F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "clunk" in the steering?
ARMA SPEED

10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #45
wtmeyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I have a 2012 335i with Sport Automatic, Adaptive M Suspension and no VSS. I get many loud clunks from the steering/suspension/chassis when traversing uneven pavement, primarily at lower speeds. The noises occur mostly on smaller, sharp bumps that upset the suspension. The chassis itself remains relatively calm, but from the sounds you would think the suspension was falling apart.

This is starting to drive me crazy. A BMW should not behave like this. I am planning to take it to the dealer to have it looked at, but from what I am hearing here the answer is going to be that the sounds are normal. This is really unacceptable.

If anyone has gotten a solution from BMW, please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #46
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Same problem here.
I've brought to the workshop twice, they can not find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #47
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The same tech who told me my steering doesn't lock because I have electric steering, also says that the slight "hiss" I hear from the left front damper on bumps, is caused due to "normal compression and decompression of the suspension".
Well, if I can hear air escaping, then I know that air can also get in.
That would be unfiltered air getting into the damper.
I haven't looked into exactly how the adaptive dampers are designed, but leaking air in and out doesn't seem "normal" to me, but I could be wrong.
How come you think it is air? It is oil in those dampers. If there was any kind of leakage you would surely notice it since there would be oil all over the place.

The damper has small holes where the oil passes and the size of those holes is varied by the adaptive damping system. Small holes makes the damper compress and decompress slowly and it would make more noise at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #48
atomicS
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sport SMB

My 2012 335 has been in the workshop for two weeks as they try to sort out this issue. Will keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #49
Mav74
Rep
Drives: 328i

It is the steering wheel unit, there is a new recent part number, just replacing mine now....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
How come you think it is air? It is oil in those dampers. If there was any kind of leakage you would surely notice it since there would be oil all over the place.

The damper has small holes where the oil passes and the size of those holes is varied by the adaptive damping system. Small holes makes the damper compress and decompress slowly and it would make more noise at the same time.
I don't know what is, that is why I wanted them to check, so that if there is a leak, they can spot it and document it.

Some noise/sound in a damper is acceptable.
If the damper get's compressed super fast and hard, the fluid will also need to move quickly in order to keep up. If the compression is too fast, then the fluid flow through the damper circuit/valves can make that sound due to how fast it needs to move through.

That too brings up my concern, because I have adaptive dampers that have electronically controlled valves that are supposed to respond, and quickly, to spring compression. I hear that light hiss even on some moderate bumps, which leads me to question if the system is working properly and quickly enough to respond to bumps.
Again, that's why I wanted them to look at it and at least note it, so that if a problem occurs later it will be documented, especially if it happens out of warranty.

They documented the clunk in the steering when the engine is shut off.
Well, now after 1800 miles, I am getting a light "clunk" in the steering wheel when the engine is running and I turn the wheel to a larger degree at low speeds, like manuvering in a parking lot. The steering never clunked when the engine was running, but now it has started to do it.
I think whatever was causing the clunk with no engine running has now become worse and there is now a clunk even when the engine is running.
So, I'll now need to take up more time taking it back to the dealer so they can diagnose this, which seems to be part of the original problem where they concluded, "no problem found". Maybe this time they will find it, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav74 View Post
It is the steering wheel unit, there is a new recent part number, just replacing mine now....
Can you add some specifics?
What were the symptoms in your car?
Is the problem there when the engine is running, not running, or both?

Do you have VSS?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #52
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

How soon did you people get these symptoms?

I got my F31 last week and I have msport adaptive chassis without VSS and I have no hissing I can hear, no clunk and no vibrations. I got the original 18 inch wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:06 AM   #53
Mav74
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Can you add some specifics?
What were the symptoms in your car?
Is the problem there when the engine is running, not running, or both?

Do you have VSS?

Thanks.
Clunk, especially turning right with the left suspension riding on a bump..occurs only while driving..yes VSS + active suspensions...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #54
SV77
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Mine has the new Part No. installed, but for my case it was not the solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #55
atomicS
Rep

Got my car back after 3 weeks in the workshop. Nothing solved fixed. Waiting for Germany to provide a solution. Hope to get it fixed or it'll be a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #56
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I'm going to say it again: THERE IS NO SOLUTION. I have experienced this already THREE TIMES. I've had my steering rack replaced THREE TIMES and in all cases it came back. And this has been in TWO DIFFERENT CARS. Either your car was built without the clunk, or it wasn't. End of story. I'd urge you to read up on the X3 discussion forums about this. Or you could just dick around with your service department while they try to tell you "we're working on it." Go ahead, waste time.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
How soon did you people get these symptoms?

I got my F31 last week and I have msport adaptive chassis without VSS and I have no hissing I can hear, no clunk and no vibrations. I got the original 18 inch wheels.
The 'clunk' in the steering when the engine is OFF, was there from day one.
I'm not at around 1800 miles and I do get an occasional 'clunk' when turning left or right, typically on 90 degree turns.
It's a light clunk but I can hear and feel it in the steering wheel.

The light "hiss" has also been there from when new, but it's not that loud nor does it happen over every bump, very occasional and frankly not a big deal. I just wanted the shop to note it.

No steering wheel vibrations while driving as some other owners have reported. The only time I have some steering wheel vibe is when the tires are cold, and it takes about 3-5 miles for the tires to warm up and all is normal no vibes. I've had this in other cars and it varies with different tire manufacturers. The tire gets like a "flat spot" after sitting for a while, but smooths out after it warms, it's normal, no big thing.
What others have reported is a steering wheel vibration typically starting between 45-65mpg and it's there even after a full warm up.
Some have a heavier vibe than others, and some have an oscillation vibe that comes and goes while driving.
Seems this type of vibration is there from new.

I too have OEM Msport 18's with Bridgestone S001 RFT's. Nice gripping tire, and it runs quiet. In the rain the grip is ok, not great.
I had a set of Conti DWS tires on my 135i and those AS tires had much better grip in the rain and wet pavement. There are non fun flats, and have a better over all ride as they are more compliant over bigger bumps.
RFT's have a decent ride quality but on big bumps and sharper bumps the chassis feels as if it's 'crashing' into them, quite harsh.
I'll be swapping out the OEM RFT's within a few weeks for a set of AS non RFT, likely the new Bridgestone RE970 AS.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #58
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I'm going to say it again: THERE IS NO SOLUTION. I have experienced this already THREE TIMES. I've had my steering rack replaced THREE TIMES and in all cases it came back. And this has been in TWO DIFFERENT CARS. Either your car was built without the clunk, or it wasn't. End of story. I'd urge you to read up on the X3 discussion forums about this. Or you could just dick around with your service department while they try to tell you "we're working on it." Go ahead, waste time.
That sucks. Doesn't bode well for getting a fix right now.
I can live with it as it's very light and occasional. But I fear it'll get worse.

Please post a link to that X3 discussion.
Much appreciated.

In your car, you don't have the steering vibration right?
You have an occasional 'clunk' when turning left or right?
Did the clunk start after some miles or from new?
Do you have VSS and adaptive suspension?
Also, you have an auto trans?

In my 335i the light clunk even happens on smooth pavement, like simply turning the wheel after a reverse stop in a parking lot. I reverse, stop, turn the wheel to make a left or right and there is a light clunk midway during turning the steering wheel.
For me, this just started.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #59
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
That sucks. Doesn't bode well for getting a fix right now.
I can live with it as it's very light and occasional. But I fear it'll get worse.

Please post a link to that X3 discussion.
Much appreciated.

In your car, you don't have the steering vibration right?
You have an occasional 'clunk' when turning left or right?
Did the clunk start after some miles or from new?
Do you have VSS and adaptive suspension?
Also, you have an auto trans?

In my 335i the light clunk even happens on smooth pavement, like simply turning the wheel after a reverse stop in a parking lot. I reverse, stop, turn the wheel to make a left or right and there is a light clunk midway during turning the steering wheel.
For me, this just started.
Yes, yes, yes, yes to all except the vibration. I've not had that. But everything else I've had. It was nonexistent for a week of ownership, then it grew progressively worse. Upon each replacement of the steering rack, it would show up after a week and then get progressively worse, just the same. Try driving over improperly sealed expansion joints or frost heaves. That's the sure way to do it. Steering wheel moves from what feels like aggressive (though totally normal) wheel hop. The car is perfectly safe, just incredibly annoying. I live in Chicago so the roads are terrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #60
atomicS
Rep

That is really sad. Hope a fix comes soon or they should replace it. Totally annoying to drive a vehicle with all the noises and clunks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #61
elrey21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive35i

Wow I'm glad I found this thread..... I have a 2012 328i Base Model AT ... Same noises over bumps, just discovered the sound when turning the wheel while the car is stationary and the car can be off or on ... You will hear the noise either way .... My car just came back from the dealer where they replaced the Left Hand front strut to which had no effect on the problem .... I'm inclined to email this thread to my SA but he seems so busy I doubt he'd read it ... I'm really disappointed because my 2011 loaner felt so much tighter over the bumps and has one of these clunks or noises or loose feeling .... I take my car to Park Avenue BMW in NJ if anybody knows a good Advisor personally that may be willing to take a close look at thi problem.
      10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #62
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey21 View Post
Wow I'm glad I found this thread..... I have a 2012 328i Base Model AT ... Same noises over bumps, just discovered the sound when turning the wheel while the car is stationary and the car can be off or on ... You will hear the noise either way .... My car just came back from the dealer where they replaced the Left Hand front strut to which had no effect on the problem .... I'm inclined to email this thread to my SA but he seems so busy I doubt he'd read it ... I'm really disappointed because my 2011 loaner felt so much tighter over the bumps and has one of these clunks or noises or loose feeling .... I take my car to Park Avenue BMW in NJ if anybody knows a good Advisor personally that may be willing to take a close look at thi problem.
Ask for the Service Manager or Shop Foreman.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #63
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep

My car only "clunk" on right front suspension over bump
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #64
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmawaa View Post
My car only "clunk" on right front suspension over bump
Have brought to service twice, clunk is still there.
Anyone has same problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #65
Bold Vitalic
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

In my case there is also a 'clunk' when turning steering wheel with the engine turned off. No vibrations or clunks while the engine is running.
The car is an F30 320d, VSS, sport suspension, AT, 1100km.
So now it's just a matter of time before clunking gets worse?
Any chance to switch steering rack to hydraulic?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #66
atomicS
Rep

My VSS clunk has been fixed. Steering rack was replaced with an updated version. Steering feel with the new version is also improved especially in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0