F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Seats vs. Regular Seats
proTUNING Freaks

11-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I don't like the F30 sport seats. The side bolsters felt like two rocks digging into my sides, and I'm not a very big person.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
I envy Canada!
Even with the price they pay?
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
I've been driving with E46 sport seats for 7 years now. There is no going back to bench seats. The adjustable hamstring support is worth it alone. The hugginess factor is huge in the curves. I notice that in other cars, with bench seats, I simply do more work fighting physics.
i agree.

i had sport seats with that hamstring support on my audi, and it made it so much better on long 4-5 hour type drives.

there was no way i was ever not getting that again. have them on my new f30 and these seats are even better since they seem to have better thigh bolsters than the audi ones. might suck if you are fat or something, but if not, great seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I really wanted the sports suspension, the paddle shifters and the 155mph limit.

But I could not stand (actually sit in) the sport seats. I am not at all on the heavier side, but the sports seats made me feel too uncomfortable. My thigh became numb due to the pinching pressure. To me it crossed the line from "snug" to "uncomfortably tight". The regular "comfort" seats are much more comfortable, though maybe not great for tracking as most people who track have made it clear in this thread.

I was forced to go for the base model just due to the uncomfortable sports seat.
I do realize though that I am in the minority when it comes to this topic.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

i don't track so it didn't make sense for me on this car...now an M2, would make sense for sports seats there..

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

I had the non sport seats in my 2008 335xi and now have the sport seats in my 2013 335 xdrive. Both seats are very comfortable.....the sport seats look better and the bolsters hold you in better in corners but both seats feel great in normal every day driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #29
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Imperial 328i

I find the sports seats not quite as comfortable on trips as those on the family lexus.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #30
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

I have the sport seats with adjustable lumbar and they're great! I had a 328i loaner for the day with the normal non-sports seats and I just couldn't get comfortable in it, lack of support in the thighs and back. I think the padding was softer though with less form.

Took a 7 hr nonstop drive in the sport seats, no problems. The thigh extender really helped.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #31
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

More people prefer the sport seats so far, but there's a surprising amount of *support* for the standard seats, too, especially given that this is an enthusiast forum.................
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #32
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Sports were uncomfortable for me. I recommend you don't take my or anyone's world test drive both.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire
More people prefer the sport seats so far, but there's a surprising amount of *support* for the standard seats, too, especially given that this is an enthusiast forum.................
I track mine with no sport seats just fine. Going again on the 15th. But its just hard to find the right position at first but once you do its fine. I have to have the base angle upwards at the knees a little so that im not sliding around but once im zoned in i dont feel any side to side. Go sit in real racing seats the side bolsters might as well be called sidewalls. Now those i would take.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

irony,

I know what you mean about this part of the decision being difficult. Like you, I preferred the Luxury and Modern lines to the Sport line, but I was concerned after reading about so many people praising the sport seats.

When I went to the dealer to order my car, we spent about an hour discussing and looking at the options (besides my many hours of online research). When I told the CA that the seats were a big concern because of my commute, he said, "Then go with the sport seats, no question". That wasn't really what I wanted to hear, but I took him seriously. I told him I needed to compare the two, and he said, "sure, there's two 3's right there (in the showroom). One is a Sport line."

I didn't like the side bolstering (though the few times I've been pushing it on mountain roads I can see where it would be really nice). The adjustable thigh/hamstring thingy was nice, but otherwise, I didn't feel much difference.

Unfortunately, the batteries were disconnected in both cars, so I couldn't make any realistic adjustments, and here is my advice to you:

Make sure you take a Sport Line on a long test drive, and then take a Modern or Luxury out. (For some odd reason, I've found over the years that when comparing two things, if you go from better to worse, it's much easier to tell than if you go from worse to better. So start with the Sport and see if the Luxury is a downgrade.) Don't do what I did; I regret not insisting that we take a Sport line out for a drive because I didn't want to be a pain.

I think the leather seats in my Modern line are pretty comfortable, but nothing amazing. I wonder sometimes how the sports seats would be on my drive, and really wish I'd done a proper test drive... At least then I'd know.

By the way, aside from the bolstering and the thigh support, does anyone know exactly what the other differences are? Are the padding materials the same?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #35
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, padding is the same for economies of scale, they just have a thicker bolster on bottom and side pads.

I did want the thigh extender on my base, but didn't want the rest of the glam of the Sports...the lumbar on my premium package is nice, but when I toss into corners, a bolster would be nice.

Honestly, when I had sport seats, my legs being "forced together" and squishing my junk got a little annoying. Coupled with a thick winter jacket, I thought I'd give the regular seats a try and I'm not too disappointed.

For reference, I'm 5'10"/195 with broad shoulders (chest 44/waist 33)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
I'm in the camp that can't do without the Sport seats. I've had them in my e46 for 11 years and they're every extremely comfortable on long trips.

When I drove the F30 without the sport seats, I found the lack of lateral support and the short seat base without extendable thigh bolster fairly UNcomfortable. When I hopped into the sport line, it was a drastic improvement. I was, however, surprised to find that the F30's sport seats are noticeably tighter than the e46's, so remember to adjust the side bolster outward if it's too tight or digging in to your back.

Also, not to derail the focus on the seats, but unless you're planning to get an xDrive, remember that there are suspension differences between the sport and non-sport cars. The decreased ride height and stiffer springs will mean a difference in the handling and ride. That might make just as much of a difference to you as the seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I've never tried the non sport seats, but can't fathom how someone could find them uncomfortable. They have 254233525 different adjustable settings that, at least one of which, would satisfy 99% of the population.

I'm a bit on the thin side 5'9 150, so some of my settings would be tight for a lot of folks, but once you dial it in, they're pretty darn good, whether it be a 10 min spirited drive or a 6 hour road trip on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #38
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
The regular "comfort" seats are much more comfortable, though maybe not great for tracking as most people who track have made it clear in this thread.
The 'sport" seats provide only a bit more support; they are far from track or race seats. Thus, buy that in which you are comfortable - regardless of what might be best for an open track day.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #39
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Are the regular seats truly deficient, or just "not as nice" as the sport seats?

I have an E90 with regular seats, and I have no special physical requirements. I have the most average 55 year old body build in North America: 5'10", 150 pounds. I'm the Bob Newhart of BMW drivers.

I've found my E90 seats to be totally unnoticeable over the last 2 years. That may be a good thing? I mean, I don't think of them at all, on short trips or long trips, on curves or straightaways. They aren't special, but they work.

I had an F30 328xi to test for two days. It was a Sport Line and it had Coral Red sport seats. I DID notice them. They were tight about my shoulders, even with adjustment. I felt less tension than I've apparently been used to in my upper body while driving. They LOCKED me in place. Now, of course, by comparison, I realize that I've been sliding around a bit in my E90.

Over short distances, the sport buckets were great. I have to wonder if that might be confining or uncomfortable over 2 or 3 hour trips?

My lease is up fairly soon. I want an F30. I actually prefer a Luxury or Modern Line car, but . . . not if I think I prefer the sport seats, in which case I would be (mildly) forced against my will into a Sport or M Sport that don't quite appeal to me as much aesthetically, although they'd be okay.

I don't drive like a maniac, but a regular drive of mine takes me 30 minutes up and down an exceedingly el twistola highway.

The real problem is that I like the Luxury Line, but the seats are the issue.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank BMW USA for making this, and many other option decisions, unnecessarily difficult, joyless, and stressful with their cockamamie LINES b.s. After all, it's not like there are other car companies out there that want my business, eh?

What would YOU do? Go for looks or function in this case?
In general, car manufacturers strive for the bland, unnoticeable, description you gave.

Why?

Because any attempt at real comfort has the unwanted effect of potentially inducing sleep. That's a no no from a design standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironysatire View Post
Are the regular seats truly deficient, or just "not as nice" as the sport seats?

I have an E90 with regular seats, and I have no special physical requirements. I have the most average 55 year old body build in North America: 5'10", 150 pounds. I'm the Bob Newhart of BMW drivers.

I've found my E90 seats to be totally unnoticeable over the last 2 years. That may be a good thing? I mean, I don't think of them at all, on short trips or long trips, on curves or straightaways. They aren't special, but they work.

I had an F30 328xi to test for two days. It was a Sport Line and it had Coral Red sport seats. I DID notice them. They were tight about my shoulders, even with adjustment. I felt less tension than I've apparently been used to in my upper body while driving. They LOCKED me in place. Now, of course, by comparison, I realize that I've been sliding around a bit in my E90.

Over short distances, the sport buckets were great. I have to wonder if that might be confining or uncomfortable over 2 or 3 hour trips?

My lease is up fairly soon. I want an F30. I actually prefer a Luxury or Modern Line car, but . . . not if I think I prefer the sport seats, in which case I would be (mildly) forced against my will into a Sport or M Sport that don't quite appeal to me as much aesthetically, although they'd be okay.

I don't drive like a maniac, but a regular drive of mine takes me 30 minutes up and down an exceedingly el twistola highway.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank BMW USA for making this, and many other option decisions, unnecessarily difficult, joyless, and stressful with their cockamamie LINES b.s. After all, it's not like there are other car companies out there that want my business, eh?

You have to be comfortable in the car. To me it's a priority before which engine or which other options.
Drive both versions, don't just sit in them, and absolutely make sure you play with all the settings, especially the side bolsters and lumbar.

I'm quite a bit larger than you in every dimension.
I find the standard seats to be ok or adequate, but not supportive.
They are comfortable enough, but I feel more comfortable in the sport seats, and on long drives they are fantastic.

I have to have the side bolsters set to 0 minimum, meaning deflated all the way. Lumbar is also at 0, though sometimes I'll add just a bit if my lower back is acting up, but the basic seat shape handles lumbar pretty well, better than the previous sport seats in my 135i and E46 325i.
Let extension fully out.
It took me nearly a month to finally get the right settings and for my body to mold the padding to fit me. Due to my back issues I still often fiddle with the adjustments, but with the standard seats I can't find the perfect setting at all and on cornering I have to really hold on to the steering wheel to hold myself in place.

If you are considering a sport line also consider the M adaptive suspension as it will allow you to have that nice softer yet controlled Lux line ride, and then firm it up when needed or wanted.
Typically I always have my adaptive set to firm/sport, but on long highway trips I've used "comfort" suspension setting and the highway ride is amazingly smooth and controlled.
You can get the M adaptive on any line though, so make sure you select the seats that fit you best.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I wouldn't consider an F30 (or F10 for that matter) with standard seats. I'll keep my E92 until BMW decides to offer its American customers sport seats in acceptable colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #42
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

Im lovin the sport seats
      12-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #43
Manan
India
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d, 3 series

Quote:

I have the F30 sport line since september 2012. I have the red ones like u mentioned. The sport seTs are just tool comfortable. Especially after u extend the under thigh support but u dont really need to. My longest trip has been 4 hours non stop. Excellent comfort. Go for the sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
teropa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530dA E60

Hi,

I am considering the sports seats too, but like others I found the sides too tight and restrictive. I have had E39s, E90, E60 etc. and sports seats were never this tight in any of the other models.

Can you adjust the tightness of the sides without selecting electric seats as an option?

Tero
Appreciate 0