F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > !HELP! Wiper malfunction
GetBMWParts

02-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Exclamation !HELP! Wiper malfunction

i am currently sitting in a parking lot, with a serious issue. There was a ton of snow today. Some of which became lodged under my right wiper blade. It couldn't reach its resting position. As I went downhill, snow slid from the top of my car as the wiper was vertical, as the wiper went down it was forced to stop. I drove to the car wash, sprayed the frozen snow and ice and the wipers fell into their resting position. But now, the wipes are not workig at all. I gentally moved the wipers with my hand, and there is no resistance. The wipers move freely with little force. I tried resetting the car via the 'hidden' menu, I thought about disconnecting the battery, but I'm not sure that would help. It's raining/sleeting.. Roads are terrible and I can't see to drive without wipers right now. Does anyone know a possible fix? Hoping the blade motors didn't burn out so easily. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZDestroyer View Post
i am currently sitting in a parking lot, with a serious issue. There was a ton of snow today. Some of which became lodged under my right wiper blade. It couldn't reach its resting position. As I went downhill, snow slid from the top of my car as the wiper was vertical, as the wiper went down it was forced to stop. I drove to the car wash, sprayed the frozen snow and ice and the wipers fell into their resting position. But now, the wipes are not workig at all. I gentally moved the wipers with my hand, and there is no resistance. The wipers move freely with little force. I tried resetting the car via the 'hidden' menu, I thought about disconnecting the battery, but I'm not sure that would help. It's raining/sleeting.. Roads are terrible and I can't see to drive without wipers right now. Does anyone know a possible fix? Hoping the blade motors didn't burn out so easily. Any help is greatly appreciated!
YEars ago my wipers stopped working in the snow on an old beat up buick. I took a piece of rope, tied it to each wipera nd left front windows open just a crack to let the rope inside the cabin, i was able to operate the wipers by pulling on the rope.
It's a make shift solution that will get you home or to the dealer, or call a roadside assistance
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Step 1) Take a deep breath.

Step 2) Consider turning the car off for long enough to let the systems reset (5-10min maybe? Can't remember exactly).

Step 3) If you are still stranded, hit that SOS! Not worth trying to drive home in subpar conditions when BMW (more likely a man named Earl) will graciously come and rescue you like a knight in shining armor.

Step 4) Godspeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thinking about taking the strings from my boots lol I would hope bmw has a security measure in place, so the wipers don't damage themselves. I was hoping for a way to reset them or something, but I can't find any information anywhere. Will SOS soon. Waiting on a friend to come take a look.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Reading the manual, it has information to reset the wipers after changing them. I'm trying that now.... And nope. Still won't budge. It looks like the right wiper is out of place, but I don't know. Guess I'll set up an appointment and take it in when I can.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Reading the manual, it has information to reset the wipers after changing them. I'm trying that now.... And nope. Still won't budge. It looks like the right wiper is out of place, but I don't know. Guess I'll set up an appointment and take it in when I can.
Honestly that's probably your best move. No sense in messing with something that they will easily investigate and replace. You run the risk of doing damage on your part that would potentially void any warranty work. Hope you get things figured out!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Was hoping for an easy fix, but not This time! Crazy what a little misplaced snow can do lol learned a valuable lesson today. Clean snow off the damn roof lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The wiper linkage, I think, has broke. A metal bar that attaches to wiper motor. The black plastic bushing Broke on one side. I've superglued it for now. Hoping it will hold for the time being. Would attach picture, not sure how.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #9
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

In the future use this method of leaving the wipers in the vertical position when leaving the car parked in bad weather, or anytime you want to lift the wiper arms:

1. push the engine stop button 2 times as you would to turn of the engine normally
2. hold the wiper control arm/stalk up past the point of resistance for about 3 - 4 seconds and release

The wiper arms will cycle once, then a second time and stop in a vertical position. I did this yesterday (NYC) and when I came out too 4 inches of a snow covered car I just lifted the wiper arms away from the windshield and was easily able to clear the snow from the windshield with the wipers safely out of the way.

Never try to lift the wipers from the set position because they sit below the hood lip and will be damaged if you lift them without going through the above steps.

Hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Bassthe1st
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
In the future use this method of leaving the wipers in the vertical position when leaving the car parked in bad weather, or anytime you want to lift the wiper arms:

1. push the engine stop button 2 times as you would to turn of the engine normally
2. hold the wiper control arm/stalk up past the point of resistance for about 3 - 4 seconds and release

The wiper arms will cycle once, then a second time and stop in a vertical position. I did this yesterday (NYC) and when I came out too 4 inches of a snow covered car I just lifted the wiper arms away from the windshield and was easily able to clear the snow from the windshield with the wipers safely out of the way.

Never try to lift the wipers from the set position because they sit below the hood lip and will be damaged if you lift them without going through the above steps.

Hope it helps
I would rather say: In the future, remove snow on your car before. it seems like you didn't remove all the snow on your car before leaving, which is an infraction.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassthe1st View Post
I would rather say: In the future, remove snow on your car before. it seems like you didn't remove all the snow on your car before leaving, which is an infraction.
It is in snow zones, where the regulations take it into account, but it might not be where the OP is. But it's the smart thing, wherever you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Bassthe1st
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It is in snow zones, where the regulations take it into account, but it might not be where the OP is. But it's the smart thing, wherever you are.
You can still be arrested if you don't clean your car because you become a danger for the others an yourself, but as you said, might not be inforced in area where the receive little snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
canbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Almost certainly the wiper linkage is broken. Same thing happened on my old Legacy. I was able to replace it myself but it wasn't easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can still be arrested if you don't clean your car because you become a danger for the others an yourself, but as you said, might not be inforced in area where the receive little snow.
You can't enforce a regulation that doesn't exist. Whether it does in Virginia is the OPs responsibility to determine. It does in Massachusetts, but there compliance with every statute seems to be on a voluntary basis. Driving on I-95 the day after a snowstorm is like playing dodgeball, trying to avoid the snow flying off the tops of cars, and worse, trucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
You can't enforce a regulation that doesn't exist. Whether it does in Virginia is the OPs responsibility to determine. It does in Massachusetts, but there compliance with every statute seems to be on a voluntary basis. Driving on I-95 the day after a snowstorm is like playing dodgeball, trying to avoid the snow flying off the tops of cars, and worse, trucks.
Linky that summarizes per state laws. My recommendation is also to clean off snow, there is nothing more annoying than having snow flying off your car and onto another car. I hate when people don't clean snow off their rear windshield - these idiots are driving with limited rear visibility.
      02-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassthe1st
Quote:
This is an exaggeration... Nobody (in the US at least) is going to put you in handcuffs because you didn't clean the snow off your car. In NJ they are very strict about this. You get a summons, and you have to clean the vehicle off if you want to drive away after getting pulled over.
      02-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
This is an exaggeration... Nobody (in the US at least) is going to put you in handcuffs because you didn't clean the snow off your car. In NJ they are very strict about this. You get a summons, and you have to clean the vehicle off if you want to drive away after getting pulled over.
Maybe those Canadians aren't as easy going as rumor has it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #18
Bassthe1st
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

When I said arrested I meant getting a ticket, not going to jail!

But seriously, even if the law exists, I've never seen it inforced.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #19
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
When I said arrested I meant getting a ticket, not going to jail!

But seriously, even if the law exists, I've never seen it inforced.
I've seen people pulled over here in NH by the cops and forced to clean their cars off...last time I saw it was a hot blonde, and the policeman was helping her clean her car off...go figure
      02-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #20
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnh View Post
I've seen people pulled over here in NH by the cops and forced to clean their cars off...last time I saw it was a hot blonde, and the policeman was helping her clean her car off...go figure
Dude no such rule enforcement here in SoCal even in the snow resort areas. I see cars with mini icebergs flying off all the time!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #21
jasnh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Dude no such rule enforcement here in SoCal even in the snow resort areas. I see cars with mini icebergs flying off all the time!
Yea, we used to get a lot of that, not so much now, but still do occasionally....this morning on my way to the gym, I saw some guy in a Prius covered in snow, except for the left half of his windshield....the moron didn't even clean off his entire windshield...unreal
      02-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #22
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I suspect that since there is no resistance that there is a mechanical failure of some kind. And after looking at the diagram of the windshield wiper setup it is possible that the linkage came apart at a joint or something. If that is the case it could likely just snap back together. If that is not the issue then i would take a look at the wiper motors gear box. check out the diagram for your car.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...agramCallOut=6