F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > idrive controller knob mod.

05-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
anselansel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joq3 View Post
Please check my post right above yours and you can see there is a version for our type of iDrive knobs.
ok, i guess. I would caution these knobs(regardless of where you get them) look kinda cheap, buyer beware
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #24
John in VA
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xDrive

Does anyone have experience with this controller cover from Avin? I guess it will make more sense when I have it in hand, but the instructions seem weak (or perhaps it's me!).
https://avinusa.com/bmw-idrive-contr...ade-cover.html

01-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #25
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Does anyone have experience with this controller cover from Avin? I guess it will make more sense when I have it in hand, but the instructions seem weak (or perhaps it's me!).
https://avinusa.com/bmw-idrive-contr...ade-cover.html

That looks to be the same as eBay. I have this from eBay and it works great
      01-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
s2kvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Iíve seen some reviews on Amazon that the top arrow pad will rotate as you turn the dial... pratically defeating the purpose of having arrows. Does your top plate stay in place?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #27
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvee View Post
Iíve seen some reviews on Amazon that the top arrow pad will rotate as you turn the dial... pratically defeating the purpose of having arrows. Does your top plate stay in place?
my plate stays in place.i dont see how it would turn because the part that turns is not fixed to the top place. it spins on the collar of the part the top snaps into.
      01-16-2018, 01:18 AM   #28
s2kvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
my plate stays in place.i dont see how it would turn because the part that turns is not fixed to the top place. it spins on the collar of the part the top snaps into.
do you have a link on where you ordered yours?
      02-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Hey guys, here's one from a better known manufacturer. This has the ///M badge option too: https://avinusa.com/bmw-idrive-contr...ade-cover.html

Wondering if this will fit mine, which is the large wheel to begin with?
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | Alcantara ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:49 PM   #30
John in VA
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
Hey guys, here's one from a better known vendor. This has the ///M badge option too: https://avinusa.com/bmw-idrive-contr...ade-cover.html
Fixed that for you!
Looking up 5 posts, you'll see I asked the same question! I went through eBay, as suggested by wdeerfield, to save a few bucks. Well-packaged, all pieces included. I haven't had a chance to install it.
      02-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #31
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Fixed that for you!
Looking up 5 posts, you'll see I asked the same question! I went through eBay, as suggested by wdeerfield, to save a few bucks. Well-packaged, all pieces included. I haven't had a chance to install it.
Ahh right. Is your stock wheel the small size or large? Please post your results once you do install.

I'm thinking of getting the avin wheel only because it has the cool ///M badge which is backlit. And I heard it adds 3whp
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | Alcantara ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #32
John in VA
Captain
Rep

I purchased this one in early Feb for $18.19 with free shipping - looks the same as the Avin item. We have the smaller wheel on the '13 328i. I wish the instructions were more detailed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Repl...0/172630860338
      02-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #33
KC328_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I purchased this one in early Feb for $18.19 with free shipping - looks the same as the Avin item. We have the smaller wheel on the '13 328i. I wish the instructions were more detailed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Repl...0/172630860338
Love to see some photos of yours installed.
MG F30 328i / M-Performance Aerodynamics Package / M-Performance Big Brakes / M-Performance 340 Exhaust Retrofit / M-Performance Alcantara-CF Interior / M-Performance CF Mirror Covers / 437M Wheels / Continental Extreme Contact Sport Non-RFT / LCI Tail Light Retrofit / AP CF Front Lip / F80 CF Trunk Spoiler / Avin LCD Retrofit / JB4 (Map 1)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #34
KC328_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvee View Post
I’ve seen some reviews on Amazon that the top arrow pad will rotate as you turn the dial... pratically defeating the purpose of having arrows. Does your top plate stay in place?
Hey did you have some photos of it installed?
MG F30 328i / M-Performance Aerodynamics Package / M-Performance Big Brakes / M-Performance 340 Exhaust Retrofit / M-Performance Alcantara-CF Interior / M-Performance CF Mirror Covers / 437M Wheels / Continental Extreme Contact Sport Non-RFT / LCI Tail Light Retrofit / AP CF Front Lip / F80 CF Trunk Spoiler / Avin LCD Retrofit / JB4 (Map 1)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
IAmATeaf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hey guys, here's one from a better known manufacturer. This has the ///M badge option too: https://avinusa.com/bmw-idrive-contr...ade-cover.html

Donít think it will as the rotating bit goes over the top of the existing small wheel, the top cover is then stuck onto to existing top with what looks like double sided tape.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #36
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Donít think it will as the rotating bit goes over the top of the existing small wheel, the top cover is then stuck onto to existing top with what looks like double sided tape.
Too late, I already ordered one (albeit a cheaper one from ebay).

Let's see if I can make it work somehow.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #37
ill250
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30

I just installed mine. Instruction says to remove the original dial but I just fitted the new knob over my original in less than a minute. Overall looks much better than the small dial.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:50 AM   #38
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill250 View Post
I just installed mine. Instruction says to remove the original dial but I just fitted the new knob over my original in less than a minute. Overall looks much better than the small dial.

Was your original dial small or large? How did you fit the new one over the old?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #39
ill250
Private
Rep

Quote:

Was your original dial small or large? How did you fit the new one over the old?
My original dial was the small one. I didn't take apart the old dial like the instruction says. I slipped the ring over the small dial and the top piece has double sided tape underneath so you can stick it on top of your existing dial. People mentioned that the arrows turn while the knob turns but mine doesn't.

Heres the link to where I bought mine from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...53.m2749.l2649

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #40
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill250 View Post
My original dial was the small one. I didn't take apart the old dial like the instruction says. I slipped the ring over the small dial and the top piece has double sided tape underneath so you can stick it on top of your existing dial. People mentioned that the arrows turn while the knob turns but mine doesn't.

Heres the link to where I bought mine from:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...53.m2749.l2649
Looks good. But if you didn't remove the old dial, are your arrows backlit?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #41
ill250
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looks good. But if you didn't remove the old dial, are your arrows backlit?
The arrows aren't backlit at the moment because I didn't have anything sharp at the time to remove the old top cap. But yeah, you'll have to just remove the top cap (black piece) from the old dial otherwise the steps to installing is the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #42
akgambino
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport

Quote:

Doesn't say in the ad whether this works with the hu_entry knob with only 5 buttons or if it only works with the cic knob (7 buttons). Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #43
Mountain_Commando
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Doesn't say in the ad whether this works with the hu_entry knob with only 5 buttons or if it only works with the cic knob (7 buttons). Can anyone confirm?
Well I already ordered this (albeit from ebay), so guess I'll be guinea pig for this too.
Appreciate 0