Apple USB cable enabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
1) Your car does not have the hardware to support enhanced USB. No software update will give you what you want.

2) There will be no OEM iPhone 5 Y cable, just because there is no analog output on the iPhone 5. The Lighting to 31-pin connector adapter via the OEM Y cable is your only solution.

And again: the hardware to support enhanced USB (digital control and audio) is not present in your car.

Hopefully this will be enough to end this discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #31
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
1) Your car does not have the hardware to support enhanced USB. No software update will give you what you want.

2) There will be no OEM iPhone 5 Y cable, just because there is no analog output on the iPhone 5. The Lighting to 31-pin connector adapter via the OEM Y cable is your only solution.

And again: the hardware to support enhanced USB (digital control and audio) is not present in your car.

Hopefully this will be enough to end this discussion.
You need to chilllllllll. There will be an iphone5 cable as I have been told this directly by BMW! It has nothing to do with analog vs digital. Clearly it works for some not for others as we have established.

I have gone back to my dealership and made him sit with me and configure my phone and he admitted that iphone5 doesn't work. Both the dealer and the head of the parts department confirmed there is an iphone5 cable coming after I spat the dummy

We're all in different countries with different cars, they are never the same even as new. I'm just trying to find the best fit for my iPhone for music in my 3 series in Australia. This is getting way too serious...

Peace xx
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Let me be blunt: stop talking like you know what you are talking about.

You don't.

Let me also repeat what your own dealer told you:

Quote:
It accepts the phone to charge it via the lightning cable but I cannot choose playlists and songs through my centre media wheel. I can only get this functionality through the y cable and lightning cable adaptor. It's quite clunky, I have taken my car back to my dealer to get him to show me and he told me this is the only way until the y cable comes out in an iPhone 5 version.
The iPhone 5 does not have an analog output. Why is that important? The "Y" part of the Y cable is for the analog audio. For BMW to create an OEM Y cable then it must have the same digital to analog converter that is now available in the Lightning to 31-pin adapter. The difference will be that such D/A will be integrated in the OEM cable, and not a separate adapter. That's it.

In other words, the functionality that you have now with the OEM cable + Apple adapter will be exactly the same functionality that you will have with an iPhone 5 OEM Y adapter cable. Only if BMW really decides to create such a cable. I do not think that they will do it, but OK if they do.

This is the third time that this has been explained to you and you are determined to not get it. Your car is not equipped with the hardware to do what you want it to do. The same hardware that is available worldwide.

You are not really reading what has been posted in here. Out...

Quote:
You need to chilllllllll. There will be an iphone5 cable as I have been told this directly by BMW! It has nothing to do with analog vs digital. Clearly it works for some not for others as we have established.

I have gone back to my dealership and made him sit with me and configure my phone and he admitted that iphone5 doesn't work. Both the dealer and the head of the parts department confirmed there is an iphone5 cable coming after I spat the dummy

We're all in different countries with different cars, they are never the same even as new. I'm just trying to find the best fit for my iPhone for music in my 3 series in Australia. This is getting way too serious...

Peace xx
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:

You don't.

The iPhone 5 does not have an analog output. Why is that important? The "Y" part of the Y cable is for the analog audio. For BMW to create an OEM Y cable then it must have the same digital to analog converter that is now available in the Lightning to 31-pin adapter. The difference will be that such D/A will be integrated in the OEM cable, and not a separate adapter. That's it.

In other words, the functionality that you have now with the OEM cable + Apple adapter will be exactly the same functionality that you will have with an iPhone 5 OEM Y adapter cable. Only if BMW really decides to create such a cable. I do not think that they will do it, but OK if they do.

This is the third time that this has been explained to you and you are determined to not get it. Your car is not equipped with the hardware to do what you want it to do. The same hardware that is available worldwide.

Just because a new y BMW lighting cable would provide the same functionality as the old y cable with the 30 pin to lightning adapter, doesn't mean they won't make one. They sold plenty of 2012-2013 F30s to warrant this.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
Just because a new y BMW lighting cable would provide the same functionality as the old y cable with the 30 pin to lightning adapter, doesn't mean they won't make one. They sold plenty of 2012-2013 F30s to warrant this.
You are correct, and I considered that possibility...

Quote:
Only if BMW really decides to create such a cable. I do not think that they will do it, but OK if they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:

You don't.

Are you joking?! I know this!! I am simply asking when a y cable that fits an iphone 5 is available. I know I will have the same functionality that I have at present. At present, with the adaptor, it is clunky, sometimes falls out. I only want to know when this is being released... Dates. That's all I've ever asked for.

On a side note, no doubt Technic is going to pee his pants again, I've never received my USB either.

Technic, please go and unleash your inappropriate use of bold on another post. You aren't reading what's actually going on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Exactly!
But it really wouldn't change a thing other than removing the lighting to 30 pin adapter ... in fact I almost enjoy the 30 pin to lighting adapter. It gives me more length and mobility to move the iPhone around in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
But it really wouldn't change a thing other than removing the lighting to 30 pin adapter ... in fact I almost enjoy the 30 pin to lighting adapter. It gives me more length and mobility to move the iPhone around in the cabin.
Mine falls out alot... It is genuine too. Totes picking up what you are putting down re length though. Bit more wouldn't go astray.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

That's ok to change your story, dude...

Quote:
Are you joking?! I know this!! I am simply asking when a y cable that fits an iphone 5 is available. I know I will have the same functionality that I have at present. At present, with the adaptor, it is clunky, sometimes falls out. I only want to know when this is being released... Dates. That's all I've ever asked for.

On a side note, no doubt Technic is going to pee his pants again, I've never received my USB either.

Technic, please go and unleash your inappropriate use of bold on another post. You aren't reading what's actually going on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #40
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know when the new iPhone 5 cable is coming out? I am using a Y cable with a lightning cable adaptor at the moment. My dealership told me August but they didn't seem very convincing...
Technic. Please read my very first post. Get a life.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #41
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
I got nothing either!

However, I DID get 3 hand written thank you cards from my CA on 3 consecutive days for purchasing the vehicle. I would have rather gotten the free gifts.

That, along with several other items have given me proof that just a Technics says, sometimes the Dealerships are clueless.

I was told my car had ACC with automatic braking which was a major reason I purchased it. They even confirmed it as they showed me the features. Could never get it to work. Only 2 months later a different dealership said I didn't have it and its not available on the F30.

Last edited by Kabrich; 07-29-2013 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #42
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Technic. Please read my very first post. Get a life.
Do you talk to your children this way, mom?

I said it last week and I'll say it again: You need to listen to the experts in this forum (like Technic) who know what they're talking about instead of refusing to believe the truth. Your car isn't equipped to peel carrots; stop asking us when a carrot peeler will be made available.

Savvy?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #43
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
Do you talk to your children this way, mom?

I said it last week and I'll say it again: You need to listen to the experts in this forum (like Technic) who know what they're talking about instead of refusing to believe the truth. Your car isn't equipped to peel carrots; stop asking us when a carrot peeler will be made available.

Savvy?
+1

aussie needs to chill out there--you have people on this forum with MUCH more info/experience than you will likely ever have trying to help you out--might be wise to listen/read, instead of always trying to get into a conflict.

not sure, but IMO seems like you're the one that needs the "action"..not the others.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #44
vahiker99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
I haven't gotten anything! It's been 2 months since I've purchased my car I got one package that says Thank you from BMW, and it was just a stinking benefits card.
Exactly what I got from BMW, just a stinking benefits card. Even my dealer gave me nothing extra, other than a good price on the car.

Wonder how a select group gets the flash drives? Maybe BMW knows their cars will need a lot of updates, so they send flash drives to them.
Appreciate 0