F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Cleaning msport steering wheel
proTUNING Freaks

03-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
visualexstasy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23' x3 M40i

Cleaning msport steering wheel

I tried fixing my BMW 4 series Msport steering wheel using lexol shampoo and conditioner and it doesnt seem to be cleaning the grime off my steering wheel. Is this stuff permanent or do I just need to use a different solution.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I use undiluted 303 all purpose cleaner on my steering wheel, put some on a microfiber, lots of pressure around the wheel, enough pressure to make a loud rubbing noise. After that I hit it with a another microfiber with just some water on it haven't had any issues doing that for two plus years, and it gets all the nasty dark grime out.

I don't think you want to put any conditioners on the wheel, you don't want anything in there that would make it slippery.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

That smooth leather is pretty fragile... I'd recommend having a detailer look at it in person to advise whether or not you should continue to attempt to clean it. It looks like due may be missing.
      03-15-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

The leather on the steering wheel is just as shit as there interior leather, all looks sweet but is shit.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #5
BimmerSI
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 xdrive30d, F10 520d, i3

I would say that on picture what you see is not grime but discoloration due to over buffing with MF or other brusher and too agresive cleaner.

Visualextasy, did you manage to resolve the issue? Last option in repaint.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Thats definitely worn out leather on the wheel.
      03-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

I cleaned my steering wheel, thinking it was grime, with soapy water and a MF towel. The spots got bigger and it turns out it's the dye wearing off.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 3
perryo91372.50
BAKKI18.50
      03-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

I will give you the real answer.

I bought my car with 38k miles and the steering wheel was fucking horrible. The previous owner definitely parked in the sun every single day and never cleaned it. The whole interior actually was nasty as fuk in little crevices and behind the paddles. I feel like he ate and didnt even clean his hands when driving. I wish I can meet him and ask wtf he was thinking, but anyways.The 12, 3, and 9 o clock positions were worn down nasty nasty.

So what did I do? Lucky my salesman was honest af and knew how to fix it.

They send their post-lease cars to a leather/wheel guy to get reconditioned. So he told me to go over there, tell them he sent me, and they will restore the wheel.

It only cost $40 when I feel like it should have costed more (my steering wheel is now basically new).

So I watched the process... the guy just masked EVERYTHING, buffed/sanded the leather portion of the wheel all the way down to bare. Then literally just re spray-painted it with black spray paint (He had a nice gun).

The first week it was still kind of coarse feeling but he said it would smooth out to like-new.

I was nervous, but he was right, after a while it literally felt/looked like a brand new wheel.

He recommended to maintain it to use the Wolfgang leather cleaner/conditioner and they are pricey but idgaf i love how this steering wheel is when brand new.

10k miles later and it's still as nice and matte as it was when he refinished it and I do have sweaty hands so it's not like I have an advantage to not affecting the wheel.

I do clean with water about once every two weeks. Then clean/condition it like 3 times a year.

So. Thats the real answer. Yes you can try cleaning it and see if it's just "dirt" But once it hits a certain point - like your wheel - they need to respray it.

Hopefully there's a good leather guy around you that can fix it. Sorry if I sound bitchy, it's just I've seen alot of posts where people say "It's just grime, just use a cleaner and condition it and you'll be fine" ; no, it gets to a point that the dye wears off.

Good luck. Here's a pic of mine after a year/11k miles. (The first picture has glare)

BrettKA7566.50
Soul_Glo13342.00
jmg18658.50
kaicpf0.00
      03-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post

I bought my car with 38k miles and the steering wheel was fucking horrible.

That's interesting. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did they take the wheel off while sanding/painting?

Do they seal it or anything on top of the paint/dye? Is it a paint or a leather dye?

$40 and your results have me tempted to see if there's anyone around me that I can take it to to be refinished.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 1
perryo91372.50
      03-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
BimmerSI
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 xdrive30d, F10 520d, i3

Quote:
[SIZE="3"]I will give you the real answer. [/SIZE]

I bought my car with 38k miles and the steering wheel was fucking horrible. The previous owner definitely parked in the sun every single day and never cleaned it. The whole interior actually was nasty as fuk in little crevices and behind the paddles. I feel like he ate and didnt even clean his hands when driving. I wish I can meet him and ask wtf he was thinking, but anyways.The 12, 3, and 9 o clock positions were worn down nasty nasty.

They send their post-lease cars to a leather/wheel guy to get reconditioned. So he told me to go over there, tell them he sent me, and they will restore the wheel.

It only cost $40 when I feel like it should have costed more (my steering wheel is now basically new).

So I watched the process... the guy just masked EVERYTHING, buffed/sanded the leather portion of the wheel all the way down to bare. Then literally just re spray-painted it with black spray paint (He had a nice gun).

The first week it was still kind of coarse feeling but he said it would smooth out to like-new.

I was nervous, but he was right, after a while it literally felt/looked like a brand new wheel.

He recommended to maintain it to use the Wolfgang leather cleaner/conditioner and they are pricey but idgaf i love how this steering wheel is when brand new.

10k miles later and it's still as nice and matte as it was when he refinished it and I do have sweaty hands so it's not like I have an advantage to not affecting the wheel.

I do clean with water about once every two weeks. Then clean/condition it like 3 times a year.

So. Thats the real answer. Yes you can try cleaning it and see if it's just "dirt" But once it hits a certain point - like your wheel - they need to respray it.

Hopefully there's a good leather guy around you that can fix it. Sorry if I sound bitchy, it's just I've seen alot of posts where people say "It's just grime, just use a cleaner and condition it and you'll be fine" ; no, it gets to a point that the dye wears off.

Good luck. Here's a pic of mine after a year/11k miles. (The first picture has glare)

That really looks great!!
Appreciate 1
perryo91372.50
      03-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
That's interesting. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did they take the wheel off while sanding/painting?

Do they seal it or anything on top of the paint/dye? Is it a paint or a leather dye?

$40 and your results have me tempted to see if there's anyone around me that I can take it to to be refinished.
Ask away! I'm always up to help people improve their car!

The wheel stayed on the car, all areas that werent leather were masked with masking tape, and the dash was covered with a blankey.

It was a little annoying that there was overspray on my windshield/two front windows/sunroof. But that was easily fixed with some elbow grease and windex! So no big deal!

Nope, he didnt seal anything. Just literally got his spray gun with I'm guessing leather paint. Sprayed the whole wheel all around even the back side, then wiped it down with the wolfgang cleaner, then used the wolfgang conditioner (I guess that can be considered a sealant?)

Yeah man definitely ask around... $40 seems like a wholesale price and I feel like I got lucky... but it took the guy 20 minutes? So it's pretty unreasonable if anyone charges too much for this. I'd probably have paid up to $100 if it was a reputable shop... way cheaper than buying a new steering wheel.
      03-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #12
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSI View Post
That really looks great!!
Thank you! I got real lucky that I found a guy to fix my steering wheel. It gross af when I bought the car.
      03-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
[SIZE="3"]I will give you the real answer. [/SIZE]

I prefer the one with the carbon insert... does look good.
      03-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #14
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCD View Post
Haha I didnt even notice thank you The carbon is more recent
      03-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #15
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Haha I didnt even notice thank you The carbon is more recent
I did the same upgrade... very nice!
      03-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
visualexstasy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23' x3 M40i

Is the color more faded or is that from the image? It look lighter than the original
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:41 PM   #17
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualexstasy View Post
Is the color more faded or is that from the image? It look lighter than the original
Just the picture brah
      04-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #18
volk50
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Ask away! I'm always up to help people improve their car!

The wheel stayed on the car, all areas that werent leather were masked with masking tape, and the dash was covered with a blankey.

It was a little annoying that there was overspray on my windshield/two front windows/sunroof. But that was easily fixed with some elbow grease and windex! So no big deal!

Nope, he didnt seal anything. Just literally got his spray gun with I'm guessing leather paint. Sprayed the whole wheel all around even the back side, then wiped it down with the wolfgang cleaner, then used the wolfgang conditioner (I guess that can be considered a sealant?)

Yeah man definitely ask around... $40 seems like a wholesale price and I feel like I got lucky... but it took the guy 20 minutes? So it's pretty unreasonable if anyone charges too much for this. I'd probably have paid up to $100 if it was a reputable shop... way cheaper than buying a new steering wheel.
I need to find someone in KC that does this. There's sun damage on the top of my steering wheel that drives me insane because it's all you see while driving.

There was one guy I found, but he wanted like $200, which seemed too high to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I prefer the F8x one.

It has leather instead of plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
I prefer the F8x one.

It has leather instead of plastic.
Good for you. I'm happy with mine.
      04-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Carbon Fiber stripes do not match Dashboard Trim in above pic as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #22
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Carbon Fiber stripes do not match Dashboard Trim in above pic as well.
Matches in my car with the M Performance interior. The reference I made has been taken out of context. He posted 2 photos not related to the insert. I was merely commenting that I preferred the CF over the OEM insert. Cheers.