F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Folding mirror squeaks
Extreme Powerhouse

06-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Paladucky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Folding mirror squeaks

My car is about 10 months old and the other day I noticed that the passenger folding mirror makes a loud rubbing/squeaking noise when folding. I coded the car to autofold the mirrors so basically every time I drive it they're folding/unfolding.

Any DIY fixes or should I take it into the dealer? I'm scheduled for maintenance so I was planning on going anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladucky View Post
My car is about 10 months old and the other day I noticed that the passenger folding mirror makes a loud rubbing/squeaking noise when folding. I coded the car to autofold the mirrors so basically every time I drive it they're folding/unfolding.

Any DIY fixes or should I take it into the dealer? I'm scheduled for maintenance so I was planning on going anyway.
Honestly mine did too... turned out there was something stuck in the mirror take a good look at it. Make sure nothing is stuck spray it down with some water, let it dry and what I did was apply 1 drop of cable lube I use for when I'm building bicycles and the sound when a away. If that doesn't work take it to the dealer
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I experienced the same issue with my 335i. I had nothing impeding the mirrors and my fix was to spray WD-40 White Lithium lubricant at the folding junction when fully opened, then again in the closed position. i used a rag behind the the spray point and then wiped up any over-spray or leakage from the junction. Cycled the mirrors 4-5 times and all has been good since (8 months). My guess is that over time with washing and rain the original lubricant failed.
Appreciate 0