F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What made you choose your line?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
To answer the original question....I wanted to get the panty line, but that line wasn't available.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I chose the Modern Line because I liked the turbine wheels the best. The interior was selected because I didn't want a black interior (too hot in TX) and I wanted wood trim. Thus, oyster leather and textured wood trim. I added only the Premium Sound Package and Xenon headlights. I chose Imperial Blue because it was the only color I liked.

As everyone notes, choices are severely limited by the Lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

The 28i wasn't available in Sport guise here in the UK as it is a "budget brand" and the Modern's interior is ghastly!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I actually like the lines. I don't like chrome and I love the interior of the sport line with the black and red. I say BMW know what they are doing when they created these lines.
With all due respect, "what they were doing" was to create a clever way to extract an extra $2,000 from almost every 3-series buyer without incurring any significant additional expense and without delivering any additional value, other than the 17" to 18" wheel upgrade! And to make matters worse, this has served to severely limit the options available to the buyer, causing most buyers to have to compromise from what they really want.

Don't get me wrong--I'm really glad that you were able to get car that you love within the confines of what the Sport Line offers, but for most of us, we're spending around $50K on a car and are unable to configure it exactly the way we want... Not to mention getting robbed for an extra $2K, just for the "privilege" of having access to the options we want!

Sorry for the rant... It's just that I've been a BMW enthusiast for nearly 20 years, I'm about to order an F30, and it's seriously annoying that I can't get exactly what I want for no reason other than a profit-boosting scheme.

Now, onto the weekend...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bone
Quote:
I actually like the lines. I don't like chrome and I love the interior of the sport line with the black and red. I say BMW know what they are doing when they created these lines.
With all due respect, "what they were doing" was to create a clever way to extract an extra $2,000 from almost every 3-series buyer without incurring any significant additional expense and without delivering any additional value, other than the 17" to 18" wheel upgrade! And to make matters worse, this has served to severely limit the options available to the buyer, causing most buyers to have to compromise from what they really want.

Don't get me wrong--I'm really glad that you were able to get car that you love within the confines of what the Sport Line offers, but for most of us, we're spending around $50K on a car and are unable to configure it exactly the way we want... Not to mention getting robbed for an extra $2K, just for the "privilege" of having access to the options we want!

Sorry for the rant... It's just that I've been a BMW enthusiast for nearly 20 years, I'm about to order an F30, and it's seriously annoying that I can't get exactly what I want for no reason other than a profit-boosting scheme.

Now, onto the weekend...
True. I was initially very frustrated with the "line" concept because I like wood trim in the interior with sport suspension. Now that I have my brushed aluminum with high gloss black and Everest grey leather, I'm actually pleased that I expanded my horizons, even if it was forced. Still not a fan of the restrictions imposed by the line concept, but it definitely worked out for me in the end!
      03-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #28
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tiberius
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bone
Quote:

Now, onto the weekend...
True. I was initially very frustrated with the "line" concept because I like wood trim in the interior with sport suspension. Now that I have my brushed aluminum with high gloss black and Everest grey leather, I'm actually pleased that I expanded my horizons, even if it was forced. Still not a fan of the restrictions imposed by the line concept, but it definitely worked out for me in the end!

Ha, ha. We should swap trims!!

Last edited by PrinceBarin; 03-09-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #29
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
What was it that made you choose your line?
The choice was between a luxury and a sport.. I liked the luxury most, my wife liked the sport better lol.

We ended up with the luxury (it's 'my' car after all lol), the reason I liked it better is several reasons. I like the beige interior a lot, same goes for the chrome and the 18 inch rims on the luxury. Also the fact that the mirrors would be black on the sports was a bit of a turn off. But, and I know many don't agree, I liked the suspension better than the sports, it was a lot more stiffer and I'm a bit over stiff suspension. The roads here are pretty bad, especially after some rain, and after driving several years in an X5 and an even more stiff M3 before that on these roads, I just want a nice smooth ride again

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
John Angelo
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line Sedan

I have glacier silver and went with luxury over sport because I had to have the saddle brown interior. Glacier silver on saddle brown with anthracite wood and satin chrome accents really pops. The lower dash on the F30 is also saddle brown, unlike the previous generation. I liked the body-colored mirrors and window trim as well. If you prefer a black car (and don't have to have saddle brown) I'd recommend the sport line.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #31
TEAShea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I wanted the sport seats, paddle shifters, firmer suspension, 18"'s --- so my sportline decision was easy
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #32
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Never mind; already answered
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

This is exactly where my problem is!

I like the sport line because of the rims and lowered ride height once I get the sports suspension but I DON'T like the limited interior choices.

I like the luxury line because of saddle brown interior. I dislike the rims on the luxury line but really want the saddle brown and the wood trim.

So now my debate is between the rims and lowered ride height of sport line vs the interior (saddle brown) of the luxury line... :

I initially decided to go for the sport line but then thought if I get the luxury line; all I'd have to do is buy the rims of my choice and install H&R springs...my luxury line BMW will look sporty then!

The real difference to me now is that with the sports line I will incur no cost once it gets delivered but with the luxury line I'll have to spend a few $$$ on rims and lowering springs...

Can anyone with suggestions?
      04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

I love how the sport line looked and drove! I'm partial to black interiors, so it was no problem for me. I can't wait! One week, 3 days....pulling my hair out.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
To answer the original question....I wanted to get the panty line, but that line wasn't available.
Hehe. The French wanted the Maginot Line, but the Germans found a way round it.

Anyway, I went for the Modern line. The luxury line was a tad more expensive and I wasn't too fussed about full leather (modern = cloth/ leather in the UK).

The Sports line looks much sportier but isn't actually any quicker and probably appeals to buyers who are younger than me.

I think the idea of lines is a good way to widen appeal, but they didn't execute the idea well enough. For example, only offering the Modern line with an oyster interior forced me to make an uncomfortable compromise (with the mineral white exterior I really like). Annoyingly, the Modern line comes in two interior colours in the USA...one of them being the colour I wanted.
      04-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
sport seats and 18" sport wheels

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #37
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
This is exactly where my problem is!

I like the sport line because of the rims and lowered ride height once I get the sports suspension but I DON'T like the limited interior choices.

I like the luxury line because of saddle brown interior. I dislike the rims on the luxury line but really want the saddle brown and the wood trim.

So now my debate is between the rims and lowered ride height of sport line vs the interior (saddle brown) of the luxury line... :

I initially decided to go for the sport line but then thought if I get the luxury line; all I'd have to do is buy the rims of my choice and install H&R springs...my luxury line BMW will look sporty then!

The real difference to me now is that with the sports line I will incur no cost once it gets delivered but with the luxury line I'll have to spend a few $$$ on rims and lowering springs...

Can anyone with suggestions?
Sound like you prefer a lighter colour interior. I personally love the anthracite roof liner but do you like it? this can be your deciding factor
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

I saw this thread reappear and thought "what idiot used chose instead of choose" and then realised it was me . Shame you can't edit thread titles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Hehe. The French wanted the Maginot Line, but the Germans found a way round it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #39
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bone View Post

Now, onto the weekend...
so what are you going to get colors/options on your F30?

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
There's things I like about the Sport line, and things I like about the Luxury line. I think the Modern line is pointless though (actually I think the whole idea of these lines is daft, but there we go).

On the Sport line, well, I guess I like the idea of the "sport" suspension. But as M sport suspension is an option on both, I don't really get what the difference is. Does anyone know?

What was it that made you choose your line?
I'm waiting for the F31 wagon/touring, but I'm afraid unless they have a different model lineup, there is no first choice. I'm not liking any of the interior colours in the lines with the 328i motor.

Here in the UK we can't have the 328i sedan in sport line. The luxury hasn't a trim option that I like, or could live with. I really would like a 328i sport line wagon with grey leather trim. Add key options like the adaptive suspension, sport auto, xenons and panoramic roof.

Wonder what Merc are offering?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin
Totally agree with all of the above. I wanted a hybrid of the Sport and Luxury lines (e.g. sports seats, sports suspension, non-wood interior, chromeline exterior, luxury 18rims).

We are lucky in the UK in that we can spec most stuff on the Luxury line so I was able to find a reasonable compromise. Still, it wasn't perfect and I would rather they dropped the lines and opened up all the options.

The US guys get a rougher deal here apparently, but then I gather the cars a cheaper! But that's for another thread!
You and I appear to be in a very similar situation! I wanted Sport Line originally but I found out the 328i is not available in Sport guise as it is a "budget" Line. So I looked to Modern and Luxury but then almost immediately ruled out the Modern Line because the interior had very strict limitations, all of which were ghastly!! Looked like somebody had consumed a vast amount of porridge and was then violently sick in a log cabin. That's my opinion though.
So, I was left with the Luxury Line and dived into the configurator. I still wasn't happy. I wanted the Fine Brushed Aluminium Trim, 397 18" mixed alloys, black exhaust tips, Sport Line kidney grille and Sport Line front bumper chrome inserts. Fairly buggered when I realised only wood trim was available. And no 397's. Ugh. Thankfully, the 398's were added soon afterwards and I liked them! So I've done the best I could and I like it. Just not what I originally had in my mind.

The Lines have been very restricting.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #42
John Angelo
BMW Aficionado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line Sedan

Maz335i, I had the exact same dilemma. I figured I spend a lot more time IN the car than looking at it so I went with the saddle brown. I found the OEM sport line wheels at EuroActive for $1,699/set. You can get the modern or luxury lines presumable through them as well. I've thought about it, but the luxury wheels have grown on me. I wouldn't be surprised if the modern line is phased out by 2014 due to popular, or rather unpopular, response.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #43
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

I don't like the lines thing either. I really don't like the wheels on the Luxury Line, don't like the interior of the Modern Line, and didn't want to pay the $6,000 upcharge for either. I like the Sport Line except I really dislike black interiors and didn't want summer only tires. That lead me to ordering a base and optioning it up.
      04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

My F30: 328i Sport Line

Went with Sport Line because of the sport auto (love the look of the shifter, and having paddles). Bonus was the coral red leather (would have preferred saddle brown, but I think I'll grow to love the red). Wasn't sold on the 18" Sport line wheels at first (preferred the luxury and modern wheels instead), the 18" Sport wheels look horrible in the configurator images, but much better in real life.

Overall, I'm happy with Sport. Coral red, sport seats, lower suspension, sport auto all sold it for me.
Appreciate 0