F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Scheduled service
proTUNING Freaks

05-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
guytanatz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i X Drive

Scheduled service

This is my first car with an advanced computer that tells you when to service the car, I'm used to just following a printout on my old VW and doing whatever was recommended at that interval. Checking out the sticky above, it looks like only the oil change is done at 10k. Do you all bring your car in for "scheduled maintenance" to the dealership? Do they really only change the oil? Is it free? Does doing it yourself void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by guytanatz View Post
This is my first car with an advanced computer that tells you when to service the car, I'm used to just following a printout on my old VW and doing whatever was recommended at that interval. Checking out the sticky above, it looks like only the oil change is done at 10k. Do you all bring your car in for "scheduled maintenance" to the dealership? Do they really only change the oil? Is it free? Does doing it yourself void the warranty?
DIY is always ok. Be sure to make a note of when you do it. If you're still in the free maintenance (you may well not be if you bought used), why not have the dealer do the service (since you already essentially paid for it.)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
guytanatz
Private
Rep

I guess that's my question, are the scheduled maintenances any additional fee? Another reason I'm wary is because with my previous car I would get it back with fluids unchecked and other items omitted so I don't exactly trust the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
isloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Yes, I bring it in the bmw dealership since I am covered under the 4yr/50k which ever comes first. I know they perform services because I have a dashcam installed front and rear that's recording 24/7.

After the maintenance runs out, I plan on doing my own DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
guytanatz
Private
Rep

Ok, and do you go right at 10k / 20k etc or do you wait for the car to tell you?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

Quote:
Ok, and do you go right at 10k / 20k etc or do you wait for the car to tell you?
If your car is new you get at least 2 years of warranty and free service that covers everything that goes wrong.

If you bought a used car that is not under BMW warranty you will be charged for everything you tell them to do in the dealership. Simple as that.

It's only your choice if you will follow the recommended intervals for (not only) oil changes. It is your car and you are free to do whatever you like with it. Just keep in mind that you may cause a serious damage to the engine if you just ignore the change interval and drive for xy thousand miles after the recommended interval.

One more thing - BMW claims that transmission oil is for lifetime. It is not and you should change it at least every 60 000 miles (100 000km). Everything also depends on your driving style...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I guess that's my question, are the scheduled maintenances any additional fee?
What's covered is clearly spelled out in your maintenance agreement, which should have been explained to you when you took delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

I take it to the dealer when my car tells me. We did pay for oil changes for life (approx $700), seemed like an easy decision at the time. So far we have only used it once but it was as free as they claimed. I just need to keep the car for another 60,000 miles to make it a good investment :-)

I have the benefit of trusting my dealer though...
Appreciate 0