F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d to M3....
ARMA SPEED

11-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

335d to M3....

So for those that don’t know my current steed is a reasonably loaded 335d with ACS power upgrade, ACS RS suspension, body bits and custom exhaust.

I still remember the first time I drove the M3 – in fact I drove it before most of the sales guys at Chandlers as just happened to turn up at 8.30 on Saturday it was registered!! I was overwhelmed by it then – it only had 25 miles so I could hardly push it but just felt on a different level to my car.

I had been hugely disappointed when I got my 335d – hated the suspension but loved the drivetrain. I took the leap into ACS world with the springs and well, we know what happened from there, don’t we?! Someone had to be the first!!

More power came next and then Michelin Pilot Super Sports. By now I wanted more and so RS kit was fitted. It really gives the car astonishing levels of control.

During all this time I had driven various M3/4 and couldn’t help but feel their dampers were lacking. Whilst I loved everything about them, I also couldn’t forget the huge depreciation hit my car had taken and the lack of discounts on the M3/4. Time to sit and wait.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I drove the ACS M4 with the RS setup. Holy crap!!! This is what the M3/4 should have always been – was utterly brilliant.

That got me thinking – would an M3 be feasible next year and was it worth shelling out more cash for over my car (which don’t get me wrong I love – it’s very well set up)?

I’d heard via the grapevine that the LCI M3 had had some changes on damping. Quick scout of BMW OEM revealed nothing had changed (although it now showed the competition package stuff). So I thought it was time to have a try.

Despite various repeated requests to my local Chandlers, as usual, nothing. So went back to Brighton (where my contact had moved from Hailsham and where we bought M235i Vert) and no problem – I could have a car whenever (he knows me well).

Due to work commitments my test drive had to be condensed down to today. I picked the car up around 10am this morning. The first two hours were just about playing with everything but one thing was clear – this wasn’t the car I drove a year ago (and actually about 4 months ago with ACS car without RS kit). I was very honest about fact I hated that ACS M4 without RS (was transformed after it). This car felt totally different.

Met up with wife (as easier if she’s on board), gave her a 5 mins instruction guide on modes and off she went. Came back 20 mins later giggling.

I then did trip to office in easy mode just going with traffic to get an idea of day to day. Car was easy, though rear tyre noise through car is greater than F30. You don’t really notice anything until you boot it and revs hit above 4k. 40 miles bumbling along gave me 29.5mpg. Okay, you don’t buy this car for MPG but today has shocked me – it gobbles a lot less fuel that our M235i Vert.

So to go over things –

Engine – it’s torquey enough to please a diesel driver. M235i drives me mad as needs revs to compete with my car. M3 you can drive along at under 2k and it’s not fussed at all. It doesn’t pull at those revs like my car (and you wouldn’t expect it to) but it’s still impressive. Power wise, it’s enough. Today was slippery and it was enough.

Traction – the biggie!! There’s no beating around the bush here. If you want to win the traffic light GP, have a tuned 335d – it WILL win every time. The M3 was struggling at 70mph to get full power down, let alone 0mph. But treat the car with respect and you’ll be surprised at how much traction you can get. The TC in normal mode is very cautious but that’s great for overtaking in dubious conditions. It's also great to know that STMBO can feel like a hero with me safe in knowledge she can't harm herself. Just short shift and let the torque accelerate you at what is still a very impressive rate. Turn it off and it opens up another world that I love where you actually have to modulate the throttle rather than mashing things but you're rewarded with better progress without the systems cutting things.

Suspension – I’m sorry but BMW have retuned those dampers. This is a very different car to old M3/4’s. That wallowy feeling in Efficient has been hugely reduced. Sport no longer feels like a massive compromise exhibiting vertical chop like before. It’s not as good as the ACS RS kit when pressing on but upside is a docile car when you want it.

Brakes – in a different league to my car in terms of feel. I am still trying to work out whether carbons are worth another £100 a month. Reality is for most the standard brakes are brilliant.

Steering – I love the solidity of the steering in feel. I wonder why BMW have to make it so stiff in Sport and Sport +. For me Comfort the whole time.

Modes – I love the fact you can change the character of the car at the press of a button. I set M1 to chilled everything and M2 to something a bit more interesting. I love the fact that the HUD changes as well.

Noise – this is a biggie. Sorry but I wouldn’t change it. Efficient mode is great and quiet. No drone. Sport + just makes me laugh. Locals to me will know the tunnel at Lewes. Just giggled. I can’t see any reason to want something more to be honest. Inside it's fine - have never had a problem with it.

Looks – just meltingly gorgeous. I followed the wife in the Disco on way back from school run and it just looks sooooooo good. Stopped at petrol station to bung in some more V Power before returning and just couldn't help looking at it..... Trying to work out colour combo now.

Interior – that carbon fibre is fab. Seats actually felt harder in base than my car but were comfortable. Love the Merino leather. Love the instruments – they are different enough to feel special. Full leather no brainer.

So I think that covers everything. So what happened? I’ve ended up ordering one for delivery in March. I have done a VERY good deal – just have to keep mileage down on my car.

How did I feel when I got in my car to drive home? Actually a huge amount of respect. My annual mileage has dropped hugely – if it hadn’t, I’d have ordered another 335d (with leather dash and individual). Blatability on my car at low speeds is frankly extraordinary and the M3 can’t touch it. Onto the A27 and again, foot flat down and my car just shoots to horizon. But you know, even with dealing with traction, the M3 just would leave it. Question for some I suppose would be, is that just too fast - I could understand that predicament.

Is the 335d enough for most? Sure, it's beyond comprehension how good my car is at everything. But as I parked up in that M3, I knew I’d just made my decision. It has the ability to get on with day to day stuff but still deliver a giggle. My car demands respect (and gets it) but at no point do I giggle and I suppose that's the difference.

So car is ordered for March next year. At the moment it’s Mineral White with Full Black Merino but I’m still working out if worth going for San Merino Blue.

Oh and overall for the day – 25.1mpg which I think is frankly astonishing.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 4
      11-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I think you have an M itch you need to scratch, so you won't regret the decision!

And as for the 'is it worth almost double the cost of a 340i' question, well if only the M will scratch your itch, then yes!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Great write up!

Sounds like a great car. I also have the same "itch". Enjoy picking your options!

Very jealous!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I think you have an M itch you need to scratch, so you won't regret the decision!

And as for the 'is it worth almost double the cost of a 340i' question, well if only the M will scratch your itch, then yes!
Thing is it isn't double the money. Yes, it's more but once I'd added the same options on the 340i, even after 10k discount it wasn't 1/2 I promise you.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Excellent write up. Sounds a great car. I wonder how many will follow your lead (again)?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Good write up and congrats on the order.. I must admit I feel like I could only replace my 335d with something with an M on the front now. And they don't do an M350d yet!

As it happens I've just started on the road of modifying the 335d to tweak it to my taste, which means it's staying, but you've made me want to test drive an LCI M3 now. If they did it in an estate... oh wait, got rid of the buggy and no dog... do I even need one??? hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Excellent write up. Sounds a great car. I wonder how many will follow your lead (again)?
I don't think it's for everyone and fact is the 335d (especially after mods) is possibly THE best option out there. If financially it had been a huge jump, I'd not have moved but deals are starting to come.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great news Guy and no surprise there, just a question of when! Well done on the feedback, good write up.

M car specific colour I think it needs to be. SS2 or SO??

Exciting times and long wait till march now

Think I'll hop on the X Drive M5 train next in a few years time.
      11-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Thing is it isn't double the money. Yes, it's more but once I'd added the same options on the 340i, even after 10k discount it wasn't 1/2 I promise you.
Yea I know, I said almost, it must be 60-70% more per month?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yea I know, I said almost, it must be 60-70% more per month?
Paying £80 more pm than I am on 335d. But as said, I got a GOOD deal
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
Great news Guy and no surprise there, just a question of when! Well done on the feedback, good write up.

We're on Mineral White at the moment with the order with full black merino. I'm still on fence with San Merino Individual. We've already got a red car so not going to do SO. SS2 is Silverstone? Too everyday.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:

You guys should maybe just have arranged a swap!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
We're on Mineral White at the moment with the order with full black merino. I'm still on fence with San Merino Individual. We've already got a red car so not going to do SO. SS2 is Silverstone? Too everyday.
I think you should go White or blue, so that I can get Silverstone when I get mine!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:

You guys should maybe just have arranged a swap!
Lol you might be right, mine was an M4 though. Sticking with X drive / AWD from here on in.
      11-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Whaaaaat!? How the?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Great write-up Guy and congrats on the order.

Interesting you think this car was so different and it's not even an LCI? (Am sure you said on the other thread it's a pre-LCI)? Will the LCI be even better do you think?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #17
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

at nearly a grand a month for 8k miles id expect 4 bedrooms and a garden lol
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
at nearly a grand a month for 8k miles id expect 4 bedrooms and a garden lol
Sorry but don't know what you're talking about
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Whaaaaat!? How the?
This?? Come on. What you putting down & what's the monthlies? I looked when the first came out and granted, there were no deals about & it was double the M135 figures.

PM me if you like. I'm interested again. Oh & blue for me I think. Lovely.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Sorry but don't know what you're talking about
2k down and 48 months the payments are about £950 with about 10k of options.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Well played and great write up.

Colours the hard choice, white and carbon fibre is a good mix,

Y Marina Blue seems to be default M3 colour.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #22
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
2k down and 48 months the payments are about £950 with about 10k of options.
Says who?
Appreciate 0