F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
proTUNING Freaks

07-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #155
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

I don't know about the 3 series but every F10 M5 that has been here has had clonking from the rear and all have been fixed 100% by our springs, even the ones where BMW had already "fixed" them.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #156
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

So, 120 mile drive to the office this morning. There is no knocking going on that I can sense. The car is so much smoother it is amazing!
      07-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #157
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megajasperdog View Post
Hi guys
My 2012 330d m sport touring has been into Williams liverpool regarding the same front right suspension clunk as lots of people,on the second visit after telling me the car was normal they told me they where replacing the steering rack and lower steering shaft which they did and suprise suprise the car is exactly the same even though it was road tested and signed off by the head tech. I've only had the car 6 weeks and it's already spent 13 days at the dealer. I'm heading down there tomorrow to do a road test with the tech on board. Let's see how I get on.

I also have the same problem on my 2012 M Sport. Williams BMW Liverpool (who I must say have been excellent in dealing with this issue) have changed the top mount twice, the steering rack and the suspension struts - however the noise is exactly the same. They have now sent another PUMA directly to BMW, and we are now waiting further instructions from them as to the next course of action. The tech who is very knowledgeable is dumbfounded as to what this could be. It really spoils the whole ownership experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #158
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

Mine does the same. Only seems to happen in comfort mode, sport is fine. First time it happened over a speed bump in comfort I thought I'd smacked the underside of the car on the bump - then I discovered this thread!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #159
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
I also have the same problem on my 2012 M Sport. Williams BMW Liverpool (who I must say have been excellent in dealing with this issue) have changed the top mount twice, the steering rack and the suspension struts - however the noise is exactly the same. They have now sent another PUMA directly to BMW, and we are now waiting further instructions from them as to the next course of action. The tech who is very knowledgeable is dumbfounded as to what this could be. It really spoils the whole ownership experience for me.
Hi Again BM driver,
At the present time I've given up on trying to get this clunk fixed.
In the recent weeks it's definitely getting worse.
Please let me know what the result of that Puma is.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #160
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Hi Again BM driver,
At the present time I've given up on trying to get this clunk fixed.
In the recent weeks it's definitely getting worse.
Please let me know what the result of that Puma is.
Thanks
No problem, I will report on the outcome when/if BMW give further instructions. I do feel though that the warm weather definitely makes it worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #161
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I believe BMW resolved or significantly improved the DHP "hollow" noises as part of their running production changes. In checking Realoem there's been plenty of suspension part changes that seem to have begun in 11/2012. That said I had a late 2012 build MY13 F30 w/DHP that was quite noisy. Now have a MY14 and DHP is much quieter in this car. Compared to the passive suspension there's still some noise in Comfort mode, but not annoyingly so (where the MY13 was annoying).

Poke around realoem and you'll see what I'm talking about. Select a build newer than yours and you'll see the newer parts. And some have been changed 3-4 times such as the front axle support.

The question is can you get your dealer to install newer parts in your car? Probably not unless BMW ENDS life of the part currently used in your build.
      08-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #162
batty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330D

I finally got round to taking my 330d sDrive to the dealer again.
Bizarrely, all last week and on the 25 mile trip to the dealer, the suspension didn't rattle once. Typical!
On a drive with a technician I managed to induce a rattle by going over a low kerb - only 20mm or so as it's small bumps that give a rattle.
They had it for the day (while I test-drove an M4, but that's another story) and went through the correct problem-solving procedure. They've highlighted a potential problem with the lower trailing arm inner bushes (oil-filled) and will replace these next week.
Will give you an update soon, but generally optimistic that with a proactive dealership (Lister's BMW Boston) will sort it.
      08-16-2014, 02:19 AM   #163
batty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

hi guys
I've had the lower trailing arm inner bushes (oil-filled) replaced.
I think it's good news - so far I've experienced no rattling.
I'll reserve judgment on this being a success until I'm happy for a few days, as the knocking was intermittent before the "fix".
Let you know soon....
      08-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #164
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

I am having the same issue. Cant exactly remember when I first heard it. However, I can hear mine "clonk" coming from somewhere from the front. Also few weeks ago I went to a guy who can test my suspension and their system showed some problems with the front left damper. Of course I changed it (wasnt very cheap for F01..) but the sound still remains. I am not really sure if this is a problem or not always thought it is something like the system is doing since I hear it only on slow speed going over speed bumps also heard a 5GT making the same noise when I was outside walking.

Anyway, Ive been also in my dealership but they say my car is perfectly fine although I still found a problem with my damper.

I would like to ask you guys if you have problems with your tires. My tires wear very strangely. I dont know how to describe it but they wear down like on waves. And when I brake hard while driving with high speed my steering wheel is starting to shake and at 110 km/h there is a some vibration going on through the chassis like my tires have different pressure. Again the guy from the dealership and the mechanic told me that it just my imagination...WTF!

Im starting to believe that maybe these 2 issues are connected or maybe not but it is annoying I cant use one set of tires for more than one season. On my previous cars ive been using my summer set for 2 years but not now
      08-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #165
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gi View Post
I am having the same issue. Cant exactly remember when I first heard it. However, I can hear mine "clonk" coming from somewhere from the front. Also few weeks ago I went to a guy who can test my suspension and their system showed some problems with the front left damper. Of course I changed it (wasnt very cheap for F01..) but the sound still remains. I am not really sure if this is a problem or not always thought it is something like the system is doing since I hear it only on slow speed going over speed bumps also heard a 5GT making the same noise when I was outside walking.

Anyway, Ive been also in my dealership but they say my car is perfectly fine although I still found a problem with my damper.

I would like to ask you guys if you have problems with your tires. My tires wear very strangely. I dont know how to describe it but they wear down like on waves. And when I brake hard while driving with high speed my steering wheel is starting to shake and at 110 km/h there is a some vibration going on through the chassis like my tires have different pressure. Again the guy from the dealership and the mechanic told me that it just my imagination...WTF!

Im starting to believe that maybe these 2 issues are connected or maybe not but it is annoying I cant use one set of tires for more than one season. On my previous cars ive been using my summer set for 2 years but not now
Hi, I have no uneven wear on the tyres or braking defects, just this annoying clunk. The technician and I have been out in the car once again and recorded the noise which will be sent to BMW Germany, as they do not seam to be able to cure the noise so far despite sterling efforts from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #166
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gi

I've been following this thread for some time, even before I ordered my car... 5 months in and I'm lucky... My adaptive suspension seems ok. However, I get creaking door seals over low speed bumps. Could this be an issues affecting any of you, or is it a very distinct suspension sound?

@pr0gi is your car xDrive? I remember from my pre-order excessive research that mismatched tyres on AWD vehicles can cause tyre wear patterns similar to what you describe. Something about mismatched circumferences on differently worn tyres working the differentials and some how setting up a system that can pulse and cause this tyre wear.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm just half remembering something I've read. Google...
      08-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #167
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Interesting to see this thread is still running!

I still have the knocking problems with my 2012 330d M Sport. Tried really hard with my local dealer, but it's clear that BMW UK have set a firm policy on this issue of 'no fix available'.

By the way, my car has the same noise at all four wheels - certainly nothing to do with steering or VSS from my point of view. In my car, the rears are generally more noisy.

I'm not going anti-BMW but, for me, all this is part of a wider picture of BMW really loosing their grip (no pun intended) on putting out cars that ride and handle well. The M235i that I tried put the 435d to shame for ride quality, not just handling.

If the only way of getting a BMW that has decent ride quality and handling is to buy a junior M car or a full M car, then the likes of Audi will be eating BMW's lunch very soon. Interestingly, the M235i that I drove had adaptive and, while being genuinely very engaging and great fun to drive, also had a minor case of the knocking sound at all four wheels. I'll certainly avoid adaptive on a BMW from now on.

I think BMW have dropped the quality of their springs and dampers (adaptive or passive) in the last couple of years and, in doing so, they've somehow lost sight of what has always been the essence of driving a BMW. By the sound of things, BMW have had faulty adaptive damper technology in the market for over two years on 3 and 5 series cars and they've clearly got the same thing going on with the 2 series. It's easy to make the comment from a distance, but that feels like at least 6 months too long.

I hope BMW get onto their suspension quality issues in general. Three weeks ago, I thought Audis were dull, hard-riding cars that felt numb at the front had dead steering and spongy brake pedals. I read that they've been doing a lot of work on dynamics very quietly and the way the demo 3.0TDI A5 drove certainly reflected that.

All a bit worrying. RFTs do a lot of damage to ride and handling, but are BMW also loosing their marbles for the sake of saving a few quid on cheaper dampers and springs ...?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #168
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:

It seems like your car could do with a 4 wheel alignment and your steering wheel shake is probably caused by a wheel out of balance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #169
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
It seems like your car could do with a 4 wheel alignment and your steering wheel shake is probably caused by a wheel out of balance.
@Rich9600 no, im not with xdrive but when you place your hand on the tires and move it around you can feel the "waves".

I do 4 wheel alignment quite often although Ive been told that there always will be some minor difference even if I go the very next day again. And yes you are right about the steering wheel shake but thats because the car eat its tires every summer like that. I bought new set of tires and no problems so far but still can feel the shake of the chassis when driving with about 110 km/h. My old X5 didnt such problems and was without adaptive suspension. Maybe it is just a factory defect, guess im that lucky one

About the noise I believe it is some mechanics doing their work, something similar to the suspension switching to another state. I dont know how to explain it but I see it that way since I hear it only driving about 5-10 km/h and going through speed bumps or potholes. If I go faster there is no such noise.
      10-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #170
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post
Rob did you ever get an answer to this as mine does exactly this but they have found nothing yet; last answer I got was dirty brakes

RobUK, following my post before. I have just gotten my car back Saturday after being in the stealers for 6 days for a full steering rack replacement!

Now, no knocking (so far!) and no rattle from the steering wheel when stationary.

Not sure if my issue was the same as others in here as is standard suspension and only on the one wheel.

I had the front shocks replaced previously with some improvement for a while before it got worse again and now had this fix.
      10-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #171
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Since I got the car end of December, I noticed a mild knocking sound when going over minor bumps on the road. It sounds like a loose exhaust mounting, or even like worn ball-joints on an old car, albeit quieter than that.

Took my car in to the dealer today for them to look over, expecting it to be a case of a missing exhaust mouth or two. The drew a blank on that and want the car back in two weeks to look at suspension.

Not worried, as I'm sure they'll fix it but has anyone else heard of this or experienced it?
I had this issue on my 535d GT. I had many many arguments about this and it spent weeks back in the stealer with absolutely no improvemen or clue. Nothing broke though, it just sounded awful.

Do have light murmurs of it with my 335 on adaptives currently, but I'm putting this down to characteristics and they behave very reasonably paired with ACS springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #172
DTP1980
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 LCI Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
I

Get the car in a garage that can elevate the car and get the wheels off the ground. Spin the wheels and carefully watch the tread - I anticipate that you'll see a flat spot in the tyre aka 'Sawtooth'. You may be able to warranty them if there is enough tread left. Replace with none run flats and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #173
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

i have this rattle as well now,there was always a slight mechanical rattle from the drivers side front strut over slow speed bumps,like having a worn rose joint type noise but now its more pronounced,i have also noticed a single drops of oil on the garage floor under the front strut so thanks for posting that batty im going to have a closer look at those arms
      11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #174
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Hi all,

I also had a rattle from the front on going over bumps but also a knocking when turning the steering wheel back and forth, from standstill and moving.

The dealer said that the knocking was as bad as he had heard, and they recently fixed the issue with a new steering rack on an X-series. They replaced the lower steering arm, which improved the looseness of the steering/rattle, but did nothing to the knocking.

The dealer now reports that the steering rack is at fault, but BMW say that it's 'in specification'.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with BMW?

Thanks!
Matt
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #175
batty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

A quick update from me - I had the lower trailing arm inner bushes (oil-filled) replaced, and for a while (honeymoon period I guess) the noise had gone. But it's definitely back - it's hard to say after how long. It still seems intermittent which is strange. Sometimes it knocks over the tiniest undulations (car parks etc.) and tends to keep knocking for that journey. And sometimes it's perfect for the complete journey. It doesn't get on my nerves, so I'll take it to the dealer again when I have time.
      08-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #176
GuiltyNL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31

batty

Did they solve it? And I'm trying to translate the trailing arm inner bushes to Dutch, but I'm not very succesful at it.

Is trailing arm the same as a wishbone? And is an bush a bearing or something?
Appreciate 0