F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What Should I Do?
proTUNING Freaks

04-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
marcus_msp
Rep
Drives: 428i (Alpine White)

What Should I Do?

I just got my car about 6-7 weeks ago, but it's been at the dealership at least 3 of the weeks I've owned it. The first time I took it in, the windshield wiper was set too high, 5 minute fix, no big deal. Then my backup camera started randomly malfunctioning. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, and other times it would just be out of commission for 3-4 days altogether, so I finally took it in. They kept it for a week, claimed that it was fixed, I took it home, and it happened again that night. I take it back in, and this time they keep it for 2 weeks. I just picked it up last night, and all seems well so far.

My questions is should I call corporate and complain about the fact that I bought a brand spankin new car thats been in service almost half as long as I've owned it? The dealership did give me a loaner both times that I brought it in and left my car, so they have that going for them, but in my mind that still doesn't excuse me being in service for a car that had 2 miles on it when I bought it. Anybody else dealt with a similar issue? What should I realistically expect if I call corporate to deal with this?

Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
rabid23
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

what would you have them do?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

What do you want them to do? Unless you have some unresolved issue, I am not sure what they will do.

If you want to send a rant email, do that. But what do you want from BMW USA?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

You can certainly write to them about your dissatisfaction, especially if it makes you feel better. But I think all they will do, if they do anything, is to say "Sorry you've experienced some problems, please bring your car in for any issues you have". Sucks that that's happened, but it does...even for higher priced cars. My wife's Range Rover had backup camera problems in the first week, they replaced it. It croaked again and they replaced it again. Stuff like this happens, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
marcus_msp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid23 View Post
what would you have them do?
Well, I guess ideally they'd give me something for my troubles. I know if I bitched and moaned enough they'd eventually give in on giving me something, I'm just not that type of person. I don't have the energy to stay on the phone for hours repeating myself and yelling at someone just to get something for free. I really just wanted to see if BMW was the type of company that would give me something after just even telling them I've been through all this with a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_msp View Post
Well, I guess ideally they'd give me something for my troubles. I know if I bitched and moaned enough they'd eventually give in on giving me something, I'm just not that type of person. I don't have the energy to stay on the phone for hours repeating myself and yelling at someone just to get something for free. I really just wanted to see if BMW was the type of company that would give me something after just even telling them I've been through all this with a new car.
I had a lot of problems w my car that after a year of ownership and issues multiple issues and over 45 days in shop they gave me a brand new car, so yes u can complain but my issues were mechanical w the car where it wasnt drivable
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
marcus_msp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
I had a lot of problems w my car that after a year of ownership and issues multiple issues and over 45 days in shop they gave me a brand new car, so yes u can complain but my issues were mechanical w the car where it wasnt drivable
As far as I'm concerned if the car is not being driven by me, then it doesn't mater if the issue is mechanical or not, but I get what you're saying. I think if I continue to have problems after this time and it has to go back in then that might be something to explore. Meanwhile, I'd be happy with a reimbursement on the time my car was not driveable.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
bforbryan
Private
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned if the car is not being driven by me, then it doesn't mater if the issue is mechanical or not, but I get what you're saying. I think if I continue to have problems after this time and it has to go back in then that might be something to explore. Meanwhile, I'd be happy with a reimbursement on the time my car was not driveable.
I agree. It doesn't hurt to voice your concern. Better to have tried then regret not trying. I would be for a lack of a better word, pissed, too. Nowadays, you don't always get what you pay for. Worst yet is luxury cars are known to be less reliable and pricey for the fix. Even on warranty, your time is money. Give them hell. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

you can look into lemoning it.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
marcus_msp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
you can look into lemoning it.
When it was in the shop, and I was at my angriest level I looked into this. The laws are different in each state, but in IL the car has to be in the shop for a total of 30 days as one of the stipulations. I haven't gotten there yet, but if it has to go in again then I assure I'll be bringing this up.

I did end up calling BMWNA, and was told they are gonna work out reimbursing me for the total down time of the car. I have to wait until I can talk to a customer relations manager before I'll know exactly how much that will be. I'd be satisfied with that if everything properly functions from now on.

I got it back and was reminded it's one hell of a fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

how many days total has it been in the shop? look into the Illinois lemon laws. If its been there for too long, you can legally get a new car.

talk it out with the dealership first. in a really nice way, tell them you're extremely frustrated and strongly considering lemoning it or calling BMW NA and complaining (about the car, not the dealership)....being nice can go a LONG WAY. feel them out...see what they say. they may help you right away and take care of it themselves (which will save you a lot of time).....if not...then contact BMW NA and tell them you want a new car.

Tell them its not fair, you've been paying for a car you're not using...you're extremely upset with the build quality to the point where you feel uncomfortable driving the car..."who knows whats going to break down on the car next, backup camera today....maybe brakes tomorrow....i have kids and cant afford this risk" (pretend like you have kids if you dont). and then just take it from there.

try not to get violent if you dont have to. being nice helps BIG TIME.
      04-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
I did end up calling BMWNA, and was told they are gonna work out reimbursing me for the total down time of the car.
That's cool. Glad you managed to get something out of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

I would fight them for to make one month's payment on the car. Since it's been in the shop for almost a month total, why should you pay for something you're not in possession of?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I was just going to suggest that they should reimburse you somehow for the many weeks your car has spent in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
They should be able to make one of your monthly payments - speak with your service manager and he should be able to make a case with his service rep and they'll reimburse you for a payment.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

IMO - if you are leasing a car and your car requires warranty work, they should pro-rate your lease payment for that month or extend your lease by the additional time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

I understand where your coming from. My first BMW was an 07 335 coupe with the N54 engine. Got the car in 2006 and was a very early build. Over the 3 and a half years I owned it I went through 3 of the High pressure fuel pumps, and got stuck once because of it. Also had various other issues due to a new model. Always got a BMW loaner car, and each time the dealer got the car back to me in a reasonable time. I finally had enough and ordered a 2011 335 with the N55 engine. I was chatting with the service manager, who was always very nice to me and told him how I was very unhappy with the 07, but his service was excellent. He suggested (off the record) to call BMW C/service and tell them this story. I did and mentioned I thought I should be compensated for loss of use of my car. They took my info, said they would review the service records of my car and get back to me. About four days later I got a phone call. They agreed with me and asked what did they have to do to make me a more satisfied customer. We agreed on a check for $500.00 which I promptly received in the mail, and thanking me for purchasing another BMW. I feel they did right by me, and could have blown me off but they didn't, and that made me feel better about BMW's customer service
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

As per other examples where reasonable, level headed conversation got results keep a cool head and record all details. Don't write a diatribe, make it clear the down time is excessive, ask for compensation but be open to ideas or alternatives. Legal may be an option but if you get in front of a judge with no documentation you'll really be shooting yourself in the foot..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
So let me see if I understand this...you want to get compensated because your backup camera is flaky? The dealership is taking too long to fix it? It hasn't had to be towed in or left you stranded somewhere?

First, try another dealership; second, look at the big picture - nobody's going to "lemon" your car because the backup camera isn't working properly. They've given you a loaner each time, so you have transportation. I'd probably agree with compensation against your car payment because of how long they've been keeping it. After 4 BMWs since 2001, I've never had mine in the shop for more than 2 days max. It sounds like a dealership/technician competency problem, not an issue with your car, which apparently is mechanically sound.

My suggestion: ask them for a comped car payment, and insist they replace the entire camera assembly - wiring, camera, everything. Failing that, have them open a case with BMW - while you are driving your car, and don't take it back in until they figure out what to do about it. Personally, I've never had a car with a rear-view camera and don't care if I ever do, but it's the principle of the feature not working.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
marcus_msp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post

My suggestion: ask them for a comped car payment, and insist they replace the entire camera assembly - wiring, camera, everything. Failing that, have them open a case with BMW - while you are driving your car, and don't take it back in until they figure out what to do about it. Personally, I've never had a car with a rear-view camera and don't care if I ever do, but it's the principle of the feature not working.
Honestly thats exactly what it was, principle. The dealership was pleasant, and service was pretty good. That wasn't the issue. Also, I was told that because the 4 series is such a new car they were receiving instruction BMW HQ on how to proceed with locating the problem which slowed things down quite a bit.

I really only pursued complaining because it was a BRAND NEW CAR that I owned for 6 weeks, and was at the dealership for 3. I just couldn't get over that. I owned a freakin Kia Optima that was half the cost and I was at the dealership with this BMW more in that 6 weeks than I was an entire 6 months with the other car. It was just a frustrating experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Honestly thats exactly what it was, principle. The dealership was pleasant, and service was pretty good. That wasn't the issue. Also, I was told that because the 4 series is such a new car they were receiving instruction BMW HQ on how to proceed with locating the problem which slowed things down quite a bit.

I really only pursued complaining because it was a BRAND NEW CAR that I owned for 6 weeks, and was at the dealership for 3. I just couldn't get over that. I owned a freakin Kia Optima that was half the cost and I was at the dealership with this BMW more in that 6 weeks than I was an entire 6 months with the other car. It was just a frustrating experience.
I hear ya...I guess from my point of view, I'd never have let them keep the car for that long a period because of a minor problem like that. If they can't figure it out after a day or two, I'd have probably contacted the Service Manager and the Dealership Manager and asked why it was taking so long, since the components are identical to that of the sedan. I would also have tried to take it to another dealer, although that would depend on whether there's another one in your area. I hope they get this figured out!

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0