F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Light blue "shadow" in the instrument cluster
Extreme Powerhouse

01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I don't have any noticeable back light leakage on my display either.

OLED's are not designed for the conditions of a motor vehicle. Automotive LCD displays are much stricter because they need to function in ultra low temperatures and scalding hot temps. Most cell phones and other small LCD's don't have anywhere near the operating temp range needed. Be thankful that it's such a crisp and high res LCD compared to most competitive vehicles. My '08 TL was still using a QVGA display...I might as well have had a Nintendo hooked up to it the quality was so bad.
      01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Joopster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
People complaining about things like this on BMWs always make me cry. Go buy a Ford Fusion or sth. I look at the "extended display" exactly 0 times while driving, since all the important stuff is on the HUD, and that "rectangle" around the HUD doesn't bother me at all. Drive the 3 series like a driver, not a god damned accountant.
I didn't get the HUD (no regrets) and I look at the extended display all the time. I'm not an accountant but the details still matter greatly to me. Is the F30 perfect in the details? Certainly not. But I'm still pretty happy with it compared to other "lesser" cars. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to the details. I'm sure I'll complain when the perfect red stitching on my steering wheel begins to show the smallest loose thread. But I certainly won't cry, I'll just get the steering wheel replaced.

I think many people here care about the finer details on their BMW!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #25
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooFoo View Post
It is a mass-produced, mainstream car. It is devoid of "finer details."

Turning the brightness to its lowest setting will decrease the contrast between the screen and surrounding bezel, as already pointed out.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
Joopster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
It is a mass-produced, mainstream car. It is devoid of "finer details."
You make the car sound like a mass-produced McDonald's hamburger. You completely missed my point here.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Your asserted point is simple and easy to comprehend. I merely disagree.

I am not particularly awed by a $50,000 mass produced car. Your impression is obviously different.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooFoo View Post
I didn't get the HUD (no regrets) and I look at the extended display all the time. I'm not an accountant but the details still matter greatly to me. Is the F30 perfect in the details? Certainly not. But I'm still pretty happy with it compared to other "lesser" cars. I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to the details. I'm sure I'll complain when the perfect red stitching on my steering wheel begins to show the smallest loose thread. But I certainly won't cry, I'll just get the steering wheel replaced.

Point is, this is a 40-50k BMW, not a super-car or bespoke car. Unfortunately, in this age a 40-50k car isn't what it used to be, due to inflation and increasing demands of what a "base" car must include (auto windows, power steering and brakes, leather/leatherette seating, etc). Even a fully equipped Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camry costs almost $40k.

BMW has done an amazing job (or terrible if you're an elitist snob, terrible) of keeping the 3 series affordable. However, the flip side is that you can't expect ultimate quality and flawless perfection from it anymore. It's an amazing car still for it's price range, but you can't demand perfection. You'd have to look at the Alpina B7 for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser
An OLED/AMOLED would have blended right in.

It's these kinds of detail I would expect from a premium car..
OLED and its derivatives such as AMOLED run the risk of burn ins and moreover not guaranteed to last the lifetime of the car itself.
      01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #30
Frencholivier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI :)

I actually would also have expected more attention to details at this price range. Audi does, and the Japanese all do too, in each case at a lower price point.
From there you have only three options:
1. BMW did not realize that customers today want a rattle and problem free car at this price range.
2. BMW does not know how to take care of details, like the screen blackness
3. BMW does not want to be maniacal about details, say to keep costs down
4. BMW knows and wants to better take care of details but it prefers to invest that money somewhere else, say in the car handling/dynamics.

To me only #4 would be acceptable. If BMW were to clearly outshine its rivals in handling that's fine. But I fear that BMW has to step up its game on reliability and fit/finish or else they will infuriate generations of drivers.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
I actually would also have expected more attention to details at this price range. Audi does, and the Japanese all do too, in each case at a lower price point.
From there you have only three options:
1. BMW did not realize that customers today want a rattle and problem free car at this price range.
2. BMW does not know how to take care of details, like the screen blackness
3. BMW does not want to be maniacal about details, say to keep costs down
4. BMW knows and wants to better take care of details but it prefers to invest that money somewhere else, say in the car handling/dynamics.

To me only #4 would be acceptable. If BMW were to clearly outshine its rivals in handling that's fine. But I fear that BMW has to step up its game on reliability and fit/finish or else they will infuriate generations of drivers.
Ultimately it comes down to this: If you don't like BMW for whatever reason (oh no, the display's too bright and annoys me!), don't buy a BMW. Go buy an Audi or Honda or Toyota or Nissan or w/e.

Me, I've never seen/driven an Audi or Jap car that, in the words of Top Gear, "reached down my pants and gave it a little rummage" for the price range of the 3 series. And until that changes, I'm sticking with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Ultimately it comes down to this: If you don't like BMW for whatever reason (oh no, the display's too bright and annoys me!), don't buy a BMW. Go buy an Audi or Honda or Toyota or Nissan or w/e.

Me, I've never seen/driven an Audi or Jap car that, in the words of Top Gear, "reached down my pants and gave it a little rummage" for the price range of the 3 series. And until that changes, I'm sticking with BMW.
True dat.

Every car has at least some flaws. It could be design, reliability, ride, price, durability -- whatever.

The thing that keeps me coming back to the 3 Series -- not the 5 and, oh no, never the 7 -- is that it is on balance the best car I've ever driven. To paraphrase Car and Driver, you could spend more to go a little faster (or get a completely blacked-out extended display) or a little less to save some coin, but nothing else comes close to the 3's overall capabilities, engineering and fun.

Every time I get in my car (less often these days because I don't drive it in the snow), I marvel at it. It's mostly a computer these days -- the wheels are largely there to prevent the computers from scraping the ground -- and it's the most bitchin' computer with wheels I have ever been in or driven.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
Quote:

True dat.

Every car has at least some flaws. It could be design, reliability, ride, price, durability -- whatever.

The thing that keeps me coming back to the 3 Series -- not the 5 and, oh no, never the 7 -- is that it is on balance the best car I've ever driven. To paraphrase Car and Driver, you could spend more to go a little faster (or get a completely blacked-out extended display) or a little less to save some coin, but nothing else comes close to the 3's overall capabilities, engineering and fun.

Every time I get in my car (less often these days because I don't drive it in the snow), I marvel at it. It's mostly a computer these days -- the wheels are largely there to prevent the computers from scraping the ground -- and it's the most bitchin' computer with wheels I have ever been in or driven.
Have you driven the baby veyron gtr? 991 with antiroll program? Those are amazing computers! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:38 AM   #34
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

First world problems.

Like marrying a supermodel then telling her she needs to get that mole removed because you just can't stand it.