F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > SoonerJohnInDallas' F30 European Delivery Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

02-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic Artist View Post
I will have a 35mm film Nikon FM3a (mostly using Velvia & Neopan 400), Nikon D7000 DSLR, and a GoPro Hero2 Video Cam. Hopefully, that would be plenty of good quality car pr0n for you
Damn, I've been outdone on cameras. :-( I'll be shooting with a Canon T1i D-SLR with my 'vacation lens' (Sigma 18-200mm w/ image stabilization - I consider it my 'I can do a decent job on any shot with one lens' lens. :-) ), and a Canon SD1100 point-and-shoot, and an iPhone 4. Got to have a camera option handy at all times, ya know.

Last edited by SoonerJohnInDallas; 02-29-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #24
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Most of the way there. Sitting in the Brittish Airways lounge at Heathrow waiting for the flight from London to Munich. Flight over was uneventful. First time on a 747 since all my previous long haul trips have been on 767 or 777. Also first time across the pond on BA instead of AA. Food and service were very good. Their business class (Club World) seats are nice - was a little strange facing backward though. Got about 4 hours of sleep, so I should be able to have a reasonably normal day and turn in early tonight for the big day tomorrow.

Photo of the wing of my plane and another BA 747 in the background while sitting on the tarmac waiting for our arrival gate to open up (iPhone 4 pic, so not the greatest quality):
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #25
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas View Post
Most of the way there. Sitting in the Brittish Airways lounge at Heathrow waiting for the flight from London to Munich. Flight over was uneventful. First time on a 747 since all my previous long haul trips have been on 767 or 777. Also first time across the pond on BA instead of AA. Food and service were very good. Their business class (Club World) seats are nice - was a little strange facing backward though. Got about 4 hours of sleep, so I should be able to have a reasonably normal day and turn in early tonight for the big day tomorrow.

Photo of the wing of my plane and another BA 747 in the background while sitting on the tarmac waiting for our arrival gate to open up (iPhone 4 pic, so not the greatest quality):
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HM...34014B03DD.JPG
I seriously love 747's but only flew them between Europe and China, between the US and Europe I usually fly B777's or A330's. BA seems to be good indeed, I hardly use them (only did between London and Amsterdam when I lived there) but my family flies with them when they come to visit me and they had no complaints about them either.

Just a small flight now to Münich, you're almost there!

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
npgatech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

SJID just sent me a message - we're staying in the same hotel now in downtown Munich w00t! PARTY!!!!!!!!

John, have a great flight and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic Artist View Post
SJID just sent me a message - we're staying in the same hotel now in downtown Munich w00t! PARTY!!!!!!!!

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I made it the rest of the way to Munich without any issues and am now down to just inside of 13 hours to actual car delivery time. I'd be much more excited right now if I weren't, so d@mn tired!

Here are a few pics from looking around Munich a little this afternoon. Nothing too exciting from a photography standpoint - was too tired - so just some simple snapshots...

My hotel for the first two nights. Nothing fancy, but it's a clean 3-star on e edge of the city center and the price was very reasonable:

Old/New Town Hall @ Marienplatz:

Outside of Frauenkirche. (Renovation taking place on the other tower, so this was the best exterior shot I could get.):

And a quick shot of the interior. That thing is MUCH larger than I remembered from my prior trip to Munich (12 years ago):

Seriously??!!!???

Of course I *had* to swing by Hofbräuhaus for a brew:

Couldn't resist a photo of the police car. Blows my mind when I come to Europe and see Bimmers and MB's used as taxi's, police cars, etc:

By this time tomorrow, you'll all get to see the photos you're really waiting for. Delivery and the car!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #29
npgatech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Seems like the weather is cloudy Hope it improves in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Rest Well! Tomorrow is gonna be one filled up day full of excitements!!! Please do report back ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
328i4me
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Congrats on the getting the new car, ED sounds like a blast! Looking forward to seeing all your pics!!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #32
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's 1:28am. I can't sleep! Wish I had remembered to pack the Tylenol PM. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #33
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Woohoo, very exciting for you. Will check back this thread often. Love seeing Euro delivery pics.
      02-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #34
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Awesome pics!

Good luck with the sleep, guess there's a bit of jetlag and some excitement stopping you from sleeping

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
fookie
Rep
Drives: Uber-wagen

Have fun tomorrow! I can't wait to see your delivery pics!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #36
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The day has finally come... DELIVERY DAY!!! It's 8:00 now and I have a 9:00 check-in with delivery at 10:30. About to head out, but wanted to post on here quickly first.

A few timing items that people might find interesting:
  • Number of days since I signed my PO: 34
  • Number of days since I got ED date confirmation: 106
  • Number of days since I first contacted my CA (Adrian Avila): 110
  • Number of days since I decided I would take ED of an F30 as soon as possible: 410!
  • Number of days since I last owned a BMW: 1,950 (I know, I know!) That's 5 yrs and 4 mths, btw

I'm off to the Welt...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #37
328i4me
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas View Post
The day has finally come... DELIVERY DAY!!! It's 8:00 now and I have a 9:00 check-in with delivery at 10:30. About to head out, but wanted to post on here quickly first.

A few timing items that people might find interesting:
  • Number of days since I signed my PO: 34
  • Number of days since I got ED date confirmation: 106
  • Number of days since I first contacted my CA (Adrian Avila): 110
  • Number of days since I decided I would take ED of an F30 as soon as possible: 410!
  • Number of days since I last owned a BMW: 1,950 (I know, I know!) That's 5 yrs and 4 mths, btw

I'm off to the Welt...
WOW! You've waited a long time to own another BMW!! Have a blast at the delivery, cant wait to see all the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #38
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Love this thread. It's like BMW's version of National Lampoon's European Vacation!

So excited for you, ED is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #39
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

This is a geat thread, SJID, enjoy your stay.

Been there three times before.

Also to an industrial zone called Flossergasse where Willy König had his tuning factory KOENIG SPECIALS back then(Ferraris Testarossa with 800-1000BHP, we're talking about more than 20 years ago)

Zum Wohl

Tschüss
Robin
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

WOW! What an exciting - and quick day! I had a BLAST, but it really was a bit of a whirlwind. Photos uploading right now, so they will be posted ASAP (although the hotel WiFi sucks, so I may have to only post a few for now). But I'll share some thoughts while awaiting file uploads...

First, about doing ED (then we'll get to the car):
  • ANYONE who is a BMW enthusiast should do at least one ED. Hell, you don't even have to be an enthusiast - if you're just looking to buy a new BMW, by all means do an ED!
  • The Welt and the Premium Lounge is all really cool!
  • The food in the Premium Lounge is pretty dang good!
  • The factory tour was awesome! Especially so since I got to seem them making the cars just like mine. It actually blows my mind that anyone is able to produce a high quality automobile when you witness all that's involved and think about how quickly they go through the process - she said it takes right at 40 hours to produce a 3er. 7er's take the longest at ~52 hours.
  • The gift shop in the Welt isn't all that great, IMHO
  • I wasn't all that impressed with the Museum either - but then again I'm not much of a musuem type - and I had my brand new baby across the street waiting for me to give it some driving love :-)
Now the car (in no particular order - just scatter-shooting - and I'm sure I'll think of lots more):
  • LOVE IT!!!
  • Mineral Grey is gorgeous!!! All that time I spent wondering if it was the right choice was in vain!
  • HUD is *very* cool - love how you can scroll through playlist/album/whatever and choose songs on it.
  • My first car with iDrive - it'll take a little time to learn to be efficient with it
  • Auto Start/Stop - it's not as smooth as I'd expected. The car shudders a little when it shuts off and lunges a little when it starts back up. I still think it's a good idea and I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly, but not as refined as I'd hoped.
  • Seats, trim, leather, etc are all as expected - nicely done.
  • Key fob is not as huge as it looks in some of the photos :-)
  • Comfort Access opening of the trunk is actually quite simple - you just have to pull your foot all the way back and step away from the car a step so there's no chance of it still 'seeing' you there
  • Camera package on car is cool!
  • I managed to keep it under the recommended 4,500 RPM's all but once while driving on the A8 today
  • Can't quite say the same for staying under 100mph as recommended for break-in. It just wants to go! I hit 140 twice. :-) Incredible how quickly it'll shoot from 75-100mph without even pushing it at all!
  • HK premium sound system is very nice! I cranked it up with rock, classical, country, etc and they all sounded great - and that was with only a simple trebble/bass adjustment - I'll deal with the full equilizer later.
  • I know there are LOTS of other things I'm not saying now - will update as I think of others

I think that's it for now. I'll start sharing pics as soon as they're uploaded.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Where are you while uploading the pics ?? Hotel or Welt or Else !!

Thanks for sharing so quickly... have you met up with the other F30 ED

By the way?? Were you really the very first F30 ED owner?? did the people at the welt do anything special for you?

And were you able to specify which time of the day you wanted to take delivery of your car?
when was that process taking place??

I want to take my car early afternoon, so that i have the morning to the go through the museum (without rushing because my car is waiting outside in the street LOL)
how long did it take you to visit the museum??

Please feed us more!!

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 03-01-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Please feed us more!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #42
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Answering the 'was I first question'... I never expected to be the first F30 delivery because I knew there would be people from Europe doing deliveries before me, etc. But I thought I would be the first from the US to do ED through BMW NA. And I'm still not sure about that. There was somebody else who took delivery of a white Sport Line a little before me and it had a tourist plate that was 1 number lower than mine (mine = M1235Z. his = M1234Z), so I'm guessing he was likely a BMW NA ED and I got beat by one guy. But apparently that guy isn't a poster on BimmerFest or on BimmerPost, so he doesn't really count, does he? :-)

Otherwise - the uploads aren't going well. Here is at least one photo of the delivery:
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #43
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Brilliant thread, thanks so much for sharing the experience. Looks fantastic.
Love that car too, so much time for mineral grey!! Enjoy the drive...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #44
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

That's one happy BMW owner. Good stuff.

Hey John, what size wheels are those? And what tires did you get?
Appreciate 0