F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > MY 2017 Longest Delivery Time
Studio RSR

06-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

MY 2017 Longest Delivery Time

ok. I know this will sound ridiculous, but I really need an answer.

For a BMW that needs to be ordered this week, want to know which model WOULD TAKE THE LONGEST TIME TO BE DELIVERED.

I realize that this is opposite of what most want.

Kind of assume it might be 340 ordered from SA making a trip around the world, providing they are even doing MY 2017 SA orders yet.

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post

For a BMW that needs to be ordered this week, want to know which model WOULD TAKE THE LONGEST TIME TO BE DELIVERED.

Kind of assume it might be 340 ordered from SA making a trip around the world, providing they are even doing MY 2017 SA orders yet.

Suggestions?
It's not as clear cut as you make it seem.

Yes, a South African ('SA') build will take roughly 2-4 weeks longer to arrive compared to a German build, assuming you are taking delivery on the eastern half of the US. Can't speak much for other areas of the world. I haven't validated this myself for MY2017's, but generally SA builds don't start production until a month after German builds, so about mid August for the F30 3 series.

But your main factor here is production week. Any dealer could sell you a vehicle with a production week being between ~ 7/15 (roughly) or through a date in August. The date your vehicle enters production will drive how quickly you receive your vehicle. If you have a smart CA, they can snatch a production slot right before a vehicle is set to enter production, meaning your vehicle enters production within 1-2 weeks of you placing the order at the dealership. But production slots are based on supply/demand, and as the MY2017's are new, slots starting as early as mid July may already be spoken for. Ordering time for a 320 vs 330 vs 340 may just depend on dealer production slot allotment and supply/demand.

Generally German builds take 4-6 weeks from the time the vehicle enters production until it's ready for pickup at the dealer. You can figure out the math for the SA build based on the above.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich

Suggestions?
Why do you have to order this week?

Also doing performance center delivery will add 3 weeks.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I think the LONGEST time depends on the situation.. but I would guess you should get the car by 11/1
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

you are not required to take the dealers next available allocation.... sign the paper work but ask them to select an allocation out of a month or two later
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
you are not required to take the dealers next available allocation.... sign the paper work but ask them to select an allocation out of a month or two later
You can't cherry pick allocations. The allocation date depends on what the dealer is offering you, which depends on what they have available, and/or can trade with other dealers.

Keep in mind that different allocation dates will have different "prices". Dealers will be more likely to negotiate down on winter production dates, as the models aren't new anymore, and sales are slower this time of the year. On the contrary, MY17 allocations will be in demand as consumers want newer models, and dealers want to push MY16's off lots.

So, you can try and request when your vehicle goes into production, but that's no guarantee, and the pickier you are, the less control on selling price you may have.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
You can't cherry pick allocations. The allocation date depends on what the dealer is offering you, which depends on what they have available, and/or can trade with other dealers.

Keep in mind that different allocation dates will have different "prices". Dealers will be more likely to negotiate down on winter production dates, as the models aren't new anymore, and sales are slower this time of the year. On the contrary, MY17 allocations will be in demand as consumers want newer models, and dealers want to push MY16's off lots.

So, you can try and request when your vehicle goes into production, but that's no guarantee, and the pickier you are, the less control on selling price you may have.
If the dealer has enough volume they should have at least 1-2 allocations every month of every version of the 3 series/4 series (excluding M) as well as be basically line priced on negotiation year round. In my experience the only factors that should influence what you pay for a 3/4 are BMWUSA incentives, current residual, and MF. If a dealer is making a profit in Jan at invoice its making that same profit in july.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Depending on model and type, dealer should have build allocations they can offer to customize. For instance a F30 320 will likely have more available allocation slots than a 340.

You can select an available slot for a future week production (build slots go by production week number) . Note, just because you choose a certain week allocation does not mean the car will only be produced that week. Sometimes part shortages can cause BMWAG to move up/back production slots. Their sole interest is keeping the factory at near 100% capacity.

For instance a couple years back there was a shortage of MSport brake part(s) causing all cars ordered with these brakes to have production slots pushed back. BMWAG compensated by moving forward some other production slots to keep the factory moving.

Once a production slot is taken and build order completed, it's open to BMWAG to adjust dates as needed.

So, while you may be able to choose a Week 36 slot (early September) don't be surprised if you find the car in production before September. Not likely to happen, but possible.

And if you are ordering an F30, choosing an SA build will certainly add 3+ weeks to transit time (in most cases) .

Hope this helps to answer your question.
      06-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the dealer has enough volume they should have at least 1-2 allocations every month of every version of the 3 series/4 series (excluding M) as well as be basically line priced on negotiation year round. In my experience the only factors that should influence what you pay for a 3/4 are BMWUSA incentives, current residual, and MF. If a dealer is making a profit in Jan at invoice its making that same profit in july.
You fail to incorporate the fact that if 10 customers want a MY2017, and stroll into to a dealership, the dealer is less likely to negotiate down, if 2 of those customers don't care about paying MSRP.

Supply and demand.

I'm aware of other items playing into reduced cap cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:09 AM   #10
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not as clear cut as you make it seem.

Yes, a South African ('SA') build will take roughly 2-4 weeks longer to arrive compared to a German build, assuming you are taking delivery on the eastern half of the US. Can't speak much for other areas of the world. I haven't validated this myself for MY2017's, but generally SA builds don't start production until a month after German builds, so about mid August for the F30 3 series.

But your main factor here is production week. Any dealer could sell you a vehicle with a production week being between ~ 7/15 (roughly) or through a date in August. The date your vehicle enters production will drive how quickly you receive your vehicle. If you have a smart CA, they can snatch a production slot right before a vehicle is set to enter production, meaning your vehicle enters production within 1-2 weeks of you placing the order at the dealership. But production slots are based on supply/demand, and as the MY2017's are new, slots starting as early as mid July may already be spoken for. Ordering time for a 320 vs 330 vs 340 may just depend on dealer production slot allotment and supply/demand.

Generally German builds take 4-6 weeks from the time the vehicle enters production until it's ready for pickup at the dealer. You can figure out the math for the SA build based on the above.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Depending on model and type, dealer should have build allocations they can offer to customize. For instance a F30 320 will likely have more available allocation slots than a 340.

You can select an available slot for a future week production (build slots go by production week number) . Note, just because you choose a certain week allocation does not mean the car will only be produced that week. Sometimes part shortages can cause BMWAG to move up/back production slots. Their sole interest is keeping the factory at near 100% capacity.

For instance a couple years back there was a shortage of MSport brake part(s) causing all cars ordered with these brakes to have production slots pushed back. BMWAG compensated by moving forward some other production slots to keep the factory moving.

Once a production slot is taken and build order completed, it's open to BMWAG to adjust dates as needed.

So, while you may be able to choose a Week 36 slot (early September) don't be surprised if you find the car in production before September. Not likely to happen, but possible.

And if you are ordering an F30, choosing an SA build will certainly add 3+ weeks to transit time (in most cases) .

Hope this helps to answer your question.
Quote:
You fail to incorporate the fact that if 10 customers want a MY2017, and stroll into to a dealership, the dealer is less likely to negotiate down, if 2 of those customers don't care about paying MSRP.

Supply and demand.

I'm aware of other items playing into reduced cap cost.
I just need to "order" this week.

Again, I don't want an early allocation. I want to play odds that does NOT HAPPEN.

So I am asking what would take the LONGEST time to arrive based on past odds?

It seems to me that as SA is not going into production for a month after Germany, that a MY2017 from SA of a 340 taking an around the world trip would be the best odds, but that's just from casual observations in this forum. Many more knowledgable than me on this!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #11
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just need to "order" this week.

Again, I don't want an early allocation. I want to play odds that does NOT HAPPEN.

So I am asking what would take the LONGEST time to arrive based on past odds?

It seems to me that as SA is not going into production for a month after Germany, that a MY2017 from SA of a 340 taking an around the world trip would be the best odds, but that's just from casual observations in this forum. Many more knowledgable than me on this!
Everything you've asked has been laid out for you. There is no cookie cutter answer to what you want to know. Ordering a BMW isn't like ordering an item from Amazon Prime, where it ships within 2 days and you can track it's arrival time right after ordering.

We can't tell you what production week you'd receive, only your dealer knows which slots are available. And even then, narrowing down a "LONGEST" time to arrive, isn't something anyone can lock in. Delivery ships miss their own ETA's, or vehicles have recalls discovered during delivery, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #12
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Everything you've asked has been laid out for you. There is no cookie cutter answer to what you want to know. Ordering a BMW isn't like ordering an item from Amazon Prime, where it ships within 2 days and you can track it's arrival time right after ordering.

We can't tell you what production week you'd receive, only your dealer knows which slots are available. And even then, narrowing down a "LONGEST" time to arrive, isn't something anyone can lock in. Delivery ships miss their own ETA's, or vehicles have recalls discovered during delivery, etc.
Again, as I've stated now 3 times - looking for best odds - not the absolute certain answer as no one can guarantee that- and no one besides myself has even ventured an educated guess, which is somewhat amazing in and of itself.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Again, as I've stated now 3 times - looking for best odds - not the absolute certain answer as no one can guarantee that- and no one besides myself has even ventured an educated guess, which is somewhat amazing in and of itself.
My suggestion would be for you to specify the "production month" that you would want, then add the estimated shipping time to arrive at an ETA. Keep in mind that German BMWs built for the East Coast are usually produced in the last two weeks of each production month.

Also, the German factories are usually shut down for holidays during most of August.
      07-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Can I ask, what's the intention behind wanting as late a delivery as possible?