F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Springs Install DIY?
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
pxlmxr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

H&R Springs Install DIY?

I'm wondering if anyone has personally replaced the springs on their f30?

I've done this before on other cars, and am considering installing a set of H&R sport springs in my 2012 335i at home- anything special I should know or is it just a standard spring swap?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlmxr View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has personally replaced the springs on their f30?

I've done this before on other cars, and am considering installing a set of H&R sport springs in my 2012 335i at home- anything special I should know or is it just a standard spring swap?
Very curious as to this question as well... i like to do my own wrenching if it's not a major pain... also, would the install procedure need to be any different if you chose the Adaptive M Suspension?? I'm assuming no, but jus wanted to throw that out there
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

I raised mine up earlier today after ordering the springs and it seems close enough to the e46 so maybe a couple of hours without air tools. I will see if I can take some pictures when I do it this weekend but I think the e46 is pretty well documented out there. I might get lazy and get the shop next door to do the front springs though or get the free diy loaner spring compressor from autozone. I have the lesser dropped of the two H&R springs so maybe I can get away without an alignment right away but probably not.

the adaptive suspension just has extra plugs, similar to porsche setups.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
I raised mine up earlier today after ordering the springs and it seems close enough to the e46 so maybe a couple of hours without air tools. I will see if I can take some pictures when I do it this weekend but I think the e46 is pretty well documented out there. I might get lazy and get the shop next door to do the front springs though or get the free diy loaner spring compressor from autozone. I have the lesser dropped of the two H&R springs so maybe I can get away without an alignment right away but probably not.

the adaptive suspension just has extra plugs, similar to porsche setups.
I've read a few other posts of folks getting the H&R Sports (not super-sports) and not needing an alignment... i would get it done just because i don't want to wear out the tires unevenly, but that's just me... if you could jot down any necessary tools and snap a few pics of major bolts/components that need to be dealt with during the procedure that would be most helpful! Before and After shots are always bonus too
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPS didn't have my buildings suite number apparently to deliver the springs today.... oh well, hopefully tire rack can get to my customer service request tonight before ups tries again tomorrow

The stock alignment isn't very good for my taste to begin with but I am not really looking to have a set of tires last more than a few months anyway. both ends of the car have too much toe-in and lack camber so I will probably have to look for options soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not exactly sure when they did this, but bmw changed the rear shock mounting screws to external torx on the top and bottom and I don't know where to buy them today. Hopefully I can get to this again sometime during the week after the sockets arrive and get some pictures of an actual f30 up.

The rest is exactly the same as an e46, this guide is all you need for the front. http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/8...replacing-oem/

The rears you just need the e-torx sockets to unbolt one end of the shock, unhook the sway bar's top link (18mm) and lower the control arm to remove the spring. reinstall the spring and use a jack to raise the control arm to tighten the shock and sway bar mount.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
I've read a few other posts of folks getting the H&R Sports (not super-sports) and not needing an alignment... i would get it done just because i don't want to wear out the tires unevenly, but that's just me... if you could jot down any necessary tools and snap a few pics of major bolts/components that need to be dealt with during the procedure that would be most helpful! Before and After shots are always bonus too
I got the H&R Sports and 3 weeks later, I got an alignment from BMW. Toe and camber was all out of wack. I would get alignment.

Strangely, the camber on my rear wheels went more positive camber after the drop. But whatever, now all my settings are within factory tolerances.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
pxlmxr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure when they did this, but bmw changed the rear shock mounting screws to external torx on the top and bottom and I don't know where to buy them today. Hopefully I can get to this again sometime during the week after the sockets arrive and get some pictures of an actual f30 up.

The rest is exactly the same as an e46, this guide is all you need for the front. http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/8...replacing-oem/

The rears you just need the e-torx sockets to unbolt one end of the shock, unhook the sway bar's top link (18mm) and lower the control arm to remove the spring. reinstall the spring and use a jack to raise the control arm to tighten the shock and sway bar mount.
Thanks! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Will probably order my springs in a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

doing a DIY of this asap, I just haven't had any time to get the car on a lift during the weekend! Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have it posted.

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
cardnation
Güten Täg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91 E30 & 13 F30

Any luck with that DIY writeup?

1991 E30 318iC 5MT M20B25 swapped Vert Black - gone
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
Any luck with that DIY writeup?
Really, this link is all you need plus an E-14 external torx socket for the tower brace that the e46 didn't have. the rest is exactly like this, I did the install at the track in about 40 minutes with 1 helper.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/8...replacing-oem/
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Really, this link is all you need plus an E-14 external torx socket for the tower brace that the e46 didn't have. the rest is exactly like this, I did the install at the track in about 40 minutes with 1 helper.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/8...replacing-oem/
I can confirm that you do NOT need the E-14 external torx socket for the strut tower. A regular 14mm socket will work. (Of course if you do have a torx socket set, use it)

Not really the best DIY tutorial I've seen. There are a lot of E90 DIY tutorials that cover both the front and rears... and should be similar to the F30.

I'm gonna install some coilovers tomorrow. Taking out my H&Rs. I'll "try" to take some pics... but since I'm working alone, I can't promise anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I can confirm that you do NOT need the E-14 external torx socket for the strut tower. A regular 14mm socket will work. (Of course if you do have a torx socket set, use it)

Not really the best DIY tutorial I've seen. There are a lot of E90 DIY tutorials that cover both the front and rears... and should be similar to the F30.

I'm gonna install some coilovers tomorrow. Taking out my H&Rs. I'll "try" to take some pics... but since I'm working alone, I can't promise anything.
Which coilovers?

BC Racing?
      12-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Are the tools on the e46 diy the same? Up to 21mm sockets?
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0