F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > AA Axle Back Exhaust with Resonator Delete
ARMA SPEED

06-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
BetterLivingF30
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 XDrive F30

AA Axle Back Exhaust with Resonator Delete

I recently ordered and installed the Active Autowerke Axle Back Exhaust. Ordered it through Andrew with AA. Package came in great shape, had to pay $145 USD for shipping plus another $100 or so to UPS for customs ect, all in all $1200 CDN to get to my door step. Install at my work another $125 or so. Initial thoughts were great quality but I wanted more sound especially in the higher frequency range. After about 600kms or so it has started to open up more, in Sport mode some nice burbles but still on the mild side for overall sound. Comfort mode has a bit of drone at lower rpms but nothing you cant live with, sport mode the drone is less and the exhaust note opens up nicely. Yesterday I had the resonator deleted and I must say this is exactly what the exhaust was missing. It now opens up in comfort mode with no extra drone. It probably added around 15-20% additional sound. Sounds very refined now both in comfort mode and sport mode. When you get on it, the sound note opens up extremely well, especially in the higher frequency range. Not over the top by any means just a nice sexy rasp. In sport mode even more so, but with much more burble. For anyone who is wanting a bit more sound out of their AA Exhaust and don't want to tune a downpipe yet, this is a great route to take. Resonator delete cost me just over $100 to have it done locally, I do work at a dealership so he probably gave me a discount because of that. To sum it up, the sound is exactly where I want it to be now. Not intrusive but you know its there and when you get on it, it sounds really good, plus lots of burbles when you down shift in sport mode.

Last edited by BetterLivingF30; 06-20-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

This is good to know, I have the MPE and i want a bit more sound. Are the crackle/pops/burble louder or just more frequent?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
BetterLivingF30
Rep

I would say burble sound is amplified moderately and the burbles have increased. I kept my resonator just in case I didn't like the sound. I cant see you not being impressed paired up with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboyblue View Post
This is good to know, I have the MPE and i want a bit more sound. Are the crackle/pops/burble louder or just more frequent?
Let me know if you delete your resonator and how it impacts the MPE.

I was looking to do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post

So I went to have a look under the car to see the resonator, it looks like a significant piece of the exhaust lol I'm having second thoughts about removing it. It doesn't look like a Honda resonator, it looks well engineered.

I'm trying to find a sound clip, but everyone seems to have some other variable in play DP or intake etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #6
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboyblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post

So I went to have a look under the car to see the resonator, it looks like a significant piece of the exhaust lol I'm having second thoughts about removing it. It doesn't look like a Honda resonator, it looks well engineered.

I'm trying to find a sound clip, but everyone seems to have some other variable in play DP or intake etc.
Agreed yeah I've had a hard time finding validated theories as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
BetterLivingF30
Rep

With the MPE it might be a bit aggressive, for the AA Axle back I was finding it too mild. It opened the exhaust up perfectly now, sounds very refined. You can always get the resonator taken out and welded back in if you don't like the sound, zero drone when I removed it. Paired with a DP I can see it being too much but with MPE or AA I would say go for it.
Appreciate 1