F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > New car ... detailing help needed
GetBMWParts

08-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
movefast
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport

New car ... detailing help needed

Hello all

I picked up my F30 M Sport about 3 weeks ago now and I would like to detail it for the first time ... Is this too early to be applying waxes and sealants?

There seems to be an overload of information online and the 10000's of products people suggest to use ... its a bit confusing.

The paint is black sapphire metallic ... There is a chemical guys warehouse next to my house so Im biased for them and to save some money (apparently a good company anyway).

Here goes ... all applied and removed by hand

- Wash (Dawn to remove everything)
- Claybar
- Wash (meguairs gold class)
- Polish (Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish) - Is this necessary?
- Sealant ( Chemical Guys JetSeal)
- Wax (Chemical Guys Pete's 53 carnauba paste wax ... OR ... Poorboys Natty Blue paste wax??)
- Rims (Chemical Guys Diablo Gel wheel and rim cleaner)

What am I missing here? Or is this over kill?

Also, should I wipe the car down with 50/50 alcohol / water between certain stages or is that not necessary?

Thanks everyone!!! Will post pictures of before and after!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by movefast View Post
Hello all

I picked up my F30 M Sport about 3 weeks ago now and I would like to detail it for the first time ... Is this too early to be applying waxes and sealants?

There seems to be an overload of information online and the 10000's of products people suggest to use ... its a bit confusing.

The paint is black sapphire metallic ... There is a chemical guys warehouse next to my house so Im biased for them and to save some money (apparently a good company anyway).

Here goes ... all applied and removed by hand

- Wash (Dawn to remove everything)
- Claybar
- Wash (meguairs gold class)
- Polish (Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish) - Is this necessary?
- Sealant ( Chemical Guys JetSeal)
- Wax (Chemical Guys Pete's 53 carnauba paste wax ... OR ... Poorboys Natty Blue paste wax??)
- Rims (Chemical Guys Diablo Gel wheel and rim cleaner)

What am I missing here? Or is this over kill?

Also, should I wipe the car down with 50/50 alcohol / water between certain stages or is that not necessary?

Thanks everyone!!! Will post pictures of before and after!!
No matter what you've heard, do not ever use dish soap to wash your car, EVER!

The Car wash you use "Meguair's is ok, but you really need a citrus wash to remove/strip all of the impurities. Your car is new, so there shouldn't be much going on in this area on the car.

I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash n Shine. The stronger the mix, the more it removes. You'll need to wash your car at least 3 times. Following this, yes, you can use a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and water if you wish.

Then it's time to clay (be sure to use a clay lube).

Yes, polish is necessary, but you may want a better one. I actually Meguair's Ultimate Polish. It isn't that great, but it's ok for a black car. Then wash the car again with a regular shampoo or a weak mix of Citrus.

Let the car dry for an hour or so covered, then it's time for Sealant then wax, or just one or the other. Remember to allow the sealant to cure for at least 8 hours before driving the car or getting it wet. The JetSeal should last you 6 months.

Will last longer if you use a Quick Detailer. I use Adams, but have used Chemical Guys Hybrid V07, which is pretty good, just wipe it in good for no streaks.

I also use Diablo Gel diluted with water for weekly cleanings, but Sonax Full Effect when things are bad. A bottle of gel usually lasts me about 3-4 months of weekly washes.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
movefast
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M Sport

rolltidef32 - thanks so much for the direction.

Wash the car 3x? wow. I will pick up some of the CG car wash for when my Meguairs runs out.

As for the polish - I don't want a harsh polish or anything as the car is brand new. Is there one that you would suggest I use in place of the Meguairs deep crystal I have?

Also, which of the waxes would you say is my best bet to put on top of the sealant from CG? Maybe the Butter Wet Wax is enough?

How many coats of wax should I put on top of the sealant? and how long to wait in between??

What do you recommend for a tire shine?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by movefast View Post
rolltidef32 - thanks so much for the direction.

Wash the car 3x? wow. I will pick up some of the CG car wash for when my Meguairs runs out.

As for the polish - I don't want a harsh polish or anything as the car is brand new. Is there one that you would suggest I use in place of the Meguairs deep crystal I have?

Also, which of the waxes would you say is my best bet to put on top of the sealant from CG? Maybe the Butter Wet Wax is enough?

How many coats of wax should I put on top of the sealant? and how long to wait in between??

What do you recommend for a tire shine?

Trying to track down some Cobra waffle weave towels in Canada but its a pain so far. I have an old Absorber chamois but that seems to get a bad rap now.

Thanks!!!
No problem, all great questions here.

Yep, 3 times using good microfiber towels with high pile. Must be sure that all of the dirt possible is removed from the paint, this helps the polish to go on smooth following claying. I don't use the Citrus for regular washes as it isn't PH neutral, meaning it will remove sealant and strip wax if the mix is too strong. I use Adams Car Shampoo for regular washes, but any shampoo is just fine.

Please visit a site for detailing. I and many others, use Autogeek.net. I've mentioned the site so much that they owe me money!

Polish can be tricky, but polishing by hand is much safer than an orbital even though many will flame me for saying that. I polished my car when it was only a month old this spring; no need for the machine. Your car is new also, so you want a minimal cut polish. The best is Menzerna IMHO, use the lightest one (forget the number/name), but Autogeek details (pun) all of their products and there is a forum that is very good with heavy participation.

There are several good waxes, just remember that you get what you pay for. A liquid wax is only ok, paste is much better. The Butter Wax is just fine for a new car, but if you really want to blow it out, try Wolfgang's Fusion. It's pricey as hell, but great and easy to apply and wipe off by hand. Pinnacle is good as well. Just as long as you stay away from big box store crap wax like Turtle, or whatever, you should be just fine on a black car. My two Bimmers are also Saphhire Black.

I use Wolfgang's Polymer Sealant 3.0.

Doesn't really make sense to do multi coats of wax if you use the good stuff, as it won't make it last any longer. Regular washing and the use of a quick detailer/spray wax is what will make your detailing work last beyond 6 months or survive a heavy winter. However, if you just want to do 2 coats, best to let the car sit for at least 4-6 hours in a garage between coats. Wax the windows as well or use Aquapel; will keep snow and ice from sticking as well as beads rain.

For tire shine, I actually don't like the wet look, these are usually oil based. With BMW brake dust, tire shine just slings and clings; not good. Go for a water based tire shine. I use Griot's Vinyl and Rubber dressing since it isn't greasy at all. I use it every other wash and just keep my tires clean with a brush and the car soap.

Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

If I were to start over, I'd find a good professional detailer and get a "new car prep" then Opti-Coat everything and Xpel the front of the car. Boom done for the next 5 or so years no need to wax or worry about rock chips just maintenance washes.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
ewizzle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e & '22 JLU 4xe

Looks like you've got the basics down. If you really want to continue to detail your car yourself, you might benefit from getting a dual-action (DA) polisher either from Porter Cable or Griot's Garage just to help speed things up. rolltidef32 likes to do it by hand, I've had good results with a DA - it's personal preference.

Give this video a watch, it's pretty much all that you've done already - and no, it's not overkill. I'll be doing it soon when I get my 435GC next month.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
Bkpk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi EB

I got my 2015 335 xi in july.
yes - newbie. How often do you guys perform the above mentioned steps on your car ?
- Citrus wash
- Clay
- polish and wash
- sealant and wax
      10-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkpk
I got my 2015 335 xi in july.
yes - newbie. How often do you guys perform the above mentioned steps on your car ?
- Citrus wash
- Clay
- polish and wash
- sealant and wax
If you use a polymer paint sealant, it lasts for about 6 months if you regularly wash your car and use a Quick Detailer spray following each wash.

Carnauba Wax lasts for 3-4 months.

A well kept car should only be polished once every 12 months or longer.

You alway clay before applying wax or sealant. However, your first step is to remove any current wax or sealant; the citrus wash in a heavier concentration will help with this step. I also use Griot's Paint Prep to strip the car.

Always apply sealant and/or wax following using a clay bar.

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Bkpk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
If you use a polymer paint sealant, it lasts for about 6 months if you regularly wash your car and use a Quick Detailer spray following each wash.

You alway clay before applying wax or sealant. However, your first step is to remove any current wax or sealant; the citrus wax in a heavier concentration will help with this step. I also use Griot's Paint Prep to strip the car.

Got it..
as my car is about 3 months old - i will wait another few months before giving this complete treatment.

Meanwhile - how do you guys wash/ take care of the car ?
      10-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkpk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

You alway clay before applying wax or sealant. However, your first step is to remove any current wax or sealant; the citrus wax in a heavier concentration will help with this step. I also use Griot's Paint Prep to strip the car.

Got it..
as my car is about 3 months old - i will wait another few months before giving this complete treatment.

Meanwhile - how do you guys wash/ take care of the car ?
Regular washing (weekly), using Adams Car Shampoo. Lots of good shampoos and washes out there. Just grab some by the gallon. Should last around 2 years of washing 2 cars.

I use Adams Quick Detailer after each wash. Have also used Chemical Guys Hybrid V07.

For wheels I use Chemical Guys Diablo Gel diluted 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Have Sonax Full Effect and Iron X for heavy issues, so not often.

Clean tires with whatever product you want. I just use a 3rd bucket with the wash soap. Dress the tires using Griot's long lasting dressing every other wash.

Most important thing is to do something and make sure to get bird poo and bugs off your paint immediately. I keep Quick Detailer and some microfiber towels in the trunk along with wet wipes.

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Most important thing is to do something and make sure to get bird poo and bugs off your paint immediately. I keep Quick Detailer and some microfiber towels in the trunk along with wet wipes.

THis!! Seriously..even if im super lazy to wash my car i will get rid of bird poo, tar, resin or sap immediately. It will eat through the paint if you leave it on there for more than a couple days. The full car wash ccan wait till the end of the week but it is important to get rid of the strong stuff asap.
Appreciate 1