F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Improving Excel Skills
Studio RSR

01-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Improving Excel Skills

In my line of work I use Excel on a daily basis. However, it seems that whatever skills I pick up are often on the job. I want to be an Excel wiz. Anyone here an Excel guru? Can you point me in the right direction as to how to be a master at Excel? I see people using crazy formulas, macros, etc. and I really want to be able to do the same regardless whether or not I will actually use it on the job.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Watch a bunch of tutorials?

http://www.lynda.com/search?q=excel
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Been watching YouTube videos and pick up whatever I can and hope that some day I will use them. Did not think about Lynda.com so thank you for that!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I use a lot of basic data transfer and macros, a lot of my vlookup macros were set by the guy who was here before me, but I really want to figure out how the fuck to get it to work.

I've read tutorials and looked at my formulas but for whatever reason I can't get it to work when I run my own report. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Mr Excel and even the MS forums. Best bet is to get crappy systems, they'll force you to learn lookups, pivot tables and VBA just to survive. Good systems don't require as much Excel buffoonery.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I use a lot of basic data transfer and macros, a lot of my vlookup macros were set by the guy who was here before me, but I really want to figure out how the fuck to get it to work.

I've read tutorials and looked at my formulas but for whatever reason I can't get it to work when I run my own report. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Haha I feel your pain. At the previous place I couldn't get a file to update because of some macros that were created by someone else. For some reason only certain people can update it. I checked everything and asked pretty much everyone I knew and nobody could give me an answer. So then whenever I need it to be updated I had to ask someone else to do it for me. pita. Good thing it was very infrequent.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I use Mr Excel and browse around Excel is Fun's youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Mr Excel and even the MS forums. Best bet is to get crappy systems, they'll force you to learn lookups, pivot tables and VBA just to survive. Good systems don't require as much Excel buffoonery.
Yeah for sure. I am pretty comfortable using Excel (pivot, vlookup, IF). But when people talk about modeling and using crazy formulas or complicated files (parsing from other files) I feel like I need to improve.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Another vote for mr excel.

Best way to learn is to just have a go yourself, and ask others on excel forums. Been on many courses for excel and it always feels like I know more than the people "training" us.

I love a good excel challenge (I'm better with vba than formulas) if you need some help send me a file and I'll try my best to help out.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Take a class on it.

Seriously.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Take a class on it.

Seriously.
+1 Take it even if you think you know it all, get the certification for it. It's what everyone here is saying, you learn from experience with excel.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
MChat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 (en route)

Garage List
(The following applies to learning in general, as well as learning software)

Find reasons to use the stuff you learn from any online video, forum or tutorial.

Without finding a purpose your brain will just classify the information as "useless knowledge" and file it away with all of the other useless trivia you've collected over the years.

With each thing you learn, ask yourself: How can I use this? This tells your brain that the information you just learned is important and it "files" it differently.

As for Excel, if you get stumped and want to know something, I've done more with Excel than probably 99% of the people who use it daily, so ask away.

2016 BMW M3 (stock)
2005 Jeep LJ (slightly modified)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Everyone! I'm checking out some videos on youtube to see if I can pick up new skills. I will be sure to ask if I'm stumped with something in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

What would you like to know specifically?

I would say almost anything in excel (in a business setting) can be accomplished using Vlookups, SUMifs and Pivot Tables lol...

I kid you not. If you know those 3, almost anything can be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

I would say almost anything in excel (in a business setting) can be accomplished using Vlookups, SUMifs and Pivot Tables lol...

If you know how to code in VBA, Excel pretty much can do anything. You can also use "SUMPRODUCT" for complicated, multi-conditional SUMIFs. I work with a lot of CSV data dumps in Excel and SUMPRODUCT can be a God send.

As far as learning Excel, anything by John Walkenbach is a great resource.

Last edited by fecurtis; 01-19-2016 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I kind of agree. Really those were what I used in my former job. I'm just saying that many employers nowadays look for those that are experts in Excel. To have a leg up/competitive edge I would like to be an expert at it as well. I do know that most companies/jobs never use that many features/functions in Excel though.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #17
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

This is true. If you master the topics in MS Excel (Vlookups, if statements, and Pivot Tables), you pretty much have everything you will ever need with Excel in the business environment. Now, you may need to create crazy formulas that reference other tabs and perform calculations, but that's almost always just trial and error to get the formula correct (unless you already know the formula).

The only way I learned was on the job - I had a task, report, or data that I needed, and then began lots of trial and error, reading, and messing around with the data to see how it is output. I once spent 16+ hours straight on an excel spreadsheet getting the crazy formulas corrected. Something like 8AM-2AM at work....straight thru (it was year end)

If you need to do more than the three functions above, you need to learn how to use MS Access or a more sophisticated tool. Excel is a powerful tool but has its limits.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #18
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Excel is an incredibly powerful tool and please do strive to get better at it. If you are in finance just don't lose sight of the fact that it is one of many skill sets you need to be developing and as your career progresses it will likely become less and less important to your path while the other skills become more and more important. I've hired and subsequently fired multiple excel whizzes because it was the only thing that they were good at which in my case doesn't cut it.

If you aren't in finance ignore what I'm saying because it may not apply to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Excel is an incredibly powerful tool and please do strive to get better at it. If you are in finance just don't lose sight of the fact that it is one of many skill sets you need to be developing and as your career progresses it will likely become less and less important to your path while the other skills become more and more important. I've hired and subsequently fired multiple excel whizzes because it was the only thing that they were good at which in my case doesn't cut it.

If you aren't in finance ignore what I'm saying because it may not apply to you.
I work in finance and I agree 100%.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post

What other skills would you prize more? Are you talking about analysis?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I got ASAP Tools installed, then followed what it did to learn how to do stuff.

But I don't use it much, and like mentioned above found it easier to use Access to create a CSV then display the tables/graphs as needed. I'm NOT in Finance.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
What other skills would you prize more? Are you talking about analysis?
I would think analytical thinking, a very solid understanding of financial concepts and the ability to make rational decisions while managing people are things you would want to excel at. No pun intended
Appreciate 2