F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Will M Sport be limited to Sport Line or can build up a Base model too?
GetBMWParts

12-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Will M Sport be limited to Sport Line or can build up a Base model too?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Lines still look limiting to me. Who's talked to the dealers about this one? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Good Q... also interested.
      12-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
The M Sport package will be offered as its own trim package, just as it was on the E9x. As stated in the US Press release in October, the F30 will be offered in three lines, Sport, Luxury, and Modern, and the M Sport Package which will come in July 2012. It will not be based on one of the three lines although it will be similar to the Sport Line with blue accents in the interior instead of red but with it's own unique front and rear fascia and M Sport trim elements.

Have you looked at the thread about the M Sport Package?
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612947

Last edited by SD ///M4; 12-25-2011 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

All I've been looking at is an Msport actually ... and it seemed pretty clear that it was marketed as another "line" and not just an addition. For instance you cannot get a luxury line car with Msport.

At least that's how it's been discussed thus far because they haven't released the concrete info for the US - it's not even confirmed what color the gauges will be for instance.

Guess well just wait and see in a few months.
      12-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Yeah, maybe you guys are right and it's going to be a separate affair apart from the Lines. I read the news here and elsewhere and things seem a bit vague, although it's early still.

I'm thinking M Sport 335 might be the way to go, so long as you can build it yourself. The interior options on the Sport Line are quite lacking...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Agreed that in essence, M-Sport will be another line. It will come with it's own limitations on interior trim selections.

I am guessing only hexagonal aluminum trim will be offered.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Yup, you guys are right. M-Sport will be considered its own separate line like the Sport, Luxury and Modern lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
At least that's how it's been discussed thus far because they haven't released the concrete info for the US . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
Yeah, maybe you guys are right and it's going to be a separate affair apart from the Lines. I read the news here and elsewhere and things seem a bit vague, although it's early still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Agreed that in essence, M-Sport will be another line. It will come with it's own limitations on interior trim selections.
It doesn't matter what's "been discussed" or what you've read "here and there", here is the "concrete info for the U.S.", and it's not "vague". Here is the official Press Release, direct from BMW NA, released 2.5 months ago. I've even attached the full press release for you. Speculate no more.

From the BMW US Press release, dated 10/14/2011:
"In addition to the standard trim level, the new BMW 3 Series Sedan can now also be specified with any of three equipment lines or an M Sport Package. (p. 7)
. . .
M Sport package: The M Sport package brings the ultimate in sporting makeovers to the new BMW 3 Series. An all-new aerodynamic package for the exterior clearly sets cars specified with this package apart from the base model and the three lines. 18 and 19 -inch light-alloy wheels in hallmark M design, M Sport suspension, a black kidney grille and BMW Individual High-gloss Shadowline trim give the car that typical M look. The theme continues inside the car with sports seats boasting distinctive upholstery choices, trim elements with blue accent strips, an M Short-shifter (in models with manual gearbox), M door sill covers, an M driver’s footrest and the new M leather steering wheel. (p. 9)
. . .
For out-and-out enthusiasts, further features are available to enhance the dynamic driving qualities of the new BMW 3 Series and give them a distinctive visual dimension as well. The M Sport package, which will become available after launch, is designed for this very purpose and has been developed specifically for this model series. It includes the lowered M Sport suspension, featuring a 10 millimeter (0.4 in.) drop in ride height, firmer suspension and damping, and larger anti-roll bars. Also featured are 18 or 19-inch M alloy wheels. The package is completed by an M aerodynamics package featuring special body parts, and by chrome tailpipes, exclusive exterior paintwork and interior trim to match. An Adaptive M Sport suspension with electronically controlled damping is also optionally available for the new BMW 3 Series. Based on incoming information about body and wheel acceleration, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, vehicle speed and steering wheel position, an electronic control unit adapts the damper mapping to the road surface and driving situation. At the same time the driver can use the Driving Dynamics Control switch to vary the basic suspension characteristics between more comfortable or sportier settings. An 8-speed sports automatic transmission with faster shift times and sporty steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts is also available as an option. (p. 19)"
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW 2012 F30 3 Series Sedan BMW NA Press Release.pdf (215.0 KB, 157 views)

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
It doesn't matter what's "been discussed" or what you've read "here and there", here is the "concrete info for the U.S.", and it's not "vague".
Thanks man. So tell me, since there's no vague in there for ya:

Exterior and interior colors? Seats: color-coded piping and stitching? Dash and trim treatment? Display: Red tint like the Sport Line? Aside from cosmetics, you got the full list of tech/engineering specs that differentiate it from the rest of the Lines?

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks man. So tell me, since there's no vague in there for ya:

Exterior and interior colors? Seats: color-coded piping and stitching? Dash and trim treatment? Display: Red tint like the Sport Line? Aside from cosmetics, you got the full list of tech/engineering specs that differentiate it from the rest of the Lines?

Appreciate it!
It's already been mentioned and discussed in other threads. The exclusive color for the M Sport Package is Estoril Blue II. The other colors are probably subset of what's available for a regular F30 but that hasn't been released yet. The M Sport Package will have blue accents on the upholstery and blue dash trim. (Have you looked at any of the pictures of the M Sport Package that are on this forum and other forums?) There may be other interior color options but they haven't been released yet. I don't know why the display would be anything except red/orange because that's what BMW has been doing for decades, except for some M cars.

Remember, the F30 hasn't even been officially released in the US and the M Sport won't be officially be released until July 2012. There's no US online configurator yet so there's no way to know what's going to be available. So the 10/11 BMW US Press Release is the only thing that we officially know. If it's not in there then the info hasn't been released yet. Anything could change between now and release date. The info you want isn't "vague", it just hasn't been officially released yet. Patience grasshopper!

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep

Yeah, Master Po, thanks for all those "concrete" details. But we get it; there's nothing vague here...just not released yet. Like a blue interior banner stripe in a red exterior. LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, Master Po, thanks for all those "concrete" details. But we get it; there's nothing vague here...just not released yet. Like a blue interior banner stripe in a red exterior. LOL
Ronnie, I don't know why you're all hung about about not knowing "concrete details" about a package that isn't even going to be officially released for more than six months. And why does this make it "vague"? The information just isn't there, probably because it hasn't been finalized yet. What exactly do you want to be told? Do you want to be told something now just because you can't stand waiting and then find out that what you were told wasn't accurate or that it's changed? Why ask in a forum, why not just write to BMW and demand that they tell you? I don't get it.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Ronnie, I don't know why you're all hung about about not knowing "concrete details" about a package that isn't even going to be officially released for more than six months. And why does this make it "vague"? The information just isn't there, probably because it hasn't been finalized yet. What exactly do you want to be told? Do you want to be told something now just because you can't stand waiting and then find out that what you were told wasn't accurate or that it's changed? Why ask in a forum, why not just write to BMW and demand that they tell you? I don't get it.
Please clear up something for me if you know, is there a "sport pkg" and then a "M sport pkg"?

From what I recall reading, there will be an optional "sport pkg" that will include a sport suspension and performance tires, and I think sport seats. The sport pkg is an option only for the "sport line"?

Then, in July, there will be an optional "M sport" that has a "sportier" suspension calibration that will also be lower, along with different wheel choices from the regular sport pkg, all the visual M bits, AND an M sport steering wheel. Yes/no?

A full on M sport model may be too pricey for me.
That's why I'm more interested in a sport line with sport pkg.
Still, depending on the pricing, I'm really interested in the new 2.0 turbo engine. The sweet spot in pricing vs performance may be a 328i 2.0 turbo with M sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

RPM90, have you not looked at the ordering guide at all? http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1321578669

There is a Sport Line that includes sport suspension and sport seats. There is no Sport Package, per se, anymore. The M-Sport adjustable suspension is a $900 option with this line.

What comes in July is the M-Sport, which has a special M-Sport passive suspension and/or the adjustable one. It also comes with special body pieces. No one know yet what we will get in the US. On the F10 5-series, we do not get an option for the passive, only the adaptive.

I see you are posting in the M-Sport thread so you should know what the body changes look like.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
RPM90, have you not looked at the ordering guide at all? http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1321578669

There is a Sport Line that includes sport suspension and sport seats. There is no Sport Package, per se, anymore. The M-Sport adjustable suspension is a $900 option with this line.

What comes in July is the M-Sport, which has a special M-Sport passive suspension and/or the adjustable one. It also comes with special body pieces. No one know yet what we will get in the US. On the F10 5-series, we do not get an option for the passive, only the adaptive.

I see you are posting in the M-Sport thread so you should know what the body changes look like.
Thanks.

Yes, I just looked at the ordering guide, and it cleared up a lot of my questions.

What you wrote is true, there isn't a "sport pkg", but the sport line pretty much comes with what a sport pkg. would include, except for a better choice of tire sizes.
It's 225 all around for a 328i sport line.
Those are ok for a Camry, but not for a BMW sport sedan.
Appreciate 0