F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Can 630i and 740i get a significant market share in US?
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
silver
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: e90-320d-Tiag

Can 630i and 740i get a significant market share in US?

In europe we can get 630i and 740i 15-20% cheaper than 650i and 750i

Why does not Bmw sell these models in US?

Is it because bmw wants to keep the image of 6 and 7 series high, (so they do not sell these cars with 3 liter engines) or is it really true that 630i and
740i (or 730i in the future) can not get market share in US?

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
While Americans are considered badge snobs, they still don't want to pay a premium price for a luxury car that can be out accellerated by a basic economy car.

With freeway merging/overtaking being a big part of our driving experience, and a history of cheap, high hp cars available in the US (unlike Europe), theres no reason to spend a lot of money of a car and get low hp numbers, especially when that car is a heavy car.

I mean, my 740iL is rated at 285 hp, and weighs over 4000 lbs. It's considered kind of slow these days, when Altimas, Camry's and Accords have that much power.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
While Americans are considered badge snobs, they still don't want to pay a premium price for a luxury car that can be out accellerated by a basic economy car.

With freeway merging/overtaking being a big part of our driving experience, and a history of cheap, high hp cars available in the US (unlike Europe), theres no reason to spend a lot of money of a car and get low hp numbers, especially when that car is a heavy car.

I mean, my 740iL is rated at 285 hp, and weighs over 4000 lbs. It's considered kind of slow these days, when Altimas, Camry's and Accords have that much power.
I have to agree with this.

A 15% discount on a 650i would still yield a $72,000 car, roughly.

At $72,000, you could buy a Z06 Corvette that would knock the panties off any ricer, so why would you buy a 630i that could barely pass a Camry on the freeway?

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
silver
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: e90-320d-Tiag

Ok, I understand

But there is something I do not understand

Is it possible to feel all the engine power of the cars in USA, is not your traffic rules very strict?

For example, in my country, you can do 140 miles/hour in a highway with an
e90 320d, and if you want, you can do street race or highway race with another car, (I never race but go over 125 miles/hour frequently)
That is because traffic rules are not strict, there is no dissuasive punishments)

I do not understand the mentality of having a very powerful car if I had to go with 80 miles/hour in highway and even slower in another roads...

I think that US customers give great importance to comfort, and they can buy big cars with relatively small engines... But as I understand performance is also an other issue... But with that traffic rules, I do not understand the importance of perfromance
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

That's not to say you'll never get the chance of going over 80 MPH. The fast expensive cars we buy aren't driven to their limits >90% of the time (if they are your daily driver). Part of the image is to know that we have the potential of going fast
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Ok, I understand

Is it possible to feel all the engine power of the cars in USA, is not your traffic rules very strict?

e90 320d, and if you want, you can do street race or highway race with another car, (I never race but go over 125 miles/hour frequently)
That is because traffic rules are not strict, there is no dissuasive punishments)

I do not understand the mentality of having a very powerful car if I had to go with 80 miles/hour in highway and even slower in another roads...

I think that US customers give great importance to comfort, and they can buy big cars with relatively small engines... But as I understand performance is also an other issue... But with that traffic rules, I do not understand the importance of perfromance
Performance is not only top speed, dude. ANY time you have to accellerate from a stop, try to merge onto an interstate, accelerate out of a driveway or parking lot into traffic, you need accelerative power. If you pass someone on a 2 lane road, you need power to pull out and go around the slower car (say, you're on a 55 mph highway, and the driver in front of you is doing 45, when you go to pass them, you don't want to very slowly go by and sit out in the oncoming lane for ages. You want to get around them quickly, which means rapid acceleration from 45 up to passing speed, so you can get by and get back in your lane).

I rarely go 100 mph, but I CONSTANTLY have an opportunity to accellerate from a stop. you ever notice that Americans put a lot of stock in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? We may not be allowed to go over 75-80 mph, but we want to get to 75-80 mph right now.

When you hit that accelerator pedal, you want the car to MOVE. You don't want the car to tell you, in essence, "yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll get around to it."

And that's all true even if you are a law abiding citizen. If you like to push the envelope, then there's also accelleration out of a corner when driving briskly on a twisty backroad. Or drag racing, both legal and impromptu. I've done 100 mph across Maryland before (shhhh!). And over 140 across a bunch of Montana.

Take your car now, drive 30mph (or it's equivalent). Put it in 5th, 6th, or whatever your top gear is in that car. Now, hit the gas pedal. See how that feels? Now do the same 30 mph, put the car in 2nd or 3rd. Hit the gas pedal. See how that feels? More fun, more responsive.

Now imagine that the first scenario is the MAXIMUM acceleration you can get from an unloaded luxury car, and the the second is the MINIMUM acceleration you can get from a cheaper car, even with people in it. Why would you buy the first, slow expensive car when you can get the second car, that is more fun and more responsive because it has more acceleration? You can use that acceleration every day, even if you never explore the top speed.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Ok, I understand

When we want to go fast here we just go to 'Mexico'

But seriously, as has been already mentioned, power still works under 140 mph. And makes driving a lot easier/safer etc., in a vehicle that weighs a ton.

But your 'argument' is moot. The question should be why would a manufacturer sell any car that has a lot of power in the US or any other country that has speed limit laws? The US manufacturers have been building powerful muscle cars in this country forever.

So, I don't get what your question is really all about. It makes no sense. Except to remind us that you have the autobahn (I'm assuming you're in Europe.)

btw, driving rules in Europe are a LOT more strict than here. The police use radar to track you (they don't pull you over) and send you a ticket later. Spain is even worse. The only difference is the autobahn has no posted limits (but only in certain signed sections.)

This smells more like trolling..........
Appreciate 0