F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Does ceramic or quartz really work and what brand to use?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Does ceramic or quartz really work and what brand to use?

Anyone use it and if so what brand/ how did you apply
      03-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
PanTheOrganizer
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe M

I have used CQuartz UK and GTechniq EXO coatings and they both work great.

The thing with coatings is you have to make sure your surface is well prepped:
1) Wash the paint
2) Decontaminate the paint (claybar and iron remover like IronX)
3) Compound and polish the paint to perfection or desired level of finish
4) Use an IPA mix (like CarPro Eraser) to remove all the polishing oils and residue and to make sure the paint surface is prepped
5) Some coatings need a certain ambient temperature to cure well on the paint, so check the label for details
6) Apply the coating using directions and buff off using a quality microfiber cloth
7) Try to let the product dry for 24 hours (no water on the paint).

CarPro recommends using their Reload spray sealant 30 minutes after an application of their CQuartz or Cquartz UK coatings.

Depending on driving conditions, if your car is parked indoors, weather, etc, the coating should last anywhere from 1 to 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTheOrganizer View Post
I have used CQuartz UK and GTechniq EXO coatings and they both work great.

The thing with coatings is you have to make sure your surface is well prepped:
1) Wash the paint
2) Decontaminate the paint (claybar and iron remover like IronX)
3) Compound and polish the paint to perfection or desired level of finish
4) Use an IPA mix (like CarPro Eraser) to remove all the polishing oils and residue and to make sure the paint surface is prepped
5) Some coatings need a certain ambient temperature to cure well on the paint, so check the label for details
6) Apply the coating using directions and buff off using a quality microfiber cloth
7) Try to let the product dry for 24 hours (no water on the paint).

CarPro recommends using their Reload spray sealant 30 minutes after an application of their CQuartz or Cquartz UK coatings.

Depending on driving conditions, if your car is parked indoors, weather, etc, the coating should last anywhere from 1 to 2 years.
Can you do all those steps by hand or do you need a polisher
      03-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

#3 is best accomplished with a machine polisher.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinLuv View Post
I got Opti-Coat Pro applied on my previous car as soon as I took delivery; it's supposed to be permanent and their best product at the time (2015). The Pro version can only be applied by an authorized professional. After about 7-8 months of very careful hand washes, I still noticed fine scratches in the paint. It was great at resisting water spots, bird droppings, etc. I can't say I was ever impressed by the hydrophobic effect of it over time. There was water beading but it just didn't repel water as I thought it would.

After that experience with Opti-Coat Pro and all the detailer in my area jacking the price of it by 40% in less than a year, I didn't get it applied to my current car. I now think it makes sense to apply every year or two - you just can't avoid scratches by 100%. I'm probably going to try CQuartz UK this year when the weather gets better. It's way cheaper (1/10th) than what I paid for the Opti-Coat Pro application, I can install it myself and lasts up to 2 years.

Quote:
What if I plan on applying every year? Can I just use the same steps to apply the product again a year later? I'm wondering if the polishing steps removes the existing layer of the product - like how do you know you've gotten the existing layer polished off? Or is it not even necessary to remove the existing layer?

I've tried to find an answer on this for some time now but never got a solid response...
      04-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Quote:
I got Opti-Coat Pro applied on my previous car as soon as I took delivery; it's supposed to be permanent and their best product at the time (2015). The Pro version can only be applied by an authorized professional. After about 7-8 months of very careful hand washes, I still noticed fine scratches in the paint. It was great at resisting water spots, bird droppings, etc. I can't say I was ever impressed by the hydrophobic effect of it over time. There was water beading but it just didn't repel water as I thought it would.

After that experience with Opti-Coat Pro and all the detailer in my area jacking the price of it by 40% in less than a year, I didn't get it applied to my current car. I now think it makes sense to apply every year or two - you just can't avoid scratches by 100%. I'm probably going to try CQuartz UK this year when the weather gets better. It's way cheaper (1/10th) than what I paid for the Opti-Coat Pro application, I can install it myself and lasts up to 2 years.

Quote:
What if I plan on applying every year? Can I just use the same steps to apply the product again a year later? I'm wondering if the polishing steps removes the existing layer of the product - like how do you know you've gotten the existing layer polished off? Or is it not even necessary to remove the existing layer?

I've tried to find an answer on this for some time now but never got a solid response...
I just did a stripping wash, clay, polish and jet seal sealant from chemical guys with wax and the jet seal lasts a 12 months. It's incredibly hydrophobic as well as UV and bird dropping tuff. Definitely not gonna provide same scratch protection but only $40 bucks and it was easy to put on once I prepped the car
      04-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

I have cquartz finest on my estoril bleu for close to 18months. Tha coating is still working, as the rain drops "glide" over my car in a rain.

I can see some really faint scratches even using the 2 bucket method but definitely much better without the coating.

Now, I am considering to send my other car for cquartz finest reserve (new improved coating).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
I just did a stripping wash, clay, polish and jet seal sealant from chemical guys with wax and the jet seal lasts a 12 months. It's incredibly hydrophobic as well as UV and bird dropping tuff. Definitely not gonna provide same scratch protection but only $40 bucks and it was easy to put on once I prepped the car
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.
      04-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

I have Adams ceramic coating applied. It was very easy to apply. Seems to bead like crazy. Water definitely falls right off the vertical surfaces. Also a leaf blower just MOVES the water quickly off the paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
mauro1
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW f32 M sport

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
I have Gtechniq cristal serum light on actual f32, on a previous E92 have Gtecniq C1 both are excellent, but you should follow PanTheOrganizer's procedure, except new car don't need to polish.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK

I'm getting CQuartz Finest applied to my black sapphire metallic 340 later in May. Really hoping it's the right decision because it's a bit pricey. If folks have any other feedback on CQuartz Finest, please share!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
ggrr8t
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i x

You can check out this Board members detail job he did. It will give you an idea of how to prep for the ceramic he uses.http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1378894
Appreciate 0