F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Pls HELP. Carbon Monoxide Exhaust Fumes in car cabin
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #23
Crispykickz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i M-Sport

Can you try taking the car to another BMW dealership, armed with your air quality readout?

You seem to be close to the end of your warranty period - I understand wanting to get this addressed on their dime, but at least with BMW Manhattan - you seem to have hit a brick wall.

Ultimately this is a safety issue - and its your own safety that is at risk. If you feel it is an issue with fumes - just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them check everything out. Or an independent mechanic even. Yes it is $$ out of your pocket, you are into the car for $26k and can't get rid of it anytime soon - so best to just get an answer.

You have a tool that is showing the air quality in the cabin decreasing - so you aren't just making things up - that decrease in air quality has to be coming from somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 MineralGray BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xG35c View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the HVAC is stuck in recirculate and the cabin isn't getting any fresh air - there is an "auto" setting for this so there must be a sensor and that sensor might be keeping recirc on?
Hi. In my own testing I had it on “A’, “M’, and A/C and than all off and etc Multiple scenarios in Multiple diffrent driving and environment conditions. I really gave this a run as I don’t take a No for answer. That being said, the issue seems to be at worst with “A” on, 75 degrees dialed up, driving 30min in, 30mph and up, windows all up and A/C off, ventilation on Auto direct
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #25
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispykickz View Post
Can you try taking the car to another BMW dealership, armed with your air quality readout?

You seem to be close to the end of your warranty period - I understand wanting to get this addressed on their dime, but at least with BMW Manhattan - you seem to have hit a brick wall.

Ultimately this is a safety issue - and its your own safety that is at risk. If you feel it is an issue with fumes - just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them check everything out. Or an independent mechanic even. Yes it is $$ out of your pocket, you are into the car for $26k and can't get rid of it anytime soon - so best to just get an answer.

You have a tool that is showing the air quality in the cabin decreasing - so you aren't just making things up - that decrease in air quality has to be coming from somewhere.
Hi. BMW of North America, just a few minutes ago, said they don’t really know who/which dealership would take in my car at this point. They won’t investigate futher until I pay a full windshield replacement out of my own pocket at a certified BMW dealership garage with no reimbursement if it’s determined it was not the windshield. And they wont test the windshield first whith a simple air pressure test.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #26
Crispykickz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsidney View Post
Hi. BMW of North America, just a few minutes ago, said they don’t really know who/which dealership would take in my car at this point. They won’t investigate futher until I pay a full windshield replacement out of my own pocket at a certified BMW dealership garage with no reimbursement if it’s determined it was not the windshield. And they wont test the windshield first whith a simple air pressure test.
It's absolutely bizarre that they claim definitively its the windshield, without test results.

If you think that all options are exhausted (no pun intended) at this point - spend a couple hundred $ and have it properly checked out. This isn't something to mess around with.

I wonder if there is a higher authority you can appeal to (above BMW) to get some real assistance on the matter (EPA?)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Hi. If I only could figure out how to post pictures on here... i could Show u. But every time i try to upload a pic from my phone to my posts this system rejects them.
I don't need a picture. Tell us the make and model of the testing unit you're using and concentration numbers you're seeing.
      12-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #28
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispykickz View Post
It's absolutely bizarre that they claim definitively its the windshield, without test results.

If you think that all options are exhausted (no pun intended) at this point - spend a couple hundred $ and have it properly checked out. This isn't something to mess around with.

I wonder if there is a higher authority you can appeal to (above BMW) to get some real assistance on the matter (EPA?)
No. When I call in to BMW NA and ask for someone higher than the person Iam already talking to, i get rejected and then a Good Bye and hang up. When I asked Mr Petteway who is above him, he said no one. He is the only one I can deal with.

And it looks like no lawyer wants to take my case (even though ford just had to settle for Millions for the same issue) because I was not involved in an accident and not physically hurt/injuries.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #29
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I don't need a picture. Tell us the make and model of the testing unit you're using and concentration numbers you're seeing.
http://https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0L5idkMwEXjFZ

Does this help/work?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #30
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you sure it’s not the ventilation system. Not a bmw but many years ago I had something similar with a Vauxhall Vectra, was a brand new company car and every time I drove it I would feel tired, my eyes would go red, I’d get a headache and my throat would hurt. Drove with a work colleague who experienced the same. Vauxhall just did the sum of nothing each time it was booked in to look at, I also tried different dealers but again nothing, they just didn’t have the inclination to find out what was going on.

Luckily for me my company decided to pursue it, they hired an expert in the field who came and examined the car, he took the car away and had it for 4-5 hours and he found out what was happening.

In my case, the car had AC and the heat exchanger had microscopic holes which under certain conditions would vent the liquid in the exchanger into the cabin via the vents. The report was sent off to Vauxhall, who were also asked to pay for the report, the car went in, the exchanger was swapped out and no more problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

HCHO is formaldehyde, which is outgassed by many man made materials found in cars and a very long list of other items. The same applies to TVOC, total volatile organic compounds. Both are common air pollutants, especially in the city. I don't see the CO that you said you measured.
Appreciate 1
Katin134.00
      12-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #32
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
HCHO is formaldehyde, which is outgassed by many man made materials found in cars and a very long list of other items. The same applies to TVOC, total volatile organic compounds. Both are common air pollutants, especially in the city. I don't see the CO that you said you measured.
Ok. Got ya. So this new device (link) that I am about to order will do it though right? And the TVOC are not dangerous / harmful at all? How come I have all these issues though when driving my car? This all just started in Sep’17. But i got the car in May’17.

Link: http://www.industrialsafetyproducts....rbon-monoxide/
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #33
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
You’ve been asked 3 or 4 times for the specific info of the device you are using...including by a person who works on environmental air quality. Yet you avoid the answer every time. Pictures do not answer the question.

1) Brand Name

2) Model

3) Purchase date

4) New or used

That is much more important than 15 posts about tape on your windshield.

Is there some reason you cannot answer this?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You’ve been asked 3 or 4 times for the specific info of the device you are using...including by a person who works on environmental air quality. Yet you avoid the answer every time. Pictures do not answer the question.

1) Brand Name

2) Model

3) Purchase date

4) New or used

That is much more important than 15 posts about tape on your windshield.

Is there some reason you cannot answer this?
Sorry for the delay. Im new to to this. Just was trying to figure out how to include pics with my post. I ended up compiling a link to a photo bucket.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0L5idkMwEXjFZ

Also #BillFitz wrote something interesting further up I commented on.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #35
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, you did not answer for 5th time
Sorry IK6SPEED if Iam a bit slow replying everyone not right away or miss to incl something. Unfortunately I shouldn’t have posted in two forums. Lol. A lot actually reply to my threads. Thats awesome. ..but anyway , so what was your question again? Sorry man

Device:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LB8MPZ..._kZ9bxrridfcsV

And I will upgrade to this:
http://www.industrialsafetyproducts....arbon-monoxide

Last edited by teamsidney; 12-20-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #36
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry IK6SPEED if Iam a bit slow replying everyone not right away or miss to incl something. Unfortunately I shouldn’t have posted in two forums. Lol. A lot actually reply to my threads. Thats awesome. ..but anyway , so what was your question again? Sorry man

Device:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LB8MPZ..._kZ9bxrridfcsV
And why do you think that measures Carbon Monoxide?

Specification:
Test item: HCHO, TVOC, PM2.5.
Product Dimension: 150*70.8*43.6mm.
Battery Capacity: 2200mAh Lithium Battery.
Input: 5.0V/500mA.
Charging Temperature: -10℃-45℃.
Storage Temperature: -20℃-50℃.
Test Range:
HCHO:0-1.999 mg/m3.
TVOC:0-9.999 mg/m3.
PM2.5/PM10:0-999μg/ m3.

Quote:
Hi. I did that. Yes its a device for that. I did take a picture and video. Multiple times. And send it over to BMW North America. But they claim my device is no good. Im just too sensitive to something. But on the other hand they say they have no such devices of their own and also no knowledge what they are or how to use them. As they are not in the business to know that.
They were correct, regardless of what you posted earlier.

Your device doesn’t measure what you claim.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-20-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #37
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Specification:
Test Range:
Hi. When I went to BMW a few times (way before I purchased this device), I had no idea what I was going in for other than that something is off I and I all of a sudden feel weird while driving my car. Andd it was only my car. Driving in other folks car was fine. And then when BMW continuously said there is nothing wrong wrong with my car, I went out andd try to find an idea what could cause all this. I was on this and other forums. People were writing about Air quality test devices and what not. So I went online and googled for it. I found this device. Personally for me it sounded like it would tell me if there is something in my car or not..again, at that time I had no clue about CO, NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) etc. because all of this I started trying to educate myself on the matter. Reading through Wikipedias, Government sides and what not...Actually super interesting...but yeah, I got the device (back in October) overnight (thats why it cost me way more) and I tested it on my car in various scenarios. I also tested it on BMW garage floor with all their car engines on and what not.. and I also wass hoding it next to my exhaust pipe. And when i was moving the device away from the exhaust pipe it read fresh air. When I held it back next to the exhaust pipe it read badd air. That was enough to me that the device knew what was badd and good air. And I initially calibrated it against reg. NYC Manhattan outside mid day air. ..but honestly didn’t knew there are Devices with single sensors that only measure one gas. Like only CO or NO2 or the device I am now getting who does both (only): CO & NO2
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #38
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Specification:
Test Range:

They were correct, regardless of what you posted earlier.

Your device doesn’t measure what you claim.
Great thank you for your input. This all helps to figuring out what my next steps should be. So obviously this new specific CO & NO2 reading device needs to be tested in my car “like yesterday’. Will see how fast I can have it shipped. I will keep u all in the loop. Happy Holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #39
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi. When I went to BMW a few times (way before I purchased this device), I had no idea what I was going in for other than that something is off I and I all of a sudden feel weird while driving my car. Andd it was only my car. Driving in other folks car was fine. And then when BMW continuously said there is nothing wrong wrong with my car, I went out andd try to find an idea what could cause all this. I was on this and other forums. People were writing about Air quality test devices and what not. So I went online and googled for it. I found this device. Personally for me it sounded like it would tell me if there is something in my car or not..again, at that time I had no clue about CO, NO2 (nitrogen dioxide) etc. because all of this I started trying to educate myself on the matter. Reading through Wikipedias, Government sides and what not...Actually super interesting...but yeah, I got the device (back in October) overnight (thats why it cost me way more) and I tested it on my car in various scenarios. I also tested it on BMW garage floor with all their car engines on and what not.. and I also wass hoding it next to my exhaust pipe. And when i was moving the device away from the exhaust pipe it read fresh air. When I held it back next to the exhaust pipe it read badd air. That was enough to me that the device knew what was badd and good air. And I initially calibrated it against reg. NYC Manhattan outside mid day air. ..but honestly didn’t knew there are Devices with single sensors that only measure one gas. Like only CO or NO2 or the device I am now getting who does both (only): CO & NO2
Devices need to be calibrated to NIST standards, not holding out into Manhattan air.

Furthermore, to be taken seriously by BMW or a Court of Law, you will need to be able to show that calibration.

You are wasting money instead of having an qualified independent 3rd party conduct the test that you can show to BMW, NYT, TV Stations, DOT, State Govt and in a court of law.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #40
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$350?? That's nuts. Get one of these, and when you're done hang it in your house/apartment, where you should have already had one anyway:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011O2WW1C...=2895763060101
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #41
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Devices need to be calibrated to NIST standards, not holding out into Manhattan air.

Furthermore, to be taken seriously by BMW or a Court of Law, you will need to be able to show that calibration.

You are wasting money instead of having an qualified independent 3rd party conduct the test that you can show to BMW, NYT, TV Stations, DOT, State Govt and in a court of law.
Well i wish I knew where to go for that. BMW couldn’t tell me where. Google didn’t spit out anything and when I emailed various HAVAC businesses about this, only a few replied saying they can’t help me. .... Mhh any idea who might?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #42
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
$350?? That's nuts. Get one of these, and when you're done hang it in your house/apartment, where you should have already had one anyway:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011O2WW1C...=2895763060101
Haha. I already have the ones with the 9 volt battery. Those standard white ones. But thx.

But @Billfitz, what is your take on IK6SPEED last comment further up?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #43
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Mhh so this would do? It says its in regulation with NIST
http://sears.com/uei-test-instrument...p-00957910000P
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #44
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But @Billfitz, what is your take on IK6SPEED last comment further up?
If the levels in the car of formaldehyde and VOCs exceed state or federal regulations and that of the outside air you might have a valid complaint. But you're not going to get a legally binding ruling on a forum.
Appreciate 0