F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 328i Luxury vs 2013 Euro 335 xDrive Luxury
proTUNING Freaks

02-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
loosenit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 328i Luxury

2012 328i Luxury vs 2013 Euro 335 xDrive Luxury

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My US Spec 2012 328i Luxury Line has some work being done on it in the shop and I picked up a rental for the week. They gave me a European version (I live in Germany) 2013 335 x-drive Luxury. I thought I would take a moment to compare and contrast some of the performance and features.

1. Engine - the 2014 335 has th I6 vs the 4-Cyl turbo in the 328i. The difference is noticeable in multiple areas. Obviously it has more power, and it does not have a turbo-lag. The increase in power and responsiveness is noticeable. There is a downside to it thought, there is a lot more vibration in the 335, it seems to be constantly rumbling, like a race horse waiting to get out of the gate. That is great for when you want to drive in a spirited way but it does reduce the luxury feel. I tried riding in Sport, Comfort, and Eco mode and the rumble is there all the time. Personally I prefer the more luxurious feel of 4-cyl N20 engine, I get enough responsiveness but also get a luxury feel. I'm not sure if this is all the engine or is partially due to the fact that the 335 is an xDrive.

2. idrive is upgraded. The functionality is the same, menus all in the same place and perform the same function but it is all more "glossy". There are better looking fonts and more graphics, looks just a bit more visually appealing. Even on the PDC, instead of a flat 2-dimensional representation of the car it shows a model of a 3er from a 3d perspective from the upper rear, no more function but looks a little jazier.

3. There is no button in the cab to unlock the trunk, you have to push the key fob. This is interesting, maybe a European thing?

4. The side mirrors are different than US spec cars. The mirrors are slightly rounded to allow a more panoramic view. I'm sure I would get use to it in time but at first glance it gives a blurry appearance, almost like being a little drunk. Benefit is that you get a wider field of view.

5. This model has the Lane Warning system and the Speed Limit info in the HUD, the speed limit info works perfectly, captures road work signs etc.

I know I'll get flamed a little for saying it but I find myself really put off by the increased road vibration from either I6 engine or X-Drive AWD suspension. I can see where there would be a lot of enthusiasm for someone who is more into the sport car side of BMW rather than the luxury side, personally I prefer a little bit of sport in my luxury car; glad I got the 328i, it is perfect for me.
Appreciate 0