F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d brakes
Studio RSR

05-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #23
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
The standard brakes might be able to activate ABS at say 60mph, but bigger brakes could do it at 80mph. This is obviously better and would stop the car quicker.
I'm not sure I agree with that....the co-efficient of friction between tyre and road is the same at 60 as it is at 80 or even 150 for that matter. Therefore the brake force required to exceed friction is the same regardless of speed.....unless you are talking about a car with downforce (road cars have lift at speed, so should in theory be even easier to lock the brakes at high speeds).

What can have a high speed braking effect, is the brakes overheating within one stopping event. Won't happen at 60, but could from high speeds like 120mph. This is also the issue on track, where the standard brakes don't have the ability to 'recover' in heat between corners, where a BBK should have more capacity to do so, and builds less heat in each braking event in the first place.
Not sure it's even as simple as any of us are trying to make it sound... whilst the level of friction may be the same it's clearly much easier to lock wheels up at a low speed than a high speed, all else being equal, if for no other reason than they're rotating much much faster so locking them is going to be incredibly difficult without an extremely powerful clamping force.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
The standard brakes might be able to activate ABS at say 60mph, but bigger brakes could do it at 80mph. This is obviously better and would stop the car quicker.
I'm not sure I agree with that....the co-efficient of friction between tyre and road is the same at 60 as it is at 80 or even 150 for that matter. Therefore the brake force required to exceed friction is the same regardless of speed.....unless you are talking about a car with downforce (road cars have lift at speed, so should in theory be even easier to lock the brakes at high speeds).

What can have a high speed braking effect, is the brakes overheating within one stopping event. Won't happen at 60, but could from high speeds like 120mph. This is also the issue on track, where the standard brakes don't have the ability to 'recover' in heat between corners, where a BBK should have more capacity to do so, and builds less heat in each braking event in the first place.
Coefficient of friction between tyre and road may be the same at higher speed, but the rotational force (torque) created is higher, so therefore requires a stronger stopping force to reduce the wheel rotation speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #25
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Coefficient of friction between tyre and road may be the same at higher speed, but the rotational force (torque) created is higher, so therefore requires a stronger stopping force to reduce the wheel rotation speed.
Sure, but in the context of stopping 1.7 tons of speeding metal, the extra inertial forces of 30-40Kg's of rotating mass is minimal. See how quick a bicycle wheel stops when spinning in free air, it's almost instant.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, but in the context of stopping 1.7 tons of speeding metal, the extra inertial forces of 30-40Kg's of rotating mass is minimal. See how quick a bicycle wheel stops when spinning in free air, it's almost instant.
Yes but there're not just stopping a moving object, they're also slowing down a spinning mass. The faster a mass spins, the higher it's effective weight, so the larger inertial force it requires to slow it.

Inertial force explained here by someone far more intelligent than me:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/...m#.WQc8I4HTXYU
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #27
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Possibly why CazuaLLUK doesn't think his retroftted M Sport brakes are any better than the originals!?
Day to day driving though, you would never know really.

I'd love to take this car somewhere to push its limits and then maybe yeah I would see a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #28
VR 46 Fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport 2016

Wow, thanks for all these comments, really learning lots. Perhaps I have not got used to the way the car behaves yet, I have only had it two or three weeks. My previous car a 123d I had for several years and I got to know exactly what it would do. I haven't started to drive the 330 hard yet, will be able to make a better judgement then.
Again, thanks for all the information, brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #29
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

There are a lot of forces and variables operating on the car and these are not constant as speed changes.

As speed increases the total energy transferred into the vehicle rises (non-linear; I'd guess by the square of the speed) so the braking system has a huge amount of work to do as speed increases. The components in a big brake system provide several benefits : larger diameter discs provide greater retardation for a fixed pad area and pressure; larger pad area and higher performance pad material increases the friction coefficient and ability to perform at higher temperatures; thicker ventilated discs and (with the StopTechs) swept internal vanes provide greater air through flow and cooling.

Tyre/road friction coefficient does not remain constant with speed, once the effect of weight-transference under braking is factored-in. Hence why BBKs are often sold for the front only.

I find the most noticeable improvements to be brake feel, greater progression and control due to the improved performance, and (so far, on the road) no fade. High performance pads in an MPerformance setup may perform very well, but I didn't go down that route.

I've found that better pads (EBC Yellow Stuff) provided incrementally improved performance. The StopTech BBK improves the performance by an order of magnitude.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:18 AM   #30
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Exactly, but more like 30mph if it's wet with standard brakes!

The other quality that you'd want from a braking system is "feel", so that you can tell when the wheels are going to start locking up.

The reality is 99% of drivers have no idea how to get the most out of their brakes and don't press the pedal nearly hard enough in an emergency braking situation. If you look at the telemetry of a pro racing driver and even someone with track day experience, in the same car, the braking force the pro puts trough the brakes is much higher (also much later too).
We can test this if you like, side by side on the A34 - you should be able to consistently pull up measurably shorter each time with your big brake kit over my standard setup. £20 quid says no difference

Reaction times would have to be ruled out though, so we'd need to choose some fixed points of reference
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:49 AM   #31
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Quote:

The other quality that you'd want from a braking system is "feel", so that you can tell when the wheels are going to start locking up.

The reality is 99% of drivers have no idea how to get the most out of their brakes and don't press the pedal nearly hard enough in an emergency braking situation. If you look at the telemetry of a pro racing driver and even someone with track day experience, in the same car, the braking force the pro puts trough the brakes is much higher (also much later too).
We can test this if you like, side by side on the A34 - you should be able to consistently pull up measurably shorter each time with your big brake kit over my standard setup. £20 quid says no difference

Reaction times would have to be ruled out though, so we'd need to choose some fixed points of reference
Anytime you like Ross. Having driven my car over 90k miles wth standard brakes, upgraded pads, and a BBK, I'm pretty sure about how much extra braking there is available to me now.

Depending on the speed at which we start braking too, the test will only be repeatable a few times too for yourself before it's a test of braking endurance.

The other factor is I'm now running PS4S tyres and I'm pretty they will up the level of braking force which can be applied.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anytime you like Ross. Having driven my car over 90k miles wth standard brakes, upgraded pads, and a BBK, I'm pretty sure about how much extra braking there is available to me now.

Depending on the speed at which we start braking too, the test will only be repeatable a few times too for yourself before it's a test of braking endurance.

The other factor is I'm now running PS4S tyres and I'm pretty they will up the level of braking force which can be applied.
I've just realised you may be claiming that your braking technique is better rather mine, rather than a bbk is not really any better, in which case feel free to have a drive of my car yourself to decide. I've no interest in trying to prove driving skills on the public road.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #33
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not interested in technique, we can all stand on a brake pedal with the same amount of force Purely interested in the shorter stopping distance a BBK gives you
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:12 AM   #34
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Not interested in technique, we can all stand on a brake pedal with the same amount of force Purely interested in the shorter stopping distance a BBK gives you
Well that's not true either, though I make no claim on my own braking technique, as I know it could be improved considerably on track days. Probably safer if you fancy taking my car out and trying the brakes for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #35
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, that's a generous offer but that wouldn't tell me how many metres shorter stopping distance at x/y/z given speed etc. Pedal feel doesn't equate to stopping distance
Appreciate 0