F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series (F30) seat rust issue causes owner to destroy car in protest!
ARMA SPEED

12-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #177
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinMrBMWBey View Post
So the seat bottom developed surface rust, big deal you get it repaired just like anything else. As long as human beings are developing machines thier will be an issue here and there. No reason to make a fool of yourself destroying your car, or going down to you dealer and raising hell. I think that people are forgeting that cars are made to drive, and by drive that means they are made to use. You dont by a car to simply look at it, and a car does not validate you as a person. It gets scratched, they get dented, they break it's just reality. You buy a car to drive it not question every nut and bolt looking for a problem. Sometimes what you think shouldn't happen just happens you deal with and move on with life.
they aren't doing anything about it. Not repairing it. Not sanding it. Not painting it.

Rust is a CHEMICAL reaction. After time, it corrodes. Perforates. And by then the warranty will long be over. That's why we are all freaking out. I'm not buying a new seat rail at 90k when I identified the problem at 4k. Not to mention resale issues.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #178
Enza
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA B5 View Post
oppa gangnam style
LMAO!!! Shit's crazy... I'm keeping my money until this shit is fixed for the new coupe!
300 / ZSP / ZPP / ZCV / PDC / OEM M3 Mirrors (auto everything) / LCI Tails / Paddle Shifters / MTechnik Sides, Front & Rear Bumper / OEM M Spoiler, Performance Grilles / Quad Tips & Carbon Fibre Quad Diffuser (Pending) / AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler / OEM Aluminum Footrest, Stainless Pedals (Pending) / Keyhole Delete / Euro Fog Switch (Pending) / All Weather Mats & Liner /
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #179
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320iA

My F30 also has rusty seats (april delivery 2012)

Dealer said: yes is possible due to moisture from rain.....
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #180
jrob
Bimmer God
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
hmm i just checked mine and there are some rust spots on the pan part, but not the hinge.

i guess ill have to ask them about it when i get them to switch the automatic stop start to save
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonE90-NL View Post
My F30 also has rusty seats (april delivery 2012)

Dealer said: yes is possible due to moisture from rain.....
Did the fire alarm go off at the BMW factory and the sprinklers shower water on all the components then? Hopefully it isn't due to lower grade steel components as this means many other areas of the car could be susceptible.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #181
AWF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw f30 m sport

Guess that voids the warranty for this fella
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #182
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
That is really bad, have you called the dealer yet?
UPDATE!

I called the dealer on Thursday morning... They apparently hadnt heard of the problem yet... They wanted me to bring it in asap so they could take a look at it. So, I took it in Friday morning and the service guy took a look at it and was like 'well the seat is working fine isnt it?' ..and I said 'yea, for now, my car is two weeks old...' he basically said to me 'so, whats the problem then?' and I was like 'THERES RUST IN MY CAR! THATS THE PROBLEM!' ...idiot... Anyway, he went to get the head shop guy and that guy was super nice about it.. took pics and said he would call BMW and see what they need to do about it.. (I also found rust on my hinges btw)

He called me back later that day and said that they were going to be replacing the seat frames on both seats... and that they would call me when the parts come in mid next week... Im happy that they are stepping up and taking care of it as they should. I did go ahead and write BMW directly to explain the issue and said that I know its been brought to their attention before and that I hope they do the right thing and issue a recall or something to fix the issue.

If they dont then frankly it will be their problem in 3 years when they get all these lease returns back with rusted out seat bottoms...

I will post again with pics once the issue is fully resolved. I also told BMW that this whole situation has put a bad taste in my mouth about the quality of their product these days. This is my first BMW and if they step up and fix this, then my faith will be restored.. but it makes my opinion of them a little shaky as for now... I told them I may have to go back to Audi if this is what I can expect from them..

I still love my car , and once the rust is gone I will be happy! I hope everyone else checks their seats and gets it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #183
jrob
Bimmer God
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat84 View Post
UPDATE!

I called the dealer on Thursday morning... They apparently hadnt heard of the problem yet... They wanted me to bring it in asap so they could take a look at it. So, I took it in Friday morning and the service guy took a look at it and was like 'well the seat is working fine isnt it?' ..and I said 'yea, for now, my car is two weeks old...' he basically said to me 'so, whats the problem then?' and I was like 'THERES RUST IN MY CAR! THATS THE PROBLEM!' ...idiot... Anyway, he went to get the head shop guy and that guy was super nice about it.. took pics and said he would call BMW and see what they need to do about it.. (I also found rust on my hinges btw)

He called me back later that day and said that they were going to be replacing the seat frames on both seats... and that they would call me when the parts come in mid next week... Im happy that they are stepping up and taking care of it as they should. I did go ahead and write BMW directly to explain the issue and said that I know its been brought to their attention before and that I hope they do the right thing and issue a recall or something to fix the issue.

If they dont then frankly it will be their problem in 3 years when they get all these lease returns back with rusted out seat bottoms...

I will post again with pics once the issue is fully resolved. I also told BMW that this whole situation has put a bad taste in my mouth about the quality of their product these days. This is my first BMW and if they step up and fix this, then my faith will be restored.. but it makes my opinion of them a little shaky as for now... I told them I may have to go back to Audi if this is what I can expect from them..

I still love my car , and once the rust is gone I will be happy! I hope everyone else checks their seats and gets it fixed.
Glad they're taking care of you! All the reorganizing of the 3 and 4 series and all the different variations to compete with the likes of Audi etc aren't going to do a bit of good if BMW's image of making high quality products that they stand behind ever gets tarnished by something like this. I hope they aggressively deal with this problem in the productions stages.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #184
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

Damn, I have also rust under my seats. My car was produced in august, need to check with my dealer if they can fix this .
Attached Images

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #185
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat84 View Post
UPDATE!

I actually wrote BMW first. They actually replied and asked me for my VIN number and number of miles on the car, so hopefully I hear more from them next week.

I don't want some random fix a dealer comes up with , like cleaning rust off and spray painting my seat frames or something so I'm waiting until BMW has a real fix. Good to see that some dealers are replacing the seats though I'm hoping the replacement parts do not have the same defect.

That said it seems like BMW isn't just glossing over this. My last car (an Audi, and the last VW product I'll ever buy) had some issues that the dealers would tell basically everyone who had the issues (lots of owners had the same issue, which turned out to be defective piston rings causing oil burning) were normal and I'm hoping BMW doesnt try that garbage here.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #186
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
they aren't doing anything about it. Not repairing it. Not sanding it. Not painting it.

Rust is a CHEMICAL reaction. After time, it corrodes. Perforates. And by then the warranty will long be over. That's why we are all freaking out. I'm not buying a new seat rail at 90k when I identified the problem at 4k. Not to mention resale issues.
No man according to some self-described chemists on this very thread, surface rust can't spread so there's nothing to worry about
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #187
hans007
Major
Rep

well BMW customer care called me and told me to take it to a dealer and that they hadn't heard of it. and to call them back and tell them which dealer i took it to.

mine is not quite as bad as swampcat84 though its pretty close to that. Scheduled the dealer to check it out tommorrow morning, and hopefully they make it a pretty smooth replacement.

Last edited by hans007; 12-10-2012 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #188
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

BMW Canada customer care called me after I sent an e-mail to them. They basically said they rely on the dealer to assess if the problem is "normal" or not. They asked which dealer I took it to and they offered to contact them to determine the reasons why they deemed it was "normal". I hope they will be able to figure out a solution for me, but I'm losing hope at this point based on their stance. Please, if you also have this issue contact your dealer or head office for your country. Maybe if more people complain about it, they'll realize the problem is wide spread and they'll issue a recall for it!

Last edited by lewishamilton; 12-10-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #189
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I don't want some random fix a dealer comes up with , like cleaning rust off and spray painting my seat frames or something so I'm waiting until BMW has a real fix.
Um... that is a "real fix?" I've fixed plenty of rusty parts like that! Don't tell my old Studebaker that I haven't fixed it correctly!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #190
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Um... that is a "real fix?" I've fixed plenty of rusty parts like that! Don't tell my old Studebaker that I haven't fixed it correctly!
i guess what i meant is, i dont want them to just make up something that might mean i have to come back yet again for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #191
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got an email response from BMW today saying that I was going to be getting a call from them so they can discuss the issue further with me.. I missed their call today while I was at work, but I am going to call them tomm and discuss this with them at length... I know they are clearly getting a lot of emails about this exact issue.. so at some point they are going to have to step up to the plate. Im still wait to hear back from the dealer and get my seat frames replaced. Ill update later in the week when they get fixed (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #192
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

I have not checked yet with my dealer about the rust issue, must wait till i get my winter tyres. Does anyone know if they will replace the parts or what they are going to do about this rust issue?

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #193
hans007
Major
Rep

well i just dropped mine off at the closest dealer (though not the place i bought it).

They seemed to initially think i was crazy bringing a car with 500 miles on it to them to get looked at. I am getting ready to have to go through a hassle to get this fixed, but hopefully not.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #194
hans007
Major
Rep

The dealer I took it to is saying something about it being chemical residue from spot welds and that the other cars on their lot had it too so it is normal. So I told them its because all of the cars built before November have it.

Such a pile of crap to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #195
Hivetyrant
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 328i - Sports

I discovered this forum and thread yesterday and just knew I would be another victim, alas I was right

Mines not too bad (yet) but this is still disappointing.

Will bring it up early and ask that they deal with it during the cars first service, wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #196
hans007
Major
Rep

well yet another update. so they decided to just keep my car to program the computer (i think it was the wiper thing and something else, the SA didnt seem to know or didnt care). They said they wont replace my seats because it seems minor and BMW doesnt have a bulletin or something they can't replace it under warranty and said if BMW has a bulletin to do it they will (i'm assuming they are worried BMW won't pay for it). So I guess everyone who has an f30 you should complain to your dealers / write BMW customer care etc. I'm going to call customer care and tell them my situation and i advise you all to do the same.

Anyway they give me a loaner. a nice loaner by the way. a 2000 miles 2013 sport line, sport auto, pdc, premium, tech. It has even worse rust than my car! So silver lining for me I get an extended drive in a car since mine isnt broken in. This is santa monica BMW is a pretty small dealership. This greatly beats the 2 times santa monica audi gave me loaners in the last year (a yaris and a corolla, i was big pimpin')

Last edited by hans007; 12-11-2012 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #197
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

My 9/12 build has rust under the seat as well. But has anyone looked for that on any car in the past? Still doesn't sit well....Pun intended. SOB

Last edited by snowghost; 12-12-2012 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #198
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
What's the number for BMWNA customer service?

Got it back from dealer and they said this is expected because it's unpainted.

Umm. The underside of my BMW isn't painted and has no rust. WTF.

We need to all call and complain to get this taken care of!
SEND THEM AN EMAIL! I agree, if we get as many people to contact them (and many already have, including me) about this issue then they will hopefully step up to the plate!
Appreciate 0