F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport suspension part numbers?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Sport suspension part numbers?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Can someone please check the part numbers for the springs used on the
328i Sport Line with standard sport suspension, and
335i Sport Line with standard sport suspension.

Also,
328i Msport w/adaptive sport, and
335i Msport w/adaptive sport.

Much appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

The part numbers are the same for both types of suspension for their respective models. In order to obtain the exact p/n one must know the options fitted to that particular car, but like for like both types of suspension have the same p/n.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The part numbers are the same for both types of suspension for their respective models. In order to obtain the exact p/n one must know the options fitted to that particular car, but like for like both types of suspension have the same p/n.
Clear that up a bit for me please.

Ok, you write for "...their respective models." So, is there a difference between 328i sport suspension vs 335i sport suspension?

That's curious, what options would make any difference to suspension part numbers, other than adding "adaptive sport suspension"?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Ok, you write for "...their respective models." So, is there a difference between 328i sport suspension vs 335i sport suspension?

That's curious, what options would make any difference to suspension part numbers, other than adding "adaptive sport suspension"?
As far as I know its all the same springs.

Sport line and M-Sport have the same suspension setup. Doesn't matter if its 328 or 335.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Of course the part numbers are different between 335i & 328i, after all 335i is heavier than 328i.
Examples of options: automatic gearbox, sunroof, electric seats etc etc. All sorts of options changes the weight of the car & hence some equipment combinations will have different springs.
As I said before, passive M-sport & adaptive M-sport have identical part numbers for the same spec combinations. In order to see the exact part number u'll need to access the spring table in BMWETK, which I think is not on realoem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Of course the part numbers are different between 335i & 328i, after all 335i is heavier than 328i.
Examples of options: automatic gearbox, sunroof, electric seats etc etc. All sorts of options changes the weight of the car & hence some equipment combinations will have different springs.
As I said before, passive M-sport & adaptive M-sport have identical part numbers for the same spec combinations. In order to see the exact part number u'll need to access the spring table in BMWETK, which I think is not on realoem.
That's the point of my questions.

I'm looking for exact part numbers to address an assertion made by some people, that the suspensions are identical.
If the part numbers are not the same, then it indicates that the spring rates are also not the same.
If the dampers numbers are not the same, then the damper tuning is not the same.

Why? Specifically, because we are dealing with different vehicle weights with different weight distribution front to rear.

I want to factually know that BMW did take weight differences into account between the 328i and 335i, when they tuned the suspensions.
The part numbers will tell us that.
If all part numbers are identical, then the parts are the SAME.
If the parts are not identical, then the parts are NOT the same.
There is a reason for why I asked the question as I did, and why I asked for clarification.

I agree, the weight of the cars is different, and thus it makes sense that BMW does not use the exact same suspension parts, namely spring rates and/or damper tuning.
From the source you're looking at, it does show that the 328i and 335i use different springs and/or dampers?
And, they are also using different spring rates based on options?
That's interesting.

What source are you using to get this information?

Last edited by RPM90; 06-30-2012 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
As far as I know its all the same springs.

Sport line and M-Sport have the same suspension setup. Doesn't matter if its 328 or 335.
That's the common wisdom, yes.
But, I'm trying to find out if we have read data to support that.
We know that the brakes are not the same between 328i and 335i.
Knowing part numbers, and better still spring rates, will give us real data to know exactly.

How do you know that both cars use the exact same springs and dampers, source?

Saying that both suspensions are the same would mean that the spring rates and damper tuning are identical for either 328i or 335i.
This may be true, that BMW is using the exact same springs and dampers in either 3.
Unless we know the exact part numbers, then that is just a good guess.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-30-2012 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the common wisdom, yes.
But, I'm trying to find out if we have read data to support that.
We know that the brakes are not the same between 328i and 335i.
Knowing part numbers, and better still spring rates, will give us real data to know exactly.

How do you know that both cars use the exact same springs and dampers, source?

Saying that both suspensions are the same would mean that the spring rates and damper tuning are identical for either 328i or 335i.
This may be true, that BMW is using the exact same springs and dampers in either 3.
Unless we know the exact part numbers, then that is just a good guess.
Someone should call the dealer parts dept and say that you would like a set of sport springs for a luxury line. See if they will give you the parts numbers.

I was just guessing that they were the same since the H&R's are the same for both 328i and 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree, the weight of the cars is different, and thus it makes sense that BMW does not use the exact same suspension parts, namely spring rates and/or damper tuning.
From the source you're looking at, it does show that the 328i and 335i use different springs and/or dampers?
And, they are also using different spring rates based on options?
That's interesting.

What source are you using to get this information?
That is exactly wht's going on, but the spring rates (i.e. part numbers) are same for passive M-sport & adaptive M-sport for a given spec combination.
The dampers have no distinction between spec combinations, i.e. only 3 different part numbers for 1 model (I haven't check whether there are any differences between 328i & 335i).
As I said before, I got the part numbers from the latest BMWETK dvd (6/2012).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is exactly wht's going on, but the spring rates (i.e. part numbers) are same for passive M-sport & adaptive M-sport for a given spec combination.
The dampers have no distinction between spec combinations, i.e. only 3 different part numbers for 1 model (I haven't check whether there are any differences between 328i & 335i).
As I said before, I got the part numbers from the latest BMWETK dvd (6/2012).
Thanks.

I'll keep looking for exact spec's. Should be more info as time goes on.

I'm trying to find any spring rate and/or damper tuning differences between the 328i and 335i.
They may very well be the exact same springs and dampers, even though there are overall vehicle weight and weight distribution differences.
I would think that BMW being who they, would account for that by using different springs and damper tuning.
But maybe the weight and distribution difference is significant enough to develop and manufacture 2 different sets.

At least we do know that sport line/M sport, and adaptive M have the same springs within a given 3 series (328i or 335i), per your findings.
As for dampers, sport line and Msport are the same, correct?
The adaptive uses different dampers, as they should since that is where the "adaptive" resides.

Now we need to find out if 328i springs and dampers are identical to the 335i.
Appreciate 0