F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Best Third-Party Extended Warranty?!
Studio RSR

10-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #23
RUDSBMR
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sportline

Unfortunately a CA registered vehicle cannot purchase an out of state BMW NA Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 01:24 AM   #24
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDSBMR View Post
Unfortunately a CA registered vehicle cannot purchase an out of state BMW NA Warranty.
Yes they can, though the SELLER might appear to break a California law....just like buying merchandise on internet and you not paying State the sales tax or the 125 year old California Law that makes it a Felony to disclose their ballot choices at the poll (think exit polling and celebrities posting selfies voting) which has a max 4 year prison sentence.

However, you would not be the one breaking the law (the seller would be the one in this case) and as Insurance is covered by BMW NA really does not matter who or where it's sold to you.
Appreciate 1
oolas3387.00
      10-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #25
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVBFTW View Post
how is he selling these out of state without an inspection?
Inspection only needed on the very limited CPO Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Just wanted to chime in and say that I recently bought BMW Platinum from Jeff at Passport. Great price and service. I couldn't be happier.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
gabeyts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport

Quote:
The newer/lower mileage the car is, the cheaper the warranty tends to be. If you know you're going to keep the car long term, buy it now for a lower price.

As I've said in other threads, if you're not doing a BMW branded warranty, the only companies I would consider are:

Fidelity
The Warranty Group
EFG

These will be cheaper than OEM, but are not the cheapest out there. I deal with warranty companies for work every day, and these are the only three I'd consider buying myself.

You want Platinum coverage as well- anything less is setting yourself up for an issue down the line.
Where can one get these from? Doesn't seem apparent on their sites. I have a CPO warranty coming to the end soon. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #28
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I have to tell I just came off a GREAT experience with Geico MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) on my 2011 335D.
  • Im 45 years old and have had 30+ automobiles (12+ of which were BMWs - guess I need to count again) I have NEVER had an extended warranty
  • I am not affiliated with Geico in any way shape or form – Im in the IT industry
  • I was always with AAA up until the 335

Here's the skinny based on MY experience
  • You have to have Geico auto insurance on the car
  • You have to be the original registered owner of the car
  • You have to add the coverage at under 15,000 miles (so yes there is overlap between the manufacturers coverage and Geico – so yes you are paying for something you don’t need for a while)
  • My coverage was $7 per month (so yes I prepaid but only about $168 for my 24 months of my overlap)
  • Coverage is good for 7 years from the date you add or 100k miles
  • EVERYTHING that is not maintenance is covered (idrive – to window regulators – to catalytic converters to – engine mounts – trust me I know)
  • There is a $250 deductible per visit – not per item – so if your NAV, IDrive, Injector and a motormount go out as long as its fixed on the same visit its just $250

I had my car exclusively serviced at Sterling BMW in Newport Beach CA and the only difference when it went from factory to Geico coverage was I paid $250 at pickup – other than that experience 100% the same – loaner car etc…
Anyhoo it served me well with my 335D and I would highly recommend it for those that are looking – just my 2-cents worth.

Last edited by chenry; 06-16-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 02:32 AM   #29
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I have to tell I just came off a GREAT experience with Geico MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) on my 2011 335D.
  • Im 45 years old and have had 30+ automobiles (12+ of which were BMWs - guess I need to count again) I have NEVER had an extended warranty
  • I am not affiliated with Geico in any way shape or form – Im in the IT industry
  • I was always with AAA up until the 335

Here's the skinny
  • You have to have Geico auto insurance on the car
  • You have to be the original registered owner of the car
  • You have to add the coverage at under 15,000 miles (so yes there is overlap between the manufacturers coverage and Geico – so yes you are paying for something you don’t need for a while)
  • My coverage was $7 per month (so yes I prepaid but only about $168 for my 24 months of my overlap)
  • Coverage is good for 7 years from the date you add or 100k miles
  • EVERYTHING that is not maintenance is covered (idrive – to window regulators – to catalytic converters to – engine mounts – trust me I know)
  • There is a $250 deductible per visit – not per item – so if your NAV, IDrive, Injector and a motormount go out as long as its fixed on the same visit its just $250

I had my car exclusively serviced at Sterling BMW in Newport Beach CA and the only difference when it went from factory to Geico coverage was I paid $250 at pickup – other than that experience 100% the same – loaner car etc…
Anyhoo it served me well with my 335D and I would highly recommend it for those that are looking – just my 2-cents worth.
Your info is outdated. Probably was correct when you had a 335d.

Now you have to have (and pay) from day 1 so you pay 4 years upfront before you even need. They will not add on after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #30
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Your info is outdated. Probably was correct when you had a 335d.

Now you have to have (and pay) from day 1 so you pay 4 years upfront before you even need. They will not add on after the fact.
Hmmm we seem to be getting conflicting information from Geico - they are telling me (just hung up the phone with them in that I wanted to ensure I could add it) that it can be added anytime up to 15months of ownership (to original registered owner) or 15K whichever comes first. But not here to belabor the point or defend Geico (I'm confident they told you the opposite) - just passing on info based on my experiences Thanks for your response

ps-when I asked them "then why would I ad it on now vs waiting" and the response was really no reason other than the glass coverage that comes with MBI (free chip repair / and windshield replacement for $50)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #31
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Hmmm we seem to be getting conflicting information from Geico - they are telling me (just hung up the phone with them in that I wanted to ensure I could add it) that it can be added anytime up to 15months of ownership (to original registered owner) or 15K whichever comes first. But not here to belabor the point or defend Geico (I'm confident they told you the opposite) - just passing on info based on my experiences Thanks for your response

ps-when I asked them "then why would I ad it on now vs waiting" and the response was really no reason other than the glass coverage that comes with MBI (free chip repair / and windshield replacement for $50)

Well, I had GEICO from day one.

Somehow about 2 years ago I realized I was being charged for it. As it was a lease and I wasn't planning on keeping (not to mention it was worthless to me at the time with 4 year warranty), I cancelled it.

Jump ahead 2 years to March 2017. Decided to keep car and went shopping for EW.

They were my first call.

Told me I had to have it from the beginning. Could not add it now. BTW, I was well under 15K miles. In fact under 10k miles.

Regardless, whether on Day 1 or prior 1 year, 3 months, you are still paying for almost 3 years while covered under factory warranty.

It's not as easy to get as your original post infers as that post did not include prior to 15th month of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

Sounds to me like a fantastic option if you know within the first 15 months that you're going to keep your car. Funniest thing about this thread is that I saw the options for their MBI because of this post and then went to first get a quote for my auto insurance and they will save me roughly $500/year over my State Farm to start with so in my case not only does the MBI look like a great deal but over the next 7 years I also will save $3500 in base insurance cost. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #33
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GCSTL View Post
Sounds to me like a fantastic option if you know within the first 15 months that you're going to keep your car. Funniest thing about this thread is that I saw the options for their MBI because of this post and then went to first get a quote for my auto insurance and they will save me roughly $500/year over my State Farm to start with so in my case not only does the MBI look like a great deal but over the next 7 years I also will save $3500 in base insurance cost. Love it.
See thats the boat I'm in - i dont "think" I'm going to keep the car past the OEM warranty but if I do boy am I going to be kicking myself for not adding the MBI. I think I'll add at the last possible moment, so yeah I'll be pre-paying a bit (they quoted me $10 a month) but maybe only for approx 20 months so for $200 in prepayments and then $10 a month, for me, it's well worth it.

But now that I'm typing this....the"glass" coverage (included with MBI) comes to mind, I used that on my 335D a couple times, and it was easy breezy. Geico simply dispatched SafeLite for me. Soooo while I dont have MBI now - maybe I should get it and consider it "glass coverage" until the full oem warranty is gone - $10 per month, for me, living in LA with all crap that gets up kicked is probably worth it for free chip repair and $50 windshield replacement....that certainly does fall outside the factory warranty

Hmmm seems like I am starting to sound like i work for Geico HA - nope - just super stoked on the experience I had on my last car.

PS- one other thing I forgot to mention that worked out really well for me....its transferable, when you go to sell your car as long as the person will be insuring the car with Geico, they can simply pick up your MBI coverage...pay the monthly amount etc... This was a great selling point for me when I sold my 335D...I was able to sell that car with the remainder of the 7/100 policy to the new owner, who now was bumper to bumper coverage for another 18k miles or 15 months. Worry free purchase for him and zero transfer fees (he switched to Geico simply to keep the MBI)

**Disclaimer**
your personal experience may be different than mine - so take my Geico posts for what they are....a simple recount of my experience with them - at this point I think I'm done posting on Geico - don't have much more to add - and not going to debate specifics - you now know how it benefited me.....good luck and happy shopping all

Last edited by chenry; 06-18-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
rickybscs
Registered
Rep
Drives: Metallic Gray '06 330i

Autonation Warranty

Anyone have experience with Autonation warranty?

I just bought a 2010 550i GT from them with the dreaded N63 engine. SHould've done the homework on that engine.

Anyway, its currently under their "complimentary" 4k mile, 90 day warranty.

I asked about extending. Their quote was $4200 for 36mo. 40k more miles.

I will happily pay it if it will cover those valve stem seals.

FWIW Autonation owns the BMW dealership near me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #35
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
The newer/lower mileage the car is, the cheaper the warranty tends to be. If you know you're going to keep the car long term, buy it now for a lower price.

As I've said in other threads, if you're not doing a BMW branded warranty, the only companies I would consider are:

Fidelity
The Warranty Group
EFG

These will be cheaper than OEM, but are not the cheapest out there. I deal with warranty companies for work every day, and these are the only three I'd consider buying myself.

You want Platinum coverage as well- anything less is setting yourself up for an issue down the line.

JVBFTW, I PM'd you a question about warranties. Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #36
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Thanks. Maybe an email notification will catch his attention.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #37
Borracho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

A Deployment Proof Warranty

I know this is an old thread, and I'm new to the forum, but I had similar questions asked recently by NickNaz in the resurrected thread.

We are a military family and move quite a bit. I am hoping someone here can help me navigate the warranty world.

I'm considering buying a "Just off Lease" BMW, probably a series 3 or 5. One of the vehicles I'm looking at is 3 years old with about 25k miles. The car will have about a year left on the BMW warranty, but would I like to have it protected longer. In addition to the remaining warranty, the vehicle will have a 1 year OPC warranty, which I understand is limited and not worth much.

Should I purchase a BMW extended warranty, or go with one of the third party ones listed previously in this thread? I want to be able to bring it back to any BMW dealer in the country without any problems. I just want them to fix it. If I get deployed my wife needs to know where to take it if there are problems. And I want a dealer/warranty I can count on.

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #38
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borracho View Post
I know this is an old thread, and I'm new to the forum, but I had similar questions asked recently by NickNaz in the resurrected thread.

We are a military family and move quite a bit. I am hoping someone here can help me navigate the warranty world.

I'm considering buying a "Just off Lease" BMW, probably a series 3 or 5. One of the vehicles I'm looking at is 3 years old with about 25k miles. The car will have about a year left on the BMW warranty, but would I like to have it protected longer. In addition to the remaining warranty, the vehicle will have a 1 year OPC warranty, which I understand is limited and not worth much.

Should I purchase a BMW extended warranty, or go with one of the third party ones listed previously in this thread? I want to be able to bring it back to any BMW dealer in the country without any problems. I just want them to fix it. If I get deployed my wife needs to know where to take it if there are problems. And I want a dealer/warranty I can count on.

Any help would be appreciated!
USAA for all your coverage as you are military
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #39
sgraham
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335is

I have a 2013 335is with 23,000 miles. I only put 2,000 miles per year max on the car. The dealer is offering Easycare Totalcare 5 years for $5k. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #40
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham View Post
I have a 2013 335is with 23,000 miles. I only put 2,000 miles per year max on the car. The dealer is offering Easycare Totalcare 5 years for $5k. Thoughts?
Doesn't seem worth it at all if your car will only have 33,000 miles on it by the time that warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #41
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

I got Route66 thru PenFed for $2995 for 100K Miles or 5yrs. So far used them for a very first and only repair worth $1100, approved right away.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #42
dvdit
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-F30 View Post
I got Route66 thru PenFed for $2995 for 100K Miles or 5yrs. So far used them for a very first and only repair worth $1100, approved right away.
I am looking into Route66 thru Penfed as well. What was repaired?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #43
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdit View Post
Quote:
I am looking into Route66 thru Penfed as well. What was repaired?
It was the front passenger door actuator and steering boot cuz it would make noise every time I turn the wheel left or right
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #44
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
I have the same Route 66 Easy Street plan with the electronics rider for the same price through my CU. Exclusionary with no deductible, it covers a lot.

So far they've only paid for my oil pan gasket since that's all I've had go wrong but I have 25k left of coverage. My second gear synchro is starting to give up, already had them confirm coverage so they'll likely be getting me a new transmission soon.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1