F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M Sport Worst Ride in a BMW ever!
GetBMWParts

10-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Jahman
Rep
Drives: F30 320d MSport

M Sport Worst Ride in a BMW ever!

My 320d M Sport came on Goodyear Run Flats (18's) and to be honest this is the worst ride and handling I have ever experienced in a BMW. It feels "nervous" and jittery. The suspension / tyres seem to be unable to cope with the slightest of bumps and causes the car to jump around every time it encounters the slightest bump.

My previous car was an E90 M Sport also on 18's but with even lower profile Bridgestone tyres (40 front 35 rear). despite this the handling and ride were far superior.

Are the Goodyear run Flats to blame or do all M Sports ride this way?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

all runflats are not great yet
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I have 20" Pirelli run flats on mine. Roads in MA are not the friendliest to this set up, however, my complaint stems from the way the car bottoms out if I hit a bump at night (i avoid them pretty well during the day). Car stays solid and on track though, just makes that annoying "clunk". I attribute this to the lopro format, but I guess in your case it could be the tires. This is my first experience with the RF. I am going to switch to Pirreli 18" all seasons in a week or so, so I am curious if there will be any difference in handling. All and all I love the way mine drives now.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahman View Post
My 320d M Sport came with 19" Bridgestones and I find the ride quite smooth. I do have the Adaptive Suspension too though so I don't know if that helps.
      10-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
F555
Captain
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 - 335i

Quote:
My 320d M Sport came on Goodyear Run Flats (18's) and to be honest this is the worst ride and handling I have ever experienced in a BMW. It feels "nervous" and jittery. The suspension / tyres seem to be unable to cope with the slightest of bumps and causes the car to jump around every time it encounters the slightest bump.

My previous car was an E90 M Sport also on 18's but with even lower profile Bridgestone tyres (40 front 35 rear). despite this the handling and ride were far superior.

mine also have Goodyear Run Flats as OEM, have the worst ride, very unforgiving on potholes, loss its grip & jumps while cornering.
Finally couldn't stand it after 2 months, replace them with Advan DB (non-Runflats) & never been happier.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

OP, the Goodyear EfficientGrip ROF tire is often complained about by other forum members. Did you order the mixed summer tire option (225/45 and 255/40)? If so, really surprising BMW is installing these on MSport cars. Its a step down tire when compared to the Bridgestone S001 or even the Pirelli P7.

The EfficientGrip is a summer tire, but NOT a performance summer tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Jahman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
OP, Did you order the mixed summer tire option (225/45 and 255/40)? .
We don't get a choice of tyres when we order the car in the UK.

The make of tyres you end up with seems down to the luck of the draw!

If I had a choice I would have gone for the Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

op, are the back tires the same size as the front tires. i wont accept delivery if my car has the goodyears.
      10-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We don't get a choice of tyres when we order the car in the UK.

The make of tyres you end up with seems down to the luck of the draw!

If I had a choice I would have gone for the Michelins.
Make of tire is always luck of the draw with BMW, but the EfficientGrip is a downgrade and BMW should not put it in the same class as the Bridgestone S001 or Pirelli P7.

BTW, don't think Michelin has a Performance Summer Runflat in 225/45/18 and 255/40/18. At least not in US.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
op, are the back tires the same size as the front tires. i wont accept delivery if my car has the goodyears.
Justin, BMW AG knows better and wouldn't dare install those on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I find the RFT's on my M-Sport are far better riding than all the RFT's I have had on E90's.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Justin, BMW AG knows better and wouldn't dare install those on your car.
lol. When i was walking around the lot the other day they had about 6 msports with style 400 wheels. i think i saw 4 cars with bridgestones and 2 cars with pirellis so wordt case i will make them swap rims with another car, i hope it doesnt come to that because i dont want no flat spots on the tires, those cars been sitting there for a few weeks now. I think i will get the bridgestone or pirellis.
      10-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
lol. When i was walking around the lot the other day they had about 6 msports with style 400 wheels. i think i saw 4 cars with bridgestones and 2 cars with pirellis so wordt case i will make them swap rims with another car, i hope it doesnt come to that because i dont want no flat spots on the tires, those cars been sitting there for a few weeks now. I think i will get the bridgestone or pirellis.
I hear you about flatspots, but wouldn't worry too much about it. A few miles of driving and heating them up and you'll be OK. None of those MSports could be sitting that long. Push for the S001s if you have to swap. And, compare German built to SA. Likely a different wheel OEM or different wheel factory.

I doubt it would come down to this, but don't let them swap tires on your wheels. Even though they have a leverless tire mounting machine, there's potential for slightly marking up the lip of your rims (if the operator isn't careful and doesn't use enough lube). Avoid it whenever possible.

BTW, I'm surprised they are ordering MSports for inventory with the 400M wheels. Or are they mostly 328 MSport? Not that I don't like the 400M, its just in So FL dealers usually order the bling when they order higher end models for inventory.

Last edited by claykin; 10-26-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you about flatspots, but wouldn't worry too much about it. A few miles of driving and heating them up and you'll be OK. None of those MSports could be sitting that long. Push for the S001s if you have to swap.

I doubt it would come down to this, but don't let them swap tires on your wheels. Even though they have a leverless tire mounting machine, there's potential for slightly marking up the lip of your rims (if the operator isn't careful and doesn't use enough lube). Avoid it whenever possible.
Good point. yea, i will prob have them swap wheels with a car that has the s001's.
      10-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

What are your tyre pressures? Are you sure there aren't any transportation packing blocks in the springs????

The 328i I tested was on standard suspension, fitted with 18" wheels and the Goodyear EfficientGrip ROF. It was the first BMW car where I could not say, from the seat, I was on RFTs. OK, I wasn't testing the tyres for all out performance, but as a ride they were faultless on all types of road, only issue, they were just too noisy. I can't imagine the new (and softer) M-sport suspension will cause such a dramatic change to any tyre.

I don't think the tyre make will be the reason for the ride issues you are speaking of. Not read such negatives about a jittery, nervous ride in the F30.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I have 18 inch staggered ConitSportContact 5 RFT's on my M Sport and they feel great!
      10-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Commanderke
Rep
Drives: /

I've got the 18" M wheels with non RFT winter tyres. Very soft ride even in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Suka View Post
I have 18 inch staggered ConitSportContact 5 RFT's on my M Sport and they feel great!
I have Contis as well and so far they seem very good.
      10-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Jahman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What are your tyre pressures? Are you sure there aren't any transportation packing blocks in the springs????

The 328i I tested was on standard suspension, fitted with 18" wheels and the Goodyear EfficientGrip ROF. It was the first BMW car where I could not say, from the seat, I was on RFTs. OK, I wasn't testing the tyres for all out performance, but as a ride they were faultless on all types of road, only issue, they were just too noisy. I can't imagine the new (and softer) M-sport suspension will cause such a dramatic change to any tyre.

I don't think the tyre make will be the reason for the ride issues you are speaking of. Not read such negatives about a jittery, nervous ride in the F30.

HighlandPete
I have checked tyre pressures and they as recommended by BMW.

The rear suspension is now making a squeaking noise when going over bumps!

I will check to see if they have left any transportation packing blocks in the springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #20
Jahman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
HighlandPete
Jacked the rear of car up at the weekend - and found packing blocks on the top of the dampers - Had them removed by my local dealer and the ride and handling is now amazing!

I am just shocked that the supplying dealer managed to leave these in - Will be having a "conversation" with themtoday!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #21
somekurtguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Grey 328i M-Sport

yikes
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jacked the rear of car up at the weekend - and found packing blocks on the top of the dampers - Had them removed by my local dealer and the ride and handling is now amazing!

I am just shocked that the supplying dealer managed to leave these in - Will be having a "conversation" with themtoday!
Glad you found the issue. This type of stupidity should be good for some free BMW swag or a free service of two (unless you get free maintenance like the US). Good luck and enjoy your car.

Curious, in the US are these blocks removed at the VPC or is it the dealers responsibility?
Appreciate 0